Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start Cringing.......Now:(

Options
  • 19-11-2001 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

This is a very good article about NYCWireless, an organisation set up to provide wireless access throughout Manhattan...FOR FREE!

http://www.sunday-times.co.uk/article/0,,9015-2001394274,00.html

I know we've talked about this briefly before, but this article puts a bit of context on the idea. There are problems for wireless networks, but for use for soley internet it seems to be quite successful.

Enjoy:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I believe this can happen in Ireland too. The technology is there and its cheap. We just need to convince those with spare bandwidth to share it with us.

The CorkWan is all ready to go and all thats needed now is bandwidth. We will try and convince companies and anyone that gets adsl (you know its going to happen someday) to care and share with their community. We are also looking into paying for our own bandwidth. If we split the cost between all users it should work out well enough.

Theres about 75 members of the CorkWan at the moment which is a fine number if they all become early adopters. The idea is to break the Wan into cells of up to 30 people. Each cell will have an omnidirectional antenna which all other cell members will point to. This will also have a directional which will point to a main router with net access or else another cell which links to the main router.

Once a cell has 5 or more people in it I believe that they can get others in the area to join up if they see it in action. If the momentum continues the group will be big enough to hopefully negotiate cheaper bandwidth prices for all the members.

Damien.
    (just a tad bit biased about the success of this idea )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I share your belief in it happenning but as has been the case up to know, there has been noone prepared to grasp the nettle in the Comms World to take the (ltd) risk on such a project.

This kind of initative needs to be negotiated out rather than the all bitchin that seems to have to preceed the introduction of a new product or service in Ireland.

I think Danny O'Brien was trying to say "C'mon lads, we know it works, lets just get rid of the hangups and get something like this started (obvioulsy in the British Context). Enjoyed the article though:)

Advertisement