Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying senders of anonymous emails?

• 08-06-2000 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

If a person wants to find out who is sending them emails of a personal nature, thru a hotmail account - is there anyway to track them down from the message itself.
    The emails contain private personal details, but sender refuses to identify him/herself, but wishes to engage in correspondence.

Anyone any ideas on methods of finding out who this person might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

go look at security

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

You should be able to pull the ip of the machine it was sent for - it's not much, but its a start.

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yea Conor, in hotmail under options, then adcanced options I think it is, under header information, select the one which displays the most information, not sure what it is. Then when you clicked into your e-mails from the hotmail inbox, it'll tell you the ip of the sender and from what mail server it came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Post the full headers of the email here and we will rip it to shreads for you. Also I think the hackwatch site had a link to a site that if you posted in the full headers it would chop it up and give you details.

Another thing you can try is a bit of social hacking, in other words offer to meet in IRC/ICQ and get someone to find out for you from the IP address that pops up or from what they tell you in IRC.

Your average user has no clues about IP addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I'll post the headers tomorrow, it's from a POP a/c not a hotmail a/c and the account isnt mine, I'm checking this out for a mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It's where dyslexic ImPs live.

Have to check out that Hackwatch thingy then. Sounds interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

What's an IP Address ??

Advertisement