Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peer 2 Peer network

• 11-06-2000 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I have bought 2 (Trust) 100mbit ethernet cards and some cross over cable, I've installed the cards but:

1) I cant see anything under Network neighbourhood, it asks me to look up help for more details,

2) When either machine is off, every 2 -3 seconds there is a lockup lasting 1 second which is mightily annoying.

My questions are, what am I missing that is preventing me form viewing the other machine.
    What can I do to stop that lockup when only using one PC (terminators or some such?)

The specs of the PCs are:
    1)
    P3 550
    I 440 chipset
    Win 98

P3 800
    I 820 chipset
    Win 98 2nd Ed

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I have my 2 pc's hooked up with crossover cable and 2 3c905b's. Using TCP/IP I set one up with the IP address of 192.168.0.1 and the other with 192.168.0.2 and they both use the default subnet mask and 192.168.0.10 for the default gateway. Works for me no reason why it shouldn't work for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Another thing to check is, make sure both machines are in the same workgroup. Set it to a workgroup, not a Domain.

Also enable LMHOSTS and put the machines IP addresses and names in the HOSTS.SAM file.

[added]

If that doesn't work, you can also do find Computer to access the other computer. Make sure you have file/print sharing on.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 12-06-2000).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

The 3 basic components you need in Net properties are:

Client (Microsoft Networks)
    Protocol (TCP/IP ideally, IPX maybe to make name resultion easier)
    Adapter (Your card... smile.gif...)
    To share files make sure File & Printer Sharing is enabled.

Make sure they have the same workgroup name, and a different PC name.

I know these are basic but its easy to miss (And being asked to look at help sounds odd, like its telling you something is missing....).

If all seems fine set it up as sickboy suggested (Or just use something simpler like 100.100.100.x - there are a few restricted numbers so if you get an error try something else), except for the default Gateway it's not actually necessary, but if you have connection problems it 'sometimes' (Very rarely) helps to set the Gateway to the IP of the card in your machine (It's basically telling your PC where to send info if it han't got a clue how to reach the other card (its really meant for multi-homed PC's (couple of Netcards) or multiple networks on the same backbone).
    Now if you still cannot see the other PC, try this (Presuming Sickboys IP addresses)

Go to machine with IP 192.168.0.1
    Go to an MSdos Prompt.
    Type Ping 192.168.0.2 (enter)

You should see either a destination
    Unreachable or a proper ping time.

If its unreachable I'd rip everything out of networking and start again. Load up Netbeui aswell (Useless for games but handy for testing).
    If you still cant see it then the first thing I'd suspect is your cable (Its the easiest to replace, and skipping while one machine is off sounds a bit odd).
    Then maybe try repositiong you netcards in the PCS 9incase its an IRQ conflict).

Ah the joys of hme networking..... smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

test if your cards are setup properly by pinging the actual one in the machine u are sitting at.. this will let u know if all necessary software etc is installed properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 iar_xeno

Thanks all, it was just the printer/file sharing that was left off. I'm a network newbie. The network is brilliant, cheers all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement