Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know a good modem for Linux?

• 08-06-2000 5:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Installed Corel Linux on a machine here, and couldn't get the modem to work.

Tried pnpdump and messing with the CMOS but no luck. I finally check the Linux Mailing list and it turns out that the modem won't work cause it's a winmodem. mad.gif

So it's going in the bin. I was just wondering if anyone can recommend what's a good 56K modem for Corel Linux? or in general. frown.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

An external Diamond SupraExpress 56K or similiar is nice. Keep away
    from the Winmodems like USRobotics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

if you can still get one, a pace, they rock at quake, and work perfectly in linux (pity the company went bust frown.gif
    quozl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

frown.gif The only two local shops sell winmodems. *sigh* Time for a field trip tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

By the by...
    How exactly do you tell if you're using a winmodem?
    I noticed my current modem (PCI) is missing a lot of of the chunky microchips and was a lot more slim-lined than my old ISA modem.
    Also the fact that Linux is snubbing it.
    Strange thing tho is that it works fine in BeOS, (Which last i heard wasn't an M$ OS)
    I get great pings with it, so I'm not sure at all wether it's a winmodem or not.

Is there any other way to tell besides asking the manufacturer (who'll probably lie anyway)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dollar

Well actually winmodem is a bit mis-leading. A winmodem is a modem that has a striped down chipset, hence is alot cheaper. To make up for this window's and aparently BeOS use driver's along with your CPU cycles to do the work of the missing chips. Thats all fine if you have the driver's but if you don't (and linux doen't) then the modem is useless.

Check out www.linmodem.org for work on building driver's for winmodems under linux.

I don't know if there is any way to check if a modem is a winmodem only to try it out in linux and see.

The best bet for those of you wanting to buy a modem for linux is to but an external serial modem. I have never heard of any not working with linux. The make and model is up to you. I still use a 4 year old 28.8 modem in linux. ISA modem's are more that likely hardware modem's.

On another point Scan scan.co.uk say they only sell hardware modem's. This is a lie. Scan are a great crowd but never trust them.

[This message has been edited by dollar (edited 09-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by dollar (edited 09-06-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Gah, that link doesn't work - DNS name lookup failure...

Advertisement