Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Present Shopping Time (dublin) 8)

• 21-11-2001 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Time to go shopping for the pressie for the girlfriend
    before the crowds get even worse in town :-)

I'm stumped for ideas. Done perfume, cuddly toys,
    clothes (that was a nightmare;)), jewellry before.

Anybody got any non-bog-standard ideas of things
    to get that aren't tacky either? This has to be the
    hardest thing I've had to think of all year :-) Budget,
    say, £50 up to £100... I'm not loaded :o]

bk.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by burger king
    clothes (that was a nightmare;)),

HAHA fool, rule number one in this world, that you have a knowledge of before you even take your first breath in this world is: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BUY A WOMAN CLOTHES!!!! EVER!!!!

Well with that out of the way you could try a burger king;)

Of course I'm kidding. What does she like to do - read, music, vids, parachute jump, bungee jump, you could also make something with your own hands which would cost nothing but the real bonus about that is tha the present you do buy will have its value multiplied by ten.

I can't think of any other ideas, you could register her for boards.ie, she'd only love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

get her a star or a planet or a field on the moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Get her some nice underwear! Seriously. Although if she's living with her parents that may not go down to well :)
    Failing that......eh.....I don't know, I'm in the same boat myself.

HAHA *nelson voice*

This year for the first year I'm not in the same boat, I know exactly what she wants, cos she told me RESULT. However she still wants a small surprise, which is only a little less of a nightmare bacause its small.

Oh and loon: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BUY A WOMAN CLOTHES!!!! EVER!!!!

Originally posted by Baz_
    Oh and loon: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BUY A WOMAN CLOTHES!!!! EVER!!!!

Ahh, but you see, my girlfriend actually likes the clothes I buy her.... I know that may sound quite fascinating, but it's true!!! She actually hates shopping as well, so I'm blessed really

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I never know what to get Mammy - the brother's an easy one - a game of some sort (and that's all the pressies I have to buy this year).

So what do I get Mammy?!?!?!

As for girlfriends...
    Vouchers for make-overs/days of pampering are a good one (so long as they don't take it the wrong way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

Ahh, vouchers. The best way to say 'I don't know you very well' 8)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

OK so you have done the Jewellery,Teddy,perfume and clothes things before I think these are always the first to go when it comes to presents for GF's.

All I can say is teddys are always good (I love them so there always good ok) If you have the chance to get to london go to Hamleys and make a teddy for her and put your own voice on the sqeeze the paw type thingy. Its cool you pick out the cover then stuff it (to your liking) then put in your voice then pick out a little heart and put it in the teddy then it gets stiched up and you name it and get a birth cert for it and they send out bday cards to some of them. A great present imho.

Other than that the pamper hamper type day is a great present and maybe take her out for dinner after that.

I feel vouchers are some thimes the easy way out but when you are really stuck its best to get one as at least she can get something she wants with it.

Best of Luck,
    kayos

Originally posted by Dr. Loon

Ahh, but you see, my girlfriend actually likes the clothes I buy her.... I know that may sound quite fascinating, but it's true!!! She actually hates shopping as well, so I'm blessed really

OMG wanna swap?????

Originally posted by Baz_

OMG wanna swap?????

Nah....thanks :)

that teddy one is a good idea kayos. Original anyway... might do somethin along those lines myself...

• Advertisement

You want Dr Loon instead of your girlfriend? 8)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

VOUCHERS

One of lifes great kop outs I have (and will) enjoy this Christmas, when it comes to giving pressies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ahh, but you see, my girlfriend actually likes the clothes I buy her....

OK, the easy comments here would be to say your gf is a bloke :) or you are a woman? :D But honestly how do you do it?

But burger king how about:
    Concert tickets.
    Voucher for a makeover in somewhere like 'Babe' on Drury Street.
    Eh, sex toys.

• Site Banned Posts: 334 ✭✭scuzzy

Check out www.iwantoneofthose.com, you're bound to find sumtin' there for the missus (or for yourself).

Buyin' her the Moon usually works... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

CD player? (a goodun)
    Tickets for a concert?
    The aforementioned vouchers for beauty shtuff?
    And if she enjoys slapstick comedy, you could get her tickets to Bottom 2001:An Arse Oddity.

Its hard making suggestions for people if you dont know their interests....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

id have to go with underwear, especially easy for women who have an obsession with their favourite colour, that and something they can show the parents, cds, tickets etc. something mid-priced.
    have to be careful with the beauty therapy vouchers... make sure it doesnt say makeover or some **** like that... "why do i need it?" will always be the reply (usually just taking the piss tho)... a weekend away will be a nicer treat (and two night trips are ridiculously cheap around the country what with the lack of americans).

Originally posted by Static
    You want Dr Loon instead of your girlfriend? 8)

Now theres an idea;)

Originally posted by Victor

OK, the easy comments here would be to say your gf is a bloke :) or you are a woman? :D But honestly how do you do it?

Well that's obviously why I'm with her!! I'm not into that girly, girly shíte and so we suit each other. Good isn't it?

Kali... the auld underwear can be filthy expensive though can't it? Still... is always a good one, ye gotta be careful not to get anything too dodgy, like peephole bra's and crotchless knickers. :) Although u could risk it I suppose. This thread isn't helping me... I still don't know what to get. :mad:

<edit>just realised my reply looks like I'm saying, I could be a woman or my girlfriend could be a bloke!!! Just to clear that up, we're your usual heterosexual couple! :) </edit>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Buy her a camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Don't buy her anything, It always goes down a treat :)

John

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've been dropping the hint for the last 5 present buying occasions for my boyfriend to get me a disco ball. I think the reason I haven't got it is mainly due to his abhorrance for such things!

Girls are quite good at giving clues if you men would just listen.

Originally posted by Das Kitty
    I've been dropping the hint for the last 5 present buying occasions for my boyfriend to get me a disco ball. I think the reason I haven't got it is mainly due to his abhorrance for such things!

Do you realise how hard it is to find disco balls? In Dublin anyway it seems. I tried to buy one a year or two ago and couldn't find them anywhere, so maybe he has tried and had the same problem as me!!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Vouchers are a terrible idea. Its basically saying "I didnt want to give you cash, but here's pseudo-cash anyway cause I hadnt a clue what to buy".

My GF has weird taste....I'm getting her a replica of Conor McLeods sword for Chrimbo :)

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you realise how hard it is to find disco balls?

Dare I mention the evil that is Urban Outfitters, again? They might even have the crotchless knickers.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

They're all over Galway but we're more kitch.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You a Galwegan Kitty? You shoulda been at the boards.ie pissup we had last night in The Blue Note!

Disco balls I think are available in Argos - they've got loads of funky kinda lights and stuff - I'd love to have a spare bit of cash to buy a few bits and pieces like that.

Anyway, vouchers are a bad idea - I didn't phrase my earlier comments correctly. I meant you pay for the day's pampering (pamper hamper some others call it).

However, if the recipient is indeed a book lover or a music lover and you're not too sure what they have or don't have, vouchers make a great stocking filler as opposed to the main pressie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gigi

As a girlfriend...I think the best present I ever got from a boyfriend was my sony minidisc player....so there's an idea for someone. Maybe I'm not a girlie girl, but personally I think teddies and underwear kinda suck as presents, at least I wouldn't be thrilled to get them myself! You can't go wrong with cd's, gadgety things...if you can't be trusted to buy clothes then vouchers for favourite shops are always a good idea.

As for the disco ball, I've seen them in the gadget shop in jervis street for about £20 if thats any help :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

To be honest I think when a man buys underware for a girlfriend, its more of a present for him then her.

John

Originally posted by Lump
    To be honest I think when a man buys underware for a girlfriend, its more of a present for him then her.

John

In some cases... but it depends on the girl.... som elike it, some don't. Most girls I know don't like to receive gadgets and things, it's more of a bloke thing to receive things they can fiddle abuot with, break, fix, break again, get bored of!!

Obviously you'll know what way your girlfriend thinks yourself....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

Oh this is the most perfect thread ever.. just what I was looking for.

I really need some help :)

Forget about girlfriends.. what should I buy my (2oyr old) boyfriend for Christmas?!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My god woman!! Men are simple to buy for, just look at this thread. Any gadget that he doesn't already have, clothes or some saucy underwear (for you obviously :)). Simple as that :)

Originally posted by androphobic
    Oh this is the most perfect thread ever.. just what I was looking for.

I really need some help :)

Forget about girlfriends.. what should I buy my (2oyr old) boyfriend for Christmas?!

:)

If he smokes, get him a nice zippo, or an element lighter.
    If the doesn't, go to the gadget shop (if in Dublin) and get him something there... there's plenty of good shít. :)

Sex. Visit him, do him, leave.
    Repeat as necessary.
    If it gets into eyes, wash immediately.

Advertisement