Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viability of Cable internet, in Ireland.

Options
  • 18-11-2001 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

I was talking to an ntl sales person that confirmed the re launch of cable internet in Dublin 24, it seems they are making a real push to sell it this time around, at a mere 27 pounds (which probably includes modem rental). The thing is that it probably will have to come through your digibox (maybe you don’t need a modem then?) This, to me, makes perfect sense and could make cable internet extremely profitable,

Take me for example, I’ve ntl multilink service, basis tv and weekend internet, that’s 18 pounds, factor in digital tv (you must have basis and digital) another 10 and then cable internet at 27, is 55 pounds, that’s around what every ntl cable internet user will pay, even more if you decide to get a second line and 24/7 internet (maybe for the wife) off them as well. That’s a hell of a lot more then they make a month on average off an English or American cable internet subscriber

So what I’m asking is, would you get their service, if it went you had to say buy to sky digital and eircom, and go with them instead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by «Bo§ton» So what I’m asking is, would you get their service, if it went you had to say buy to sky digital and eircom, and go with them instead.
    I believe that NTL want to maximise their return on existing areas. Their experience in the UK has shown that a reduction in charges leads to a greatly increased takeup. Whether they intend to rollout to other areas remains to be seen. A certain 'Revolver', who apparently works for NTL, posting recently suggests that this is unlikely.

Nevertheless, with BBC 1&2, CH4 and soon ITV available on Sky digital, NTL do stand to lose customers. Certainly, NTL customers who are also Sky subscribers will be very tempted to drop NTL once these channels are available. Having to switch to terrestrial to pick up RTE and TV3 would still be an inconvenience, though. Inertia might keep other existing NTL customers on the basic channels.

I believe that one-way cable is obsolete. It is now much cheaper to deliver one-way multi-channel services by digital terrestrial and satelite. If the Government wants to encourage innovation in the cable business here, they should allow the relaying of UK channels in addition to/instead of to giving RTE multiple slots. That way, NTL (and other companies) would need to provide bi-directional and communications services unless they want to go into the scrap copper business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Sorry, to answer your question: I would take up NTL's cable internet service + two phone lines in a minute even at their current price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i'd take it up in a minute at trebble that price, that's the sad thing, where else can we get a decent cable service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I already have it, na-na-na-na-na :)

Seriously though, Im paying 50 quid a month for it and its worth every single penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Red Moose

$60/£55/?65 is an OK price to start with, because it should come down (and the price point will push Eircom to reduce their proposed financial extortion for ADSL).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

50 quid a month was the original price at the first launch. So far theres been about 5 different prices reported here for the relaunch. Really tho, no matter what they charge it will probably be better value than Eircons DSL.

Unfortunatly the sticking point is that ntl still dont have citywide coverage. After too many false promises, i wont believe them or consider them untill i see an ntl van digging up the road in my area.

In answer to the question then, yes, i think wed all consider it. Personally tho, i dont see it happening for the vast majority of people in Dublin for at least a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

It s all nice to se a selection of areas in ublin getting their cable but does anyone know of progress outside Dublin from the likes of Chorus and people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Originally posted by fcddunne
    It s all nice to se a selection of areas in ublin getting their cable but does anyone know of progress outside Dublin from the likes of Chorus and people like that.

Just got an email from Chorus about Cork PowerNet access:
    "Powernet will not be released to Cork until the first quarter of
    next year (2002). It will not be released to Cork before. Kind regards, Chorus."
    Just in case you didn't get what they said in the first sentence ...
    And in August they had this to say
    "At the moment we have no release date for the Cork area but we are hoping for sometime between now and Christmas. regards Chorus".

Just so <grin>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

well since my last post i have teen to a house on south limerick city which has that power net 40 notes a month and 150 notes instalation

the transmitter is on keeper hill ive been told and thats all i know about it but its looking good

Advertisement