Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valentia plans to cut 3,500 Eircom jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

sounds like common sense though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Now eircom will have absolutely NO excuses. No money? **** off - you're making an extra 154 million euros a year. It makes perfect sense though - why pay some old timer 33 grand a year to answer phones, when they could get a college student to do it for 6.50 an hour?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Now eircom will have absolutely NO excuses. No money? **** off - you're making an extra 154 million euros a year. It makes perfect sense though - why pay some old timer 33 grand a year to answer phones, when they could get a college student to do it for 6.50 an hour?

Sorry for knocking you down again in the space of five minutes Seamus, but I'm afraid it's not that simple. The layoff of Eircom staff by Valentia was never an option, but a necessity in order to make the company viable next year, particularly in light of the €2.5 billion loans they have to start paying off RSN.

I posted about this in another thread a couple of weeks ago, after an article in The Phoenix. (See the last two paragraphs in particular.) I'm hoping that Valencia will see the end game - that they have to morph the entire company to really take advantage of their infrastructure - but I'm not sure they have the sense to do it right. I'm hoping, but I'm not confident. Valencia's endgame would appear to be "get rid of the bloody thing again as fast as possible".

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 disConnected

Gee...

3500 jobs to go. I wonder if this will have any effect on the rates that consumers are paying at present, and on the service.

Service... Did I say service??? Well, that can't get much worse anyway, esp. for us who are trying to send data at a decent bandwidth over a line that is only guaranteed for a bandwidth up to 9600 baud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

As long as they get rid of those useless ignorant ex directory enquiries operators, you know the ones who say 'I am sorry caller you have come through to the wrong number' and then give you another even wronger number, something to do with digging ditches in Kilkenny instead of data services in Dublin then I will be happy if they sack 5000.

They have millions of those bags pretending to be customer services people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Guys,

whilst I have NO love of Eircom (and let that be stated publicly from the highest buildings in the land), lets not jump up and down in glee at the poor unfortunates that are gonne get the axe.

Yes, Eircom is grossly over-staffed and uncompetitive, but no matter how ignorant some of the staff are (particularly the ex TE staff), they are still people about to loose their jobs and its not their fault that Eircom mismanaged its HR.

Whilst I'll say its a move towards making the company more cost-effective, I'll not gloat about 3500 loosing their jobs no matter who they are or who they work for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Well said Lemming.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

That's 3,500 voluntary redundancies - they can't legally sack any of the ex-Telecom Eireann (or rather, ex-Dept. Post & Telegraphs) staff.

Advertisement