Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anything good come out of the 80's

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 izzy

ah yes the 80s i dont remember much and what i do remember is mostly tv ah thems were good shows the A-Team mcgyver......... er and many more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Joy Division Singer Ian Curtis died in 1980 after which the remains of Joy Division became New Oder so yes the 80s did bring us New Order , dumby mc dumb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

The whole Goth thing came about. Which was cool. Still is...

Fields Of The Nephelim were a class band.

The Lost Boys was a class film!

Oh, the memories... :)

And of course... THE TRANSFORMERS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

Music wise.......depeche mode, the pixies, guns & roses, duran duran, metallica.... done all their best albums during the 80's i think, joe satriani, U2, electro funk, Prince, his best decade, the smiths, the cure , rem

Movie wise......Bladerunner, After Hours, Trading Places,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

Don't forget

The Pogues, Waterboys, levellers, Nick Cave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Originally posted by Monkey
    Joy Division Singer Ian Curtis died in 1980 after which the remains of Joy Division became New Oder so yes the 80s did bring us New Order , dumby mc dumb

well in son. just one thing though ...where did anyone say anything about new order not being in the 80's?
    i said the 70's gave us joy division ... which is correct.
    maybe next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭p-t saviour

... when Action Force figures became GI Joe Figures? when Milli Vanilli were found out!? and when look who's talking was the biggest film around?!!!!

think about it...

Seán.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Ah the 80s....good times! Where do I start?

Yep, has to be with the A-Team. For them alone I would reccomend Sky Digital or NTLs Digital Cable. Weeknights 6pm and Midnight, and weekends at 11am on UK Gold. AND, yes, the first showing in many many years of the infamous fifth A-Team series when they start working for the Government, Murdoch becomes Sane and the programme became serious, and they changed the theme music! Coming soon. And believe me, being a conniseur, I can tell you that this series (6 episodes before it was cancelled) its more ****e than anything you have ever seen before. I aint getting on no plane crazy fool etc.

Also worth mentioning is the aforementioned McGyver. Apparently due to rights issues there is a problem with repeating this fabulous show. Two years time though, and its open season on Mac and Fat Pete. UK Gold must be slavering at the thought. I wanted to be McGyver. Still do, truth be known.

Airwolf (Stringfellow Hawk, now in jail having been done for Drunk Driving), Knight Rider (I saw David Hasselhof in Germany...singing), Henrys Cat (Rock I tell ya, Rock!), Blue Peter presented by Sophie Ellis Bextors ma, Youngline on RTE with Fungus McAnally.....

In Dublin: Finally some concerts from international artists...they rarely ever used to play here. My first concert, in fact, the first concert in the Point Depot (Huey Lewis, and yes, I was there...), The Blades at the Baggot Inn (if any, and I mean any band who visits this band can get that sort of atmosphere at a gig Id love to see them), Orange Buses arriving in Ballybrack, the first day of the Dart (July 84) - up to that we had cool diesels with compartments or old carriages with all the seats taken out except for plastic red seats along the sides. And heres one, getting a bus up what are now the South keys turning left on to O connell bridge and left again to go DOWN Bachelors walk towards Heuston (reverse of how it is now). Getting off the bus on Grafton Street. Self Aid (lets make it worse). Capital Radio, Nova, Sunshine, choice.

Also: Gorgo Bars (lethal version of Wham Bars). Purple with bits of green ****e in them. Banned quickly and now used as suspension bridges and for sealing holes in Ocean liners. Pacers (stripey mint things shaped like Opal Fruits), Payday (as above but toffee), Florida Fruits (as above but hard boiled). Singing salt and vinegar bottles on Tayto Ads. United bars (We're all delighted, to eat United!), Chilly Willys (ooer Matron) in Orange, Cola, and Red flavour. Noggers (like a choc ice with rice crispies in the chocolate on the outside).

MT USA (RIP Fab Vinnie), Ripleys Believe it (deep breath) or Not (deep breath). Oh I could go on all night.....but Ive a shockin goo on me now for a Gorgo bar...going to do a search and see can I find what country makes them....mmmm....

Pete Reed
    Phantom FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

Originally posted by nellieswellies
    tell them they dont get your vote unless we get the 80's back

Be careful what you wish for Nelly.......!!!!!

But like yer man said in The Commitments - "It feels better being an unemployed musician than an unemployed pipe-fitter" !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Originally posted by knobbles

or what were those crisps with the cyclopse on them?

Monster Munch!

Sadly destroyed by Walkers entry to the Irish market..... and no Mighty Munch are not a patch on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭DG - Corrupted

Mysterious Cities of Gold....... I can't believe no-one mentioned this yet. Possibly the best and most exciting cartoon of the 80s.

Don't forget Knightmare! Remeber Traygar the dungeon master? ITV Friday afternoons at 4:30.

I'm goin off to see if I can find some rubble gum!

Dave (Corrupted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

Yeah knightmare was pretty ****!n cool alright.
    I remember how exciting it used to be when someone would get really far, I used to hide behing the couch 'cause it got pretty scary at that stage.:(

And everybody seems to be forgetting the 80's for the true beginning of the WWF. Ah the days of Hulk Hogan, Andre The Giant, Coco B Ware etc.
    Although we do have The Rock know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

1980's ?

the decade that gave us BACK IN BLACK

end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

spacemen 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"well in son. just one thing though ...where did anyone say anything about new order not being in the 80's?
    i said the 70's gave us joy division ... which is correct.
    maybe next time."

- Oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

i couldn't tell ye anything about the WWF of today but i
    bet it's not a patch on 80's WWF. Who can i remember?

Ultimate Warrior was my favourite,
    always wanted him to kick Hulk Hogans ass.
    Ravishing Rick Rude, sleezy bas*ard
    Macho Man Randy Savage and that big jump
    Your man with the snake...Jake the snake Roberts?
    Junk Yard Dog?...hilarious, JYD!!! JYD!!! JYD!!!
    USA!!! USA!!!....your man with the 2-by-4
    Demolition Men....fat bas*ards

legends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭horsekick

Ah the WWF is still great today. If you have sky sports you can catch repeats of WWF from late 80's/early 90's on a Monday evening at 5 or 6.
    Class stuff

Advertisement