Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About Publicity...

Options
  • 17-11-2001 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Okay I think everybody involved with the blackout yesterday, deserves a thorough round of applause, unfortunately I had to watch the action from the sidelines, but in the aftermath, I have been asking people over in Ireland (friends, parents) if they had heard of the blackout day, and all said no. One of my friends studies computing, and he asked some of his other computing friends if they had heard and no again was the answer, now I asked because I wanted to see just how much publicity you had gotten, and it appears not enough. This in no way is meant however to belittle the actions of the group, like I said in a previous post, if you just publicise a little in each campaign, you're doing well, and I think that with elena's and MS's efforts, a lot more people did get told (sorry for leaving all the others out, but apparently from what I've been reading they were the stars of the show, apart from adam of course but he got enough fame from wired alone).

This however is not what I came to write because while speaking with my father, he said something to me that made me think, he said that no he hadn't heard a thing about it, but that he usually does hear about things like that, so I said how, and he replied that because of his job (he works at trying to develop community projects aimed at reducing the drugs problem) he receives notices about actions such as these. I then asked him from where and he told me from a group called "combat poverty network". So what I was thinking is that you could get in touch with this organisation (depending of course on whether their aims and goals are similar enough to your own) and then keep them informed as to your actions, and they have a huge mailing list with which you can get cheap advertisement for the next campaign. Now where I see the link between yourselves and combat poverty is in that they want to combat poverty and one of the biggest factors contributing to poverty is a lack of readily available information (of which the internet is the readiest), and in order to deliver that to the poverty stricken they need to lower the costs, and an impoverished person could do with shaving a few quid off their bills also (sorry if this sounds condescending, but its just meant to be entirely logical).

This is there website address http://www.iol.ie/~eapn/ so you can check them out if you want.

Also both of my friends are students and had never heard about the blackout, and perhaps students more than anyone could do with a decently priced decent internet connection, so if you could get onto the students union of ireland that might also provide some decent cheap advertising their website is here http://www.usi.ie/, and if you get the right students involved you can have a lot of helpers involved in getting the word out.

Anyway these ideas come from my frustration at not being able to help in a personal capacity, and I hope you find them of some use.

Baz_

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

hup!!! sorry but I think you might not have noticed this, you can lock it if you have.

Advertisement