Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Motorised System

• 18-11-2001 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm thinking of buying a motorised system but I hear they are fairly expensive. Could anyone give me a ball park figure of what I could expect to pay for one with a good receiver. Even if possible break it into: price of receiver, dish and installation costs. I live in a standard 2 storey house with easy acess to an installation point if that would help in the pricing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

I have been told that Toner Electric in waterford do a complete FTA system for £1200.

If you are experienced at positioning Dish's than you can save money but if you are not, then an LNb meter is a must to get the right arc.

You will decide what Satellites you want to go for.

So if its the standard Sat's with the "E" co-ordinates then a 1M dish will suite you fine but if you wanna go for Thor or any Extreme Degree SAT then a 2M up dish is need.

You must decide if you want to go completely FTA or if you are going to get offical viewing cards or "non" offical viewing cards so then you need to know the decryption system of the channel you want to view.

EG..Via Access, SECA, blah blah blah :)

Then you choose the CAM to match the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 newtosatellite

Thanks for the info. No I wouldn't have any experience at positioning dish's so the price would need to be an all inclusive price. Would I need a 1 meter dish to get all the continental channels - a smaller dish would'nt do?

I would probably need viewing cards. Are the non-official cards easy to come by - are they reliable and what sort of ball park price would they be? How much are the official ones.

Would the price above include a receiver with a cam like the ones you mentioned?

BTW I live in Cork.

Sorry for all the questions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Living in cork would mean that you need a 1M as a starter.

What channels exactly do you want to watch? [be very specific]

check www.lyngsat.com and see what digital packages you like.

But just knowing what you wanna watch is not enough if you want ot get it in a non offical sense.

you need to buy programming cards blank viewing cards and loader programmes, and if there no loader programme to auto programme the card to a set package then you need to actually know what keys to apply to the card.

this from the outset will seem complex and needs lots of you time.

if you want to go the offical route then you may be able to import a decoder for the given package you want to watch [assuming that all the channels are under the same decryption and dont include pr0n....or does that law still exist??]

i could go on forever here.

my advice is to read websites and learn more about this even if someone else is going to install it.
    know what you want and then you will be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 catdog

For a dish over 1m you need a planning permission or decent neighbours. Also you need to have fairly unobstructed view to the South from the point where the dish is going to be mounted with wide angle to the East and West.
    Get a well built motor or else you can end up buying a new one after a winter storm.
    I have a motorised system in Galway, 1m dish, secured wall mount (with a steel wire). If you buy it abroad it costs below £500 for a very decent new set (Triax dish 110x100 £44, Motor £106 Stab HH120, Receiver Humax 5400 £331, wall mount £8). And they will carry it on the plane it is considered an oversized luggage. It took me a couple of days with no previous experience to set it up.
    And off you go 25 satellites will line up for you. Bear in mind that 3 of them carry 90% of all programs so unless you are a feed hunter you will end up watching Astra's and Hotbird.
    The rest about coding is as per previous posts. Good luck.

I had a motorised 1.5 meter dish here for ages and had great fun with it - especially in that you could pick up feeds to news rooms of live reports,and you got to see them, practising their lines/combing their hair and wait for it , smoking cigars, whilst waiting to come on News at ten or something!

Unfortunately-when the grass got bare in the field beside the dish,the sheep came in , no matter how good the fence and ate the cables!
    Which by the way, couldn't have tasted half as good as Chocolate Kimberly,which,I'm going to get down at the 24 in a minute......
    mm

• Advertisement
Advertisement