Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card problems

• 18-11-2001 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I recently put a Voodoo2 into an old computer system i had lying around.It is a P150 with 16mb of ram and a Ati Rage II graphics card .Obviosly i wanted the voodoo2 to take charge so i decided to take out the Ati card and just have the Voodoo in there but the monitor wouldn't come on .How would i get around this problem and set the voodoo as the primary display adapter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The voodoo2 is an addon card, for playing 3d-accelerated games only, using glide, direct3d, and opengl. It will take charge for these games, and leave your primary adapter to do everything else, presuming you have the cards connected up with the passthrough cable that comes with the voodoo, and the voodoo drivers are installed. It is not capable of rendering anything else. So it can only function as a secondary adapter, hence why it has the pass through cable. Just leave the ATI card in with it, and all will be well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I had it set up like that but i thought the voodoo wasn't doing anything because when i installed Half-Life and tried to run a game the only video options where 3 screen resolutions the highest wasnt even 640*480.
    Since i didnt get any opengl or direct x options i thought the voodoo wasnt working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

You'll have to go and find the OpenGL drivers for it. I thought they included them on the HL CD but's it's 3 years now and damned if I know what they are called.

Definitely I remember having to install some mini-GL thing that 3Dfx released to get accelerated gfx in HL. Is there no "driver" option or specs listed? I could have sworn it tells you what driver is being used in the Video menu.

Advertisement