Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Cable announcement

Options
  • 19-11-2001 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/internet_cable.html

most relavent:
    what does it cost?

Always-On 512 €35.00 / £27.56
    Always-On 128 €25.00 / £19.69

If you combine ntl's Go Digital pack at €12.70 / £10 a month with one of these services the monthly charge is as follows:

Always-On 512 €30 / £23.63 + Go Digital pack
    Always-On 128 €20 / £15.75 + Go Digital pack

Always-On 512 This service is up to 9 times faster than a standard 56K modem, so you can download files and web pages in seconds, not minutes. Enjoy high quality video streaming and online gaming without tedious delays.

Always-On 128 Try this service if you want instant access to broadband content at up to twice the speed of a standard 56k modem. The speed is comparable with ISDN but with even cheaper monthly rates and no call charges.

ntl recommended cable modem Terayon Tj210 €165.32 /£130.20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

<micro bet me to it> ;)

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

and i'm going to get 512 too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

When Cablenet in North Dublin announced that they would be releasing cable in Dublin in 1998, I thought it was too good to be true. I was right. Likewise for Cablelink, Eircom, GenesisEurope, Chorus, Esat Fusion, all too good to be true. Dont get your hopes up lads and lasses just yet.

I was thinking today ( like we all do alot of the time ). Do you think that the stalling of the rollout of a decent internet service in Ireland has been done intentionally by the co - operated efforts of the biggest telcos in Ireland, so that when they see that the time is right, (ie: When users become so desperate for Broadband they will pay three times the asking price in the UK ). Do you think this might be an elaborate plan to get loads more profit??

Think about that one.

Matt

< Public announcement: Dont throw milk bottles at old women >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by MiCr0
    and i'm going to get 512 too :D
    Let us know how you get on, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 JamworkS

What happened with the Motorola SurfWave 3100 Cable-Modem series, they used to recommend?

they used to sell them for IR£260 but you could get them, from Motorola's website, with post charges included for IR£230.

they were even better, that they had support for DOCSIS 1.1, a new specification in cable-modem systems, which improved the overall service.

JamworkS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I just talked to a nice austrailian girl at NTL.

The cable modem service is only available in the Dublin 24 area and they have no plans to expand at the moment :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

so let me get this straight... ntl still are not expanding out of tallaght..... so whats so great about this new offer ???

'Revolver' (who appears to work for NTL) made it clear that NTL were not in the business of upgrading cable to two-way. This was after his initial "This will blow you away" posting.

well fvck that ... ive had enough of this $hit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

+ i live in templeogue
    we have it too - as does terenure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Originally posted by MiCr0
    + i live in templeogue

i live in templeogue aswell, i have the 56k, 24hr service, which is ok, but is cable going to be available in all upgraded areas or just d24??? does anyone know???

EDIT: i have just rang up, and found out that it will be available in all the upgraded areas ie. tallaght, terenure, templeogue, (not sure what other areas)

I just phoned them up too. As has been mentioned, there are no plans to upgrade areas not alread upgraded. Great news for those in the two-way areas, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Let me be clear about this...

According to NTL, their digital rollout is progressing nicely, and some people in other parts of Dublin will soon have their areas upgraded to support Digital TV.

Am I to assume that this upgrade is only "half the job" and they (NTL) will have to go back at a later stage to enable cable modem access to the net? It seems like a bit of a botched job, if that is the case...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

So the areas that could get broadband can now get broadband... nothing really new there :rolleyes:

Oh well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Regi
    So the areas that could get broadband can now get broadband... nothing really new there :rolleyes:

Oh well...

My understanding of the situation is that whereas before you could only get cable interweb in Tallaght, NTL are now actually marketing the service to all upgraded areas - as in some places other than Tallaght.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

+ i live in templeogue

Terenure dont have it. You have to live on the templeogue road! I'm like 20 yards away from it, you dont know how annoying it is!

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    Am I to assume that this upgrade is only "half the job" and they (NTL) will have to go back at a later stage to enable cable modem access to the net? It seems like a bit of a botched job, if that is the case...
    Except that I don't think they have plans to "go back at a later stage". The currently upgraded areas seem to be Tallaght, parts of Templeogue and Terenure. I live on Templeogue and am upgraded only for digital TV.

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Terenure dont have it. You have to live on the templeogue road! I'm like 20 yards away from it, you dont know how annoying it is!
    I believe part of Templeogue road was upgraded as well as Fortfield road and some other areas. The part of Templeogue road I live in was in the middle of upgrading when NTL announced a halt to any further work. For six months there were two cables running along the houses. Around June this year, vans came around and connected up the new cable and removed the old. The guys doing the work said it was for full two-way services, but in fact it they were just upgrading for digitial TV. The old cable was not capable of supporting DTV signals to fullfill their licence requiremnets.

Full two-way services require fibre to the kerb. NTL are nolonger doing this work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

well its extremely cheap, even cheaper then others, allso i cant see the sense in going o all this trouble of adverstising and doing up a new service if they didnt plan to widen the service,

SkepticOne, maybe you right and ntl arnt doing that work anymore, maybe they are getting the likes of broadband international to do it? or maybe they are using other networks? or maybe they have allot more done they they let on to have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 popn'fresh

I'm living in Portmarnock area (beside Malahide) and NTL have ripped up nearly every road here to lay fibre. On the main road too they even ripped up the path completely to lay fibre. That was motnths ago now and i'm just wondering does anyone know if they have plans to upgrade here to a two way network at all???

• Advertisement

Originally posted by «Bo§ton»
    well its extremely cheap, even cheaper then others, allso i cant see the sense in going o all this trouble of adverstising and doing up a new service if they didnt plan to widen the service,
    They are staying low-key with this price reduction. No press release and nothing in ENN (which normally prints anything ;)). I belive the 'Revolver' thread was someone testing the water to see how it would be received by others.
    SkepticOne, maybe you right and ntl arnt doing that work anymore, maybe they are getting the likes of broadband international to do it? or maybe they are using other networks? or maybe they have allot more done they they let on to have
    It is possible that they are upgrading certain areas such as central Dublin for business customers. Also, it is possible that they are installing two-way systems into new housing developements around Dublin. The official line, though remains that they may upgrade areas where they feel there is sufficient demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I just got a call today from NTL trelling me they are hooking me up to digital on Wednesday (Dublin 1) - the lass didn't know anything about cable access being made available here, but did suggest I chat to the engineer - silly lady - as if I'd pass the opportunity up! ;)

I'll fill you lads in, later.

if nothing else, this will put presure on eircom, not just in those areas but others, question will be asked how one isp can provide a broadband service at a serverly reduced price to eircom, in the same area and expect to make a profit.

the next week should prove interesting, as we will probably see eircoms and the odtr's reaction to this. reading that page, they seem to make the fact they are the only ones selling broadband in ireland a major selling point.
    i cant believe those prices, this proves we can have the same and even better then england. it allso proves that eircom are a load of bull****ers

SkepticOne, please explain what is ment by fibre to the curb, as id be interested in hering about it

Originally posted by «Bo§ton» SkepticOne, please explain what is ment by fibre to the curb, as id be interested in hering about it
    It would be worth looking on the web for information on this. I have a basic understanding but I'm not an expert. Here's what I think I know: With the current system, all the nodes (where the trunk cable system meets the strand that goes along the houses) gets the same signal (i.e. the channels). Therefore you just need to split and amplify the signal at each node in the network. Therefore ordinary coax (but of a higher quality) is used. With interactive two-way services, each node gets a different signal therefore networking is required and the information load is much higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Hey coool! its in Dublin!!!! Now all us country guys have to do is wait 5 hmmmm maby 10 years until ye are finished playing with it and move on to something totally better and maby another 2 years after that we might get it :rolleyes: hehehehe

At least its a start guys and hopefully things can only get better :)

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Most of Dublin 24 is on high ground.....perfect for amature wireless access to second users elsewhere in the city...the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well, all I can say is you damn-lucky people in those areas damn-well better take up the offer so that NTL know there is demand and it is worth their while rolling it out elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I`ll call them in the morning and let you all know how I get on.

Originally posted by PiE
    Well, all I can say is you damn-lucky people in those areas damn-well better take up the offer so that NTL know there is demand and it is worth their while rolling it out elsewhere.

ditto

• Advertisement

if this is a success and ntl go on to releash it in other areas of dublin, it will be a huge help to the ioffl campaign, it will decredit alot of what eircom has being saying
    no demand,
    cant make money,
    to expensive
    cant be as cheap as england

Advertisement