Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Un usual Problem with comp *

• 20-11-2001 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have a bit of an unusual problem with my comp.
    I recently upgraded it from a 300mhz to 1.4Ghz. New mother board n all the rest.

But the prob seems to be on the software side.

When i open a program file directly say microsoft word it loads up in a second, no trouble, but say i try to open a file assoiated with a program like blah.doc then it takes years to open way slower than it ever was on my comp or anyone elses. It does load eventually but not before seeming to crash, its that slow.

I was gonna reinstall win98 but the comp not detectin the cd even tho it works fine once its in windows. Same story with the floppy.

mmm so if anyone has any ideas with either of these probs, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
    Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

So you haven't actually reinstalled windows since upgrading your computer? Its possible to get away without doing so, but a bit iffy. Try installing the drivers that came with your motherboard, if theres no joy, then reinstall windows and then install the drivers.

You have to set the boot options in the bios, to place the cdrom first, if you want to boot from the windows cd. If that doesn't work, your cdrom isn't being picked up by the bios. Set the ide detection to auto for whatever ide channel your cdrom is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

could be a few things, drivers for the motherboard not installed, usually a via motherboard, if so can get the drivers at www.viaarena.com

other thing could be that if u kept the same box, the power supply wouln't be up to supporting a 1.4 ghz processor, which would fall in line with the cd-rom and floppy not working at boot up.

Version 1 of '98 does not include all the via motherboard drivers, specifically in your case the IDE drivers, so get to that web site and install them (make sure it's a VIA first)

More info is always needed, what motherboard do you have? what other components are in the system, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm just curious about the power issue in general.

By my curent understanding, if thereisn't enough power to power the drive, and the drive is looking for it won't it reduce power to everything else, thereby stopping the PC from booting or some-such??

Having never had the joy of experiencing something like that I cna only hazard the above guess.

Gideon, you're a right chancer :) Just re-install it anyways. Prolly due for one by now too. You'll get that loverly lemmonny fwesh clean feeling as though you just washed the neighbours dog in fairy liquid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee a chancer?
    and you a compete stranger...yet know me so well...shockin.

nah not really the only stupid thing i've done lately was this stupid user name but that was some time ago...and all because of some little git signed up posted3 times and never used the GIDEON a/c again. When i signed up i never thought i'd use the boards.ie as much as i have. ahhhhhhhhhhhh well.

anyhewwwwwwwwww, i'll probally mess around with the bios this w/e and try reinstall win98 properly aswell as win2k for the first time. I did actually install win98 but i never formated the parition before hand so it really didn't do anything. I think i may need to reinstall all the software again cos i added another small hard-drive and so all the default letters are messed up. Like i have one main hd thats split in 3. The first on has win98 on it and then 2 virtual ones with appz n games. but since i but in the new smaller one it comes before the two virtual ones. I reinstalled Paint Shop Pro 7 again and it works fine, even with files that are associated with it, so i say it should work with other things too if i reinstall them but theres sooooooooooooo many.

Oh and mmmmmm i'm well used to that lemmy fresh sense of stuff been reinstalled os, infact i doubt there is only a select few that have to resort to it as much as i do(just askin Vincent!), with all my dabblins into the unknown. Its been a while since i ****ed up the comp bad enough that it didn't start at all, hey must be gettin better.

Thanks for ur help anyhew,
    Alan.

Advertisement