Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Year Project!!!!!!!!

• 26-05-2000 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Doing degree in Applied Computing, just got my third year results and passed them all. Only now a new problem arises, have to come up with an idea for a final year project.............I havn't a clue frown.gif

The norm is some sort of database crap but I want to try something different, any suggestions. I would be most grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Build a better search engine.

Or a shop bot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

thats if you want to get in the papers smile.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Write a web game using a database to store player positions and stremgths etc.

Interesting while still being acceptible to your lecturers...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I agree with the web game, might even get a load of people here to stress test it.

Keep it simple though (eg. Sissy fighter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Well interestingly enough I was just talking to a guy that examines and marks the fourth year applied computing projects in WIT and he said he's sick of databse projects and never wants to see another one.. he reckons its old technology and doesn't want any more..
    what he was currently working on was a piece of hardware that carries out encryption and decryption....
    of course that was for his masters but he reckoned something in linux non-database related would be a nice change from databases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I agree with the DB stuff being old hat, it's important technology alright, and it's important that it works correctly. But while the interface may have changed, databases are still basically the same as they were ten years ago (ok, so I don't know whan relational databases became "the next big thing" (TM))

Speaking through my ass, if you want to go near data bases, have a look at xml (my co. has spent tens of millions developing their xml database, surely they're not all stupid).

Alo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DaKegMan

What about doing something using the WAP protocol.

Create an interactive app on the web where WAP users can access and interact with. Not an information based app - make it totally interactive and extremely useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Wan Andy ya mad bast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

DBs, com, mts etc. are pretty easy/old hat imho.
    http://www.tcd.ie/engineering/Computer_Science_SS_Projects/ is the list of this years final year projects for tcd cs/ceng/ict course some of those might of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Hows about this for an Idea.

Build a n-tier app running through MTS or your own server.

The idea of the app is that all past papers are in the db as a blob or maybe an xml document along with maybe answers sheets. So students can get their past papers from the computer lab. That way when you go to the libary the papers won't have been ripped out of the binder by some sad git.

You could add role based security on it as well.
    Also add some utils so the lecture can just pass in a say word document and it is automatticy formated and converted. this could also be used by students to load up lab reports essays etc. no more can the lecturer say he never got it.

Add some other things as you want. I think it would be pretty cool and it would also show you could use windows DNA.

Kayos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Hmmm so Db's com and mts are easy and old hmmm well if thats and cases how come most programming these days and done to the com spec. db's are old I'll give you that but their a never ending source of work. How else would a company keep records or all their clients there is a db behind nearly every e-commerce site around and more than likely they are written in ASP and either C++/Java/VB all of which are based around com. Ya I'll admit MTS can be a pain in the ass sometimes but it still does a good job. I was just looking at the link posted on those projects and alot of them still had to do with DB's and Com/Corba. this discussen could get nasty so I'll stop right now smile.gif

KaYoS

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by kayos:
    Hmmm so Db's com and mts are easy and old hmmm well if thats and cases how come most programming these days and done to the com spec.

Cos it's easy wink.gif
    db's are old I'll give you that but their a never ending source of work. How else would a company keep records or all their clients there is a db behind nearly every e-commerce site around and more than likely they are written in ASP and either C++/Java/VB all of which are based around com.[/QOUTE]

Yup, I work with ASP and database backed stuff, and they're useful technologies, but it's still not the stuff of final year projects (in my opinion). You could demo your ability to use those technologies in a business environment in a week or less. Doesn't necessarily show that your 4 years in college were well spent tho.

*exceptionally* well said x_or.

I agree, and generally I'm not a "me too" kinda person. Com, db, mts etc. are v. useful v. profitable technologies but your 4 years in college should have been about knowledge and edumacation not salary. Your final year project should be something new, something pushing stuff that bit, because as soon as you get into a job you won't have a chance to do that sort of thing and you'ill get bored of it pretty quickly.

I think it'd be a shame to waste a 4th year project on yet another db, com, n-tier business web applimacation thingy.

Push the boat a bit, do something you want to do. I remember some mates of mine doing a cool project together on a cross platform infitely scalable distributed games world. It was something which hadn't been done at the time, it was alot of work for them but they loved it. It was a nifty system, you want to expand the gameworld, add another server. They wrote a cross platform network library which dealt with timing issues etc. across the system. It was totally distributed, no central server and it handled servers appearing and dissappearing from the network seamlessly.

now *thats* a final year project, not some db, com, mts piece of fluff anyone can knock up in a few weeks.

As for the mate whos working on computer recognition of body language don't get me started....

m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Tis the actual idea..........there lies the problem. How much effort it would take wouldn't matter as long as I had an idea of something that was worthwhile doing. Some good ideas posted........

I dunno frown.gif
    I'll keep thinking about it. I think I might be trying too hard to come up with something different but sure I have till September.

If anyone comes up with anymore ideas please let me know.

Cheers

decent wap pr0n as opposed to the laughably pathetic http://wap.cybersex.nl/ ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Write yourself a simple 3D Network game.
    It actually isn't that difficult. There are lots of open source OpenGL games on http://www.opengl.org that you can rip off (look for one called Light Cycles). There are links to physics/network programming on the Void links page. Low level network programming is pretty simple. I robbed network code from the original Diku mud engine to use in Void. There's another idea.....write a mud. http://hosted.quake.ie/void

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

A mud??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

How about an Apache add-on module to do something cool? Anyone got any ideas for what it could do?

That'd look deadly on a cv in any case.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dollar

MUD

Multi User Domain

At least thats what I think it is. It's RPG over a network.

[This message has been edited by dollar (edited 09-06-2000).]

Advertisement