Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inverted or not Inverted, that is the question..

Options
  • 19-11-2001 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

My brother just had a go at me because in every game I play using the mouse set up Inverted?

And I refuse to say I'm in the wrong! Inverted is the way to play game, right back to my Amstrad 8086 days.

Of course I use the mouse normally in Windows, and strategy games, but for everything else, be it a FPS game or whatever the mouse has to be inverted.

Personally I think ppl who don't use an inverted mouse to be just as bad as those damn lefties - you know the ones, ppl who's brain is backwards and makes them use their left hand like their right hand! Freaks -

And on that note u can tell who's a leftie or not - they have that certain thing about them. For example I'd bet anything hobbes is a leftie.

Well, this was ment to be a poll, but it looks like it still isn't working in good auld IE, so post if your normal or not here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Inverted mouse rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Weirdos.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

People who use inverted mouse have upsidedown brains, its the only explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I agree with rich, he has it right, you're almost as bad as the lefties, ye also have something about yis, I could tell bubbles was an invertee just by looking at his ärse:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It's not all that difficult to get used to either way, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I like inverted mouse for FPS games... it's all psychological or something... whether you think you're aiming by moving the barrel of the gun, or the stock/torso.
    It takes a while to re-adjust to the other setting, when you've gotten used to using only one... and in most cases there's no need to bother re-adjusting, just change the setting.

Bubbles, you should just have seperate configs if it bothers you/him that much... things like Q3, halflife you can just 'exec bubbles.cfg'....
    Or for other games that don't have a decent console:
    Make a startmenu shortcut to a batch file that copies <config_bubbles.cfg> to <real_config.cfg> then starts the game... then have a second similar shortcut to use your brothers config.
    Same thing can be done if the settings are in the registry, export tree... stick it in the start menu, blah blah.

Which ever way feels right for you, is the right way :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Okay since this has turned into a serious discussion (God damn you santa), I would just like to say that inverted or not, doesn't matter a damn, just once it's okay for you. Sure I have a go at invertees now and again but not because they are invertees, just because, when I try to play that way its absolutely impossible, so perhaps its jealousy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Erum... Quake is not a flight simulator. Inverted mouse is sick and wrong.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Inverted is perfectly logical. If you want to look up at something you tilt your head back, that's why moving the mouse down i.e. back relative to where you're sitting, is logical.

Anyone who pushes a mouse up to look up in an fps is a freak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Excatly my point Castor Troy!!

And those ppl who are saying ppl who use an Inverted mouse have upsidedown brains - rubbish! If games etc are ment to be played that way, it means our brains are right, and its indeed your brain thats ****ed up.

And in relation to daddy o satan or whatever his name is (crap leftie name anyway) there will not be a config to suit lefties of non inverties on my machine. It's mine, and will be set up for normal people. Freaks will just have to adapt to normal practices if they which to use my machine...

And on a final note, I have yet to talk to a lefty who is also a non Invertie.... I suspect Bin Laden, OJ Simpson, and the entire family that stared in the film The Texas chainsaw massacre are leftie non Inverties.

Animals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Gerry has just admitted that he is a leftie non Invertie (LNI for short)

I also knows where he lives! I suggest we all go over to this place later and burn his house down!! That will teach him to be born backwards and upside down!

Seriously tho, that left hand business really pisses me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Inverted mouse is one thing, but left handed gamers just freak me out completely. :eek:

Invert only works for me on an analogue joystick in Mechwarrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

infacteh nice one.

[10:48] <gerry> I'm a leftie
    [10:48] <gerry> and I use inverted mouse

Anyone that says inverted play for an FPS game is natural is obviously a moron.

If we examine the function of the mouse in FPS games it is used to allow us to move and look around in a two dimensional plane. We have an XY axis which would be looking from the sky to the ground and a Z axis which is looking from left to right.

Now if we map these axis to the keyboard we can place the X point at the furthermost point from our body at the top of the mousemat. We can place the Y axis at the point closest to our bodies and we can bisect the mouse horizontally with the Z axis.

If we use the rationale then logically moving the mouse upwards towards point X will of course correspond to our characters head looking upwards towards the sky or ceiling and naturally moving the mouse towards the Y point will result in our character moving his head downwards to look at the ground.

My point is this "Using an inverted mouse setup in an FPS game is for warped miscreants."

mouse.gif

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Kix
    Erum... Quake is not a flight simulator.
    It's not far from it. To highlight this, turn off clipping, and go "flying" through the level. So why shouldn't the controls be similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Pope John Paul II made an announcement that has the Roman Catholic gamers of the world up in arms today: it is now a sin to use the "inverted mouse" in First and Third Person shooters.

"It was never God's intent for the mouse to be used in such a profane manner" the papal statement reads. "It was always intended that up was up and down was down, never reversed in some profane abomination," His Holieness continues.

The majority of the Catholic gaming community was unaffected by this announcement, as inverted mouse users have always been in the minority. "I never did trust those inverties." Commented Father Don McLeod. "I always suspected it such a tendency had roots in Lucifer. That or communism. We as Catholics must always remember these few things: Women have no choice when it comes to their own bodies, sex is NOT enjoyable, homosexuals are all going to hell, and the inverted mouse is an unnatural abomination in the eyes of our Lord God."

The announcement has lead to a small group of "closet" inverted mouse players. Community leaders have started weekly prayer meetings for those reluctant to see the error of their ways. These meetings attempt to invoke the will of God through prayer, in an attempt to "pray the invertedness out of the poor tortured soul." The resistance is fairly strong, though. "Look, I'm sorry, it just doesn't feel right to me. As long as I've been a gamer, I've always felt this way. Your prayers wont change that." Stated one beleaguered Catholic gamer.

Other gamers are just giving up entirely, so difficult is the transition to "normalcy."

"Well, if I can't play my video games, I'll just go to my room and masturbate. Oh… wait… darn it!"

http://www.themushroom.com/humor/vatican.html

hehe :)

adnans (non-inverter, live the dream)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Inverted.

Possibly from playing so much ATF Gold in my youth.

Well, Herr logic1, if that is your real name. if in real life, one wanted to look towards point X in your flashy diagram, one would have to move one's head back towards point Y to do this.

Therefore inverted is the correct setup, and you are wrong.

I beg to differ but it was a nice Troy.

Let me ask all you inverti-braes one question. Do you move the mouse towards the top of your screen to scroll down in any application?

Sorry what was that? Speak up? A resounding NO!!

So why the hell do it in a game.

Freaks.

.logic.

Originally posted by Castor Troy
    if in real life, one wanted to look towards point X

Maybe you missed the letters "G", "A", "M", and "E" in the word "GAME".

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Hmmm logic, when I scroll the mouse down, all the text on my screen goes up, thus making me feel comfortable as a proud inverty mouse man.

You people who think 'up' is 'up' make me sick......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by logic1

Let me ask all you inverti-braes one question. Do you move the mouse towards the top of your screen to scroll down in any application?

Sorry what was that? Speak up? A resounding NO!!

So why the hell do it in a game.

Freaks.

.logic.

Just have to attribute that one to the fairly infrequent need to look at your feet or into the sky in IE or Word I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I R SUPREME BLASPHEMER!!!

Invert all the way baybeh!

Invert Cross...
    Invert Pentegram...
    Invert MOUSE!!!

Ankhs stay the right way around though... :p

Originally posted by Snaga
    Hmmm logic, when I scroll the mouse down, all the text on my screen goes up, thus making me feel comfortable as a proud inverty mouse man.

You people who think 'up' is 'up' make me sick......

Yes and when you play as a non-invertie and you "scroll" your mouse down all the scenery goes up, which is just as it should be.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Are you a righty or a leftie? Are you a member of that sick bunch of inverted losers? ONLY YOU DECIDE!

VOTE STARTS NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DAMN perinverts. Completely un-natural.

In Quake, I used to hold my own with the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I used to hold my own with the keyboard

I hired someone to hold mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Originally posted by amp

I hired someone to hold mine.

I hope we're still talking about keyboards...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Inversion is the key!!!:D

Advertisement