Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modding

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Quake 1 is open source, so are the others.
    But they are very different to HL code so I wouldnt really bother.
    The best thing is to dl the HL SDK and some Mods with open code, or else just some snippet of code and cut them to bits. See how they work and where they fit together.

It takes a while but I think we have it, personally though, I'd like to get some kind of access to some Torc code, to find out exactly what we are going to be modding. It might be nice to realise both Game and Mod together, but I dont know if they'll agree to having a rather big security risk before realising their game. Its their call. Even still, if only to get access to some of their snippets or their Tech Demo.

The general time period I suppose would be around 1900, or perhaps something more modern. The civil war aspect is much later, about the idea of spicing it up with some fictional aspects, this might sound good in theory however I personally feel that the most important aspect of Half-Life, Counterstrike, DoD, TFC is their realism. This may not be as evident at first, but examine each of those games and you'll see what I mean.

If it were to be a single player mod then I'd love to do the whole thing spread out over a long time period, however we're making a multiplayer game, and those games that attempt to do a great multiplayer and singleplayer usually end up doing mediocre in both.

Pitch fork as the primary weapon, then where the heck do you keep your gun? I mean ffs, a SAS troop, carrying a knife, handgun, machine gun, grenades and spare ammo, would be pretty tricky. But a guy with a machine gun, hand gun, maybe a grenade or two, and a Pitchfork....well, re:That Realism bit back there.

I'm reasonably well up on this issue, but alot of people are in college and have access to huge libraries, and of course the internet is another huge source. Added to this the poor saps doing the L.C who have to actually study the horrible stuff...all I can say is...Nah, nah, nah, nah, nah!!

Btw, I'm going to write up a begining list, not of skills just a list of people who wish to contribute: If your name is here and you dont want it to be and vice versa, mail/Pm someone about it.

Dbc
    Logik135
    ][ceman
    Lyconix
    -=Raven=-
    Drake
    Zaphod
    Kyro
    Da bounca?
    Danny
    Robbo's L33t Fr3inds
    Jazz
    Syxpak?
    Thrax

? - Denotes an unsure.
    This is not alphabetically although it COULD be sorted based on importance/superiority. [No Comment]

How's bout we all mail/pm/txt Ronan|Raven (ooh, the spam)
    so he can get a Mailing list sorted out?
    This is a question NOT a statement, do not start spam mailing the poor guy already. Wait till he decides what to do (and possibly sets up a dedicated email for it)

Seeming as no one else seems to have voted for the Ireland Vs. England side (For ph33r of being labelled a hate-mongering-racist) I guess we're going with Civil War (yet to be confirmed).

Christmas is upon and so are the holidays, a Good and a Bad thing in one package. Holidays but no/lack of net access now for me and others so :(

The important people have my phone number so txt me or something, to keep me up to date, please?

I think thats everything, other than to say Happy Christmas and Happy new Year and...Bah, Humbug!!...

:cool:

Ivan .has left the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Anyway sorry for lack of updates/decisions lately but im very very very very busy in colelge atm with exams and projects :(

More than likely were going for the Civil War Idea :)

If anyone who is interested and willing to work on this then mail me at raven996@yahoo.com please dont abuse it as im sure some of ye will!! and if ye do I will find ye :P

Just state your skill(s), how good you are and current situation i.e. working,college, professional layabout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

So no chance of an antient times MOD like Lord of the rings with CT/T as Fellowship v Orcs etc.

Only they don't all have weapon chioce - more where each character gets like 1 weapon per price range ie. 4 or so weapons and you pick the character depending on the weapons you like. Also means that people can't pick up weapons that aren't designed for them....just an idea.

You could put it in areas such as ye olden style castles eg. UT/QUAKE or in open forests etc.

I think it would be a great idea personaly - you'd get a LOT of BOOK fanatics looking to get a copy. We can charge for the game initialy to pay for our new base of operations and design ][cEMAN Inc. *ahem* I mean ...whatever we want to call ourselves hehehehe.

Would mean that we could actually work to do something we WANT to do rather than our own jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

how about vehicles and flyin machines that u can fly and drive? Or a war game where u can drive the tanks and vehicles and play as different classes? You could expand the cs vehicle code for that.

If you decide to change the theme entirely how about a team based game where you play one of a number of different gangs in a futuristing city a la The Fifth Element or Blade Runner. Flying cars could be used and more than 2 teams at a time could fight for territory. The team that captures the most territory before a certain time limit wins. there could be other variations of gameplay also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Personally i think the civil war idea is much better there is alot of room for plot also the sides shall be able to be equal in armanent since they are all the same nationality we wont have the R4c1s/v\ problems plus as a sap who did history for lc coughA1cough i know there is alot of room to expand the idea there was a good few battles/pub brawls that took place eh just my thoughts btw i`ll map and ur what else cirocis the wonder dog ends up getting me to do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Lads you can count me in for testing, but as for programming, lol i have trouble with java.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I used to do some simple Q2 modding before, well I was interested anyways.
    Would be on for lending any coding assistance I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Just reading about the mod. Sounds great and I hope it gets off the ground. I have done some basic mapping but my programming is confined to VB.
    I can do textures...well i can use Corel TEXTURE BATCHER 9 if that is any use!! I'll check it out and see can I use it for games ..almost sure you can!
    I wouldnt mind the chance to playtest cos i'll know what to do if it f**ks up my pc.. lol (2 years Tech. Support!)

On a slightly different subject I was going to do a course in 3D Studio Max in The Temple Bar Arts Center. Does anyone know about this course and is it any use?? Its about £300 for 8 weeks, 1 or 2 nights a week. If anyone knows anything about this could you post here or mail me cos I dont want to waste my time.

Cheers :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

There's always room for a helping hand, whatever your skills are, although it really is up to Ronan|Raven and his "Right Hand Men" If he's got any :D

Our good capitane shall be away this week (Ronan = Going to Roscommon) so until his return, this project may not be discussed for sometime...

Make sure you keep posting though guys - we haven't made an official start yet, but when we do we'll need a definate list of who'll be contributing towards the making of this project.

Also, check the new announcement - Pretty corny, huh!? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    "Right Hand Men"

That sounds ominous.

What do these "Right Hand Men" actually do? and do they have to right handed?

-Teh drake

[EDIT] OMG 4 PAGES?! AND NOTHINGS STARTED YET?

:D
    /|\
    / \

[/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Logik135

Ideas are being tossed around. Four pages are not wasted on ideas. Better to get them all out in the open now than be half way through the project and say "Hey! Let's do this! Wouldn't that be great??". Of course it is awfully large. I suggest that the next person who feels like contributing to this thread should start a new topic entitled "Mod Thread Continuation".

:p

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

No, let's not...

Until we get some foundations to base our idea's upon, I'd rather we didn't have too many threads with the exact same topic as this one...

Until we have a definate plan, and start to work on this project, I strongly suggest all your contributions stay within this thread until all are considered...

Im not asking you, Im telling you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Weh, I just read this post today so excuse my late reply. I can make a few maps for ye if needed. I only have experience with HL maps using Worldcraft, but I'd be willing to learn how to use other programs for other games :)

Advertisement