Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was The Blackout a Success?

Options
  • 17-11-2001 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

Well it depends on what your aims are. Some people here wanted a 5 minute effort that would bring eircom to their knees, this just wasn’t going to ever happen.
    Some people say that very few people stayed offline and few people turned up on the day, so?

The overall objective was to get the cause noticed, ioffl was mentioned in at least 3 national newspapers and several Irish sites, ive already seen an inflow of new members,

Many groups would kill for this PR and all we had to do was stage a stunt, which this basically was. It was a “look at us, look at what we have been forced to resort to by eircom" more then anything else it was a metaphor for the situation here, and quiet an ingenious one at that. So don't measure the success of this in how wide spread it was, but how much attention we got for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

I dont know about the rest of ye but i think it was a HUGE! Success. Not only did it make and enormous amount of people aware of what was happening.... but it brought people that have never meet, togeather. Eircon are being exposed for what they are and in time the Monoply will no longer be theirs. They know now that we will not be ignored OR go away. And i hope what they consider to be a Thorn In their Side will soon fester and KILL them becaouse there is only one cure. Admit they are wrong and give the people what the want.

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Id say it was a great success in terms of the publicity generated. The fact i had 2 people i know ask me about it brought it home that there was a fair amount of media coverage generated.
    Im also pretty proud that i managed to stay off the net in work (had to wait till today to see that new star wars trailer!)

Well done to all involved:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Corko

We need to focus in on price - look what UTV are offering in the north. If a can a beans was 12p more expensive - they'd be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i agree. i was at a wedding in caark and someone asked me if i had heard about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Well Elana had said in the Lite FM Interview that if 10 ppl didn't use the net for the day on foot of the Blackout, then that would be a success. So I guess we definitely achieved that.

In the hour or two I was on Grafton St. we definitley got the message across to ppl who stopped to listen, which was also was an aim..."To further educate the public"- also judging the by the amount of leaflets that everyone on duty siad we went through, people were anxious to read about it.

I dont think any single event or action on the part of IrelandOffline will have the effect a magic wand but the Blackout along w/ other events, has and will, create the requisite SnowBall effect:)

BTW- Handing out leaflets on Grafton St. (to my suprise) seems like a good way to pick up some chicks- think I might just randomnly print off flyers w/ my e-mail address and try it again;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by 80project
    BTW- Handing out leaflets on Grafton St. (to my suprise) seems like a good way to pick up some chicks- think I might just randomnly print off flyers w/ my e-mail address and try it again;)

tehehe dirty bast***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Glad

That was you? i thought it was scutty, or was he even there

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by 80project
    lol ... i know! I was hoping the others weren't noticing the streams of good-looking girls all walking bye with black-out leaflets :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Absolutely it was.

The idea was "embarrassing publicity". The I.T. , the cover of wired, the news on radio stations. Wow.
    You even forced Eircom to issue a non-denial denial. A sure sign someone heard something they didnt like :)

Well done, congrats.

People were asking me all day "do you think it will be successful?" ... like Eircom was ever going to come out with a statement that said "Well... they have a point... and OMG! No! They are using SARCASM with us... quickly... roll out broadband!!!"

Eircom do not want to even acknoledge your existance, the fact that they denied it had any effect is huge...

My simple answer to the question was the same all day....
    "Successful... *shrug* well... you're asking me about it arent you?"

Congrats guys.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It most definitely WAS a success.

We handed out over 1,300 leaflets, - and I didn't see one person bin a leaflet... in fact, most of them I saw stopping in the street to read it in detail (!!!)

This publicity (on Grafton St.) and the sheer amount of radio and newspaper coverage NATIONWIDE for this event, means that the message has gotten out there... and that is exactly what we wanted.

PS: Glad- sutty (not "scutty") WAS there, as was 80project. sutty was the quieter dude wearing the nice big dark coat... 80p was the slightly louder one with a -'sorta'- goatee ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

/me waits for dahamsta to claim "the Grafton St. protest cost Irish businesses £49Million in revenue that day..."

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Bard
    80p was the slightly louder one with a -'sorta'- goatee ;)

I think that "sorta" refers to something like this

**cough**
    Glad will you use the spellcheck or @ least re-read your posts like a good lad ("scutty"...LOL)
    **end cough**

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

I reckon there must be all these folks on the plane back to New Zealand at the moment discussing the terrible state of internet access in Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

It was one helluva success. When I get my non-techy relations asking me about it I know the word has spread far and wide. The committee and all the supporters should be applauded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dobdobdo

Was The Blackout a Success?

What is success?

If one user/person stayed offline on friday because of the blackout?

Some media publicised the blackout?

The Blackout had the support of the vast majority of irelandOFFline and boards.ie visitors?

Are we anyway nearer to cheaper internet access or receiving Broadband/ADSL/DSL on par with the rest of the w.w.w.?

We'll It's all Relative

Rome was'nt built in a day

There will always be begrudgers.

Congrats to everyone involved

"If you shout loud enough you will be heard" :)

Advertisement