Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTkern

• 08-06-2000 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

All,

when trying to boot a PC running Win95, I get the following error; "while initializing device NTkern a protection error occured please restart computer".
    Has anyone gor any idea what could cause this? I've noticed that if I bypass autoexec.bat it does not happen...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You install any NT software recently?

Go into the autoexec and have a look at whats referenced. Also go into your win.ini and system.ini and look for NTkern. If you find a line with it in it, put a ; at the start of the line, save it and reboot.

see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Man you're fast!
    I'm not anywhere near the machine at the moment, but I'll give it a try tomorrow and let ye know how I get on.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I, on the other hand, am not.
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q192/3/97.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0

The above would suggest defective ram.
    But if bypassing autoexec.bat fixes it, try renaming it. You don't need it anyway.

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Cool amp. biggrin.gif

Actually I had the other errors before and I thought it was because of memory problems but after testing the memory there was no problems with it.

The problem was in fact windows. It seems Win95 (98 too?) doesn't like memory over a certain size. In my case my machine has 384MB.

Installed Linux, and it's still running. biggrin.gif

I don't think NT has the problem, not sure about W2K. I would assume it wouldn't either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

This happens in 95 if the installation of the USB supplement goes awry. (Or you do a corrective reinstall without removing the supplement from add/remove progs first)
    If you cant even get in in safe mode to remove it neatly try the following:

Have a look in C:\Windows\System (Maybe vmm32 aswell, cant remember) for any files with the extension .o20, delete any files with the same name but extention VXD and rename your o20 files to VXD
    eg. You find VMM32.o20, then delete VMM32.VXD and rename VMM32.o20 to vmm32.VXD).

If this gets you in then reinstall the Supplement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement