Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

get your prioities straight!

• 05-06-2000 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Why the hell can't you change the priority devices are given! Every time there's a load on the processor my mouse stops working. If I could give it and the keyboard the highest priority, users are so slow and there would be so little processor work, it would probably appear they have the same priority.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

thats a damn good idea... then every time you'd move your mouse the hard drive would stop working!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You've got a probably with either your mouse driver or graphics card drivers. If not then you're Pc is basically too slow to use a mouse, just like the Class Intel 8088 based Pc(working!) I blagged today.

WUSSAT???? 8088???? THAT'S FAR TOO FAST!!!

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

the hd wouldn't stop working cos the P2 prolly has i/o to mem architecture. User input is relativly small in terms of processor time so giving the mouse high priority wouldn't make much difference.

My puter is old but it's not 8088 old! That thing should be in a tar pit somewhere. A 233 with 160MB of ram should handle a mouse okay.

I'm guessing it's bad code in the new OS I installed. It's going out the winda soon I tell ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Your mouse takes very little CPU time. I don't think its a case of it being singled out for the slowdown - it's just the most obvious sign that your system is kakking up.

Do you get a lot of HDD/CD activity when this is happening? A lot of the times this can be caused by bad DMA settings (ie. an old drive that doesnt really support it , windows mis-identifies and turns it on, or vice versa).
    The mouse is most likely not your culprit, just a symptom....Best off finding and elimination the bottleneck before you go trying to rearrange around it.

Advertisement