Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD Burner problems

• 19-11-2001 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

My burner was working fine until last week, but now when i'm copying CDs they're coming out with hisses and jumping all over the place. Any ideas why this is happening and how i can sort it out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Did you install anything since, or change any settings, you're not giving us too much to go on.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Yeah have you changed blank cds, or burning software?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bettyboo

still using the same software. Have tried a number of different CDs and problem keeps happening. I did use audio catalyst to rip some audio cds into mp3s before burning and i'm wondering whether this could have changed the configuration.

Other than that, i'm at a loss. Can't really add much, because i've been doing the same thing I always do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you trying to burn new CDs. Many now come with built-in copy protection that causes hissing and poor quality on the copy. I had trouble there with the same thing - I was using CDs that had been sitting (in a box, mind) on the desk for months and many were physically damaged by sunlight and general wear. I've noticed cheap blanks can't take even the slightest knock wihtout dying completely on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Reduce the record Speed.

Are you trying to burn at 16x onto 12x discs?

Could be that some settings in audio catalyst got b0rked.

Afaik CDs do it at 41200Hz, 16-bit Stereo wav.
    Need to have the MP3s at the same rate I think.

I've only doen something like this once before, with semi-good results.

Just made wavs out of the MP3s using MP3CD Maker thingummy.
    Burnt them using Write-On-CD (using Nero now) and they played. One or two tracks had slight skipping, but that could be either the disc has been scratched or I was burning slightly too fast.

I'd reccomend getting a MP3-CD playing Discman thing. Fit about 10 hours of 128Kbit mp3s onto a 650meg disc I think. Possibly another 30/45/60 mins on a 700Meg. Even more if you reduce the bit rate to 112 or 96kbps.
    A portable DiVX playa, now there's a thought :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement