Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

work placements

• 18-11-2001 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Im doing computing in college and weve got work placements in feb. But only handfull have interviews let alone jobs yet, its worrying at this stage. Is anyone in this boat?? Is it the general IT recession to do with it , but I thought companies are obilaged to take on undergraduates. ???

Any feed back would be good.

hertz..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

I had the same experience last year when my class were going on work placement from june - december.some ppl didn't get jobs until august.I was lucky though, i was one of the first to get a placement.It was n the IT dept in Galway county Council. It was a very interesting six months to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I think the best place to start is the county council's, I know a friend of mine got a job there for his work placement. On my course we have to do three work placement in second year, AFAIK the college gets you the interviews, but after that its up to yourself to get the job, and if you don't get the job that they get the interview for, you have to go and find your own job.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Clare co. Council will be lookin for someone from janurary... maybe worth a go. I'm on work placement with them at the moment... the work is varied, u'll get plenty of experience.

And as lump sayed the college uaually gets the interviews but they do allow u get your own as long as u keep them informed, and don't be too picky with where u go either... as u can see i wasn't ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Originally posted by hertz
    Is it the general IT recession to do with it

Yep, that's what happens in reccessions.
    ...but I thought companies are obilaged to take on undergraduates. ???

Nope,
    I don't know where you got that idea from.

- Kevin

HA HA, if they were obliged to take on the undergraduates then I would just stay like that for every and keep a job:)

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Have a look around for small, recently started, programming companies. While they mightn't have the stability/finances for taking on long term employees, they might find a work placement student for a handful of months very useful. The trick is to chance your arm. The most they can do is say 'no'.

Or kill you....... which could happen, it could I swear.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

The mafia isn't a small company 8)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I did a 5 month work placement last summer (well between April and the end of August).

One week after I started my placement there was a general employee meeting. 70 lay-offs were announced and all the projects that were being worked on were canned.

So I spent 4 and a half months sitting around on IRc, surfing the web and eating mammoth fried breakfasts.

I really should have done something useful with my time with Linux or Programming but I didn't.

I was just hitting the start of the recession then, but it has really got going now and finding placements for everyone is proving hard afaik. Most people I know who are going on placement have nothing secured yet.

On the good side of things, a lot of companies will still be hiring co-ops as they probably won't have to break hiring freezes to do it and co-ops are a lot cheaper people to use to do all those time consuming things qualified engineers don't have the time to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

I know what your going through my college where ment to get work placements last year for us, but they could only place a couple of people in are class at the local county council, the rest of us had to get the placements areselves i got a job working on a large communication companys website. My advise to you is to open up the yellow pages and send off CV's to 20 or 30 different companies asking/begging them for work experience. If you dont get a place us your spare time to learn all about LINUX, theres loads of jobs out there for UNIX admins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement