Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slashdotted??

Options
  • 20-11-2001 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

I was wondering have we had a mention on Slashdot.org at all recently or ever. I think that one of the things we could do is write to the editors of www.slashdot.org a major website for computer and internet news in general, and if we do get a mention on their page, we could get ourselves alot of hits. What do you all think of the idea? I have talked to fellas personally who have told me they have never heard of Irelandoffline, and these are well hardened BSD gurus and Linux geeks. Im pretty sure they would have been on slashdot at some point. A news mention on slashdot could send alot of these ppl our way, aswell as generating international support?

What do you think? Im going to write them an email pending opinion on this post.

Thanks

Matt

[Correcting URL - adam]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Elana's been trying to get us slashdotted for ages Matt. I think she submitted the Blackout about four times... :)

I wouldn't let that stop you though...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Click http://slashdot.com
    as .org don't work for some reason.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i allways found that site hard to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Hidden away at the bottom of the Slashdot page you'll find a link to http://slashdot.org/submit.pl , which is where news stories are supposed to be submitted.

I've tried on a couple of occasions but didn't get so much as a "No."

Apparently articles about the latest Manga and Animé DVD's; people who happen to have GPS systems with them when they're rowing across the Atlantic; "Friendship in the IT workplace"; the fact that there's a gravestone on the Bleem! site and that bloke what does play Wesley Crusher are more newsworthy than the state of the telecomms infrastructure in some backwards country ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Originally posted by pete
    Hidden away at the bottom of the Slashdot page you'll find a link to http://slashdot.org/submit.pl , which is where news stories are supposed to be submitted.

I've tried on a couple of occasions but didn't get so much as a "No."

Same here...I submitted the Blackout 5 times (2 as me, 3 times as Anonymous Coward). It's a hard thing to get onto, but I thought having a Wired and a Register story would help.

And if anyone knows folks who should know about us, how about finding out if they're on a mailing list? And don't say ILUG...they know us quite well :-).

E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

Yes that is stragne. They seem to have shown little interest in our situation ( or sitiation in Northern Ireland ). Fair play Elana for submitting anyway, Im sure 5 times was plenty to get the editors to notice. Ah well we got plenty of media coverage anyway, and most importantly it was from national newspapers.

Strange they didnt put us up on their page

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

its not really strange... why would they be interested?

if you (as a geek) saw a story about say mexico having no broadband... would you give it a second look? i wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

If I worked at a geek / tech news site and someone submitted a story about consumers in what is ostensibly a technologically advanced country having to resort to a boycott of the internet due to the ridiculous state of affairs re: broadband, then I'd probably be interested.

but that's just me i guess

Advertisement