Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks

Options
  • 18-11-2001 1:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just a quick note of thanks. I'm not going to mention names (or handles), because I'll definitely miss someone out, and they'll be insulted, and I'll never hear the end of it. So I really just want to say "thanks". You know who you are, you know what you did, and you did it fantastically well. IrelandOffline will never be seen as a "bunch of greedy geeks" again. Now we're regarded as a valuable and professional lobby group, and that's mostly down to you, not us.

The actual tangible success of yesterday's initiative can never be measured, but it was far more successful than I think any of us ever imagined it would be. I've been saying from the start that this is about people, not companies; and education, not disruption, and yesterday proved that. We didn't disrupt, we educated, and that's what counts.

Make no mistake though, we have a long way to go yet. We need to get the Communications Bill passed before it's too late; before it's sidelined by the abortion referendum and the general election. We need to get FRIACO and bitstream products rolled out tomorrow, and we need to get them rolled out at fair, cost-oriented prices. And if they aren't rolled out, we need to get the companies responsible back to explain why.

In the next few weeks, IrelandOffline is going to be working very hard to achieve those ends. With our new-found recognition, we're going to be talking to more politicians and telling them exactly why the Communications Bill is so important. We're going to see about another public meeting, and if it becomes necessary, we're going to bring the people from the first seminar back and ask the same questions again, and again, until we get valid answers.

That means we have a lot of work in front of us. We can't just sit back and enjoy the moment, because we have to restructure, plan, and organise. I explained a lot of our plans to the members who came for a few pints with us last night, and I think they'll agree that we're getting more organised by the day, and that we have a structure, a methodology, and a clear roadmap for the future, and that it's a good one.

However, all of this means that we're not going to be here to answer questions as much as we'd like. Just like the period after the seminar, the IrelandOffline committee is going to a bit quieter than usual, and that won't be because we're doing less, but because we're doing more. So in the lee of the storm, I want to ask you to be patient with us. If you're feeling negative, I want you to tell us, but I want you to give us a chance to respond.

Most importantly though, we're going to need your help, even more than ever before. What I said about writing to TD's and representatve organisations on the website wasn't there just for the sake of it, it was to encourage you to really do that. So while we're working for you, we want you to work for us. Get out the writing paper and that old-fashioned biro, and write it down. If you've done it before, do it again.

Write down how much the Internet is costing you, and how much it's costing your friends around the world. Tell them just how unhappy, how angry you are with the situation in Ireland, and that your vote in the general election is going to be swayed by your TD's plan of action on this matter. Tell your representative organisations, like IBEC and the CAI, that they aren't doing enough to make change, and that they have to make it an issue.

If they don't reply, write to them again. And again, and again, until you get an answer. If the answer is wrong, write back and explain why it's wrong, and if you need help with that, all you need to do is ask us. Because we have to continue to educate, and make people understand. We'll be doing our very best to get your message across, but we need to get them ringing us, not the other way around.

So we all have work ahead of us, lots of work, but maybe, just maybe, we won't have to work so hard in future to get ourselves heard, because of your work yesterday, and in the last couple of weeks. Once again, thanks for that. Keep it up! :D

adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ru1nzx

sniff dont make us start cryin :D

i think you sumed it up, irelandoffline has gotten a long way and will keep going in the future :)

we aint gunna give up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

If it were not for you! and people like you in IOFFL we would not have gotten this far. I would LOVE to see any PIC's ye have of the protest in Dublin. E mentioned that some guy gave a flyer to and Eircon guy in a van ROFLMBO. There was an Eircon van beside us too and i was looking for Cellotape to stick one or 10 Flyers onto it but he escaped! Lucky GIT! hehehe :) Has anyone got some Pic's to share ? We never thought of a camera but im sure someone out there has some really good pic's :)

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sellotaping them on to an Eircom van would have been one thing... probably not the best idea... doing what Elana did was a different matter ... tucking it under the windscreen wiper and taking a photo... - I'm sure we'll see that photo soon.

The van was there for 3/4 of an hour - she couldn't resist ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Well I suppose in the same manner as Adam has broached the subject (i.e. w/out trying to leave anyone out)....

For all who were involved in the organisation, publicisation and distribution of leaflets etc. on Grafton St.....

Please raise your right arm w/ palm facing towards you, then lower behind right shoulder and begin patting (I think you get what I mean;)) You did good:)

Also Praise is due to Adam for averting a potentially fatal fire hazard on Grafton St. If he didn't have a trusty bottle of water @ hand to extinguish the inferno who knows what could have ensued.

The ppl of Dublin owe you big time;)
    Respect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Still can't find the adapter for the camera, durnit.

And I want to thank everyone for all their support and kindness...I think we all know at this point that Adam is going to be a great PRO, and it's time for him to take the "Acting" out of his .sig.

I just have a wee bit too much going on in my world right now to focus on IrelandOffline the way it deserves, so even tho I'm still going to be on the committee (along with the silent hubby), I am stepping down offically as PRO. Adam, you have already shown that you kick ass, so let's let you completely loose on the media, eh? :-) They won't know what hit them.

I'll still be perusing the boards, but once FRIACO, er, Baby Kehoe appears, I'll let you all know...

E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

This software localisation quality assurance engineer (unemployed) would like to apologize for forgeting abouut the blackout on friday. But just so you know I was buzy painting my room and didnt use the internet or phone all day :)

Cheers to all those that did show up on friday, may your brains continue to work better than mine.

PS: Anyone in need of a software tester PM me, I work for beer :D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by ekehoe
    I think we all know at this point that Adam is going to be a great PRO, and it's time for him to take the "Acting" out of his .sig.

First: Elana, a BIG vote of thanks for being a superb PRO. You are big-time responsible for much of the high profile IrelandOffline has achieved to date, and don't think we don't recognise it.

Knowing that you have a lot going on at the moment, I want to propose a major vote of confidence for Adam to fill your shoes. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but we have as good an incoming PRO as we have outgoing. Adam, step up. Played, my man. The Blackout was an inspiration to us all; your posts here are an ongoing inspiration. If it's possible, I support this organisation even more fully than before. Let's get some serious business done.

Solidarity, siblings!!

Advertisement