Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Gui Examples

Options
  • 18-11-2001 4:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

alo

1) what I would like a few examples of java based desktop applications. what im doing is trying to design the gui for my VERY first prog and im all at sea.

2) second question. Is it better to build a desktop application as a standalone java prog or an applet in explorer ?

thanks....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Answer to question 1
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

Since you are new to Java it is very important that you are aware of this tutorial. It's straight from Sun, and is revised as soon as the language is updated. It's very comprehensive, and will have GUI examples for you to parse through.

Answer to question 2
    Applets or Applications?
    That is something that a lot of new Java programmers query. The answer is straight forward. If you want to create some software that is rich in GUI functionality, and connects to remote systems eg. databases or middleware or whatever, use an application. If you want to create some software that is pretty much self contained, and independant of any other service, use applets. But to be honest, and this is shared amongst a lot of Java programmers, applets are history. When programming with applets you are too constrained as to what you can and can't do. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I recommend you lookup the Java applet sandbox theory.

HTH

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Yup, phobos is right. Trying to develop a 'desktop application' in an applet would be a nightmare, not to mention that a lot of browsers don't actually support the swing classes. That support comes in the form of a browser add-on/plugin.

Rule of thumb : Don't write applets if you don't have to 8)

As for developing GUI's, the java tutorial phobos posted a link to is fantastic for starting off. As with everything else in java, once you get a good foothold of the basics of a certain topic, eg swing, jdbc, the API is there to tell you how to the more complicated stuff :)

Advertisement