Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blackout is Over - What next ?

Options
  • 21-11-2001 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

As far as i am concerned the Blackout was a total success. It could not have worked without the willing help and support of everyone here (hideing or not ye know who ye are :) ) But once again Eircom seem to have just brushed it to one side and ignored it. I cant say how good felt to have someone take a Flyer...walk away... and 10 - 15 mins later come back and say they never knew about all this untill now and how could they help.

Now there is more people aware of the situitation. Is there some way that we can keep the pressure on Eircom. Another Blackout ?
    Takeing out our Own Advert to make people more aware of us ?
    Try to get the likes of Gerry Ryan or whoever on our side on the radio ? Trying to get on the TV in whatever programme ? Trying to get someone elected on the Dail ? Paying our phone bill without paying for the Internet charges ? Anything to keep the momentom going ? Ye have all seen the responce, surely we are not going to stop there ? Please do not say 'WAIT' as it gives the enemy time to recover and heal any wonds we have inflicted on then :( .

MS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

If the flyers were such a success - why don't we keep handing them out?

I'd hand some out here in blanch if i could get my hands on a few. Or maybe even drop some in letter boxes......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

That sound good,

I do the shopping in Blanch and would be willing to place flyers on cars or hand them out outside the Eircom shop while the girlfriend does the shopping (really hate shopping)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

The black out was a huge success. The front page of wired is HUGE but still I don't know about you, but I did expect a bigger turn out with even more media coverage. Before going to Grafton Street on Friday I was expecting/hoping to see a crowd of like maybe 100 people all dressed in black, waving plackards around. Something like that, i think, would get on the 6:01 news. But instead it was just a small group of less than 5 people for most of the day, and around 5pm or so there was a group of about 10 people. Not terribly 6:01 newsworthy, IMO.

Wouldn't it just be great, if we could organise, some exact day and time, to protest peacefully and respectfully by standing outside Eircom's HQ with plackards demanding that FRIACO to be implemented, and how the absence of FRIACO is stagnating and destroying this country's future economy. If you had a group of at least 100 people there from 2:00 to 4:00 someday, IMO it would give this campaign the media exposure and coverage it truly deserves.

Well that's my two cent worth :) (not cents you know, we're only allowed say cent when the Euro comes in :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I think an add campaign is a viable idea. Bard and Co ...could you set up some sort of funding account that we could contribute to? Could be PayPal based or some sort of Giro system. You could set up a target meter online to meet your weekly / monthly add campaigns in for example Southside / Northside local news papers or if its more successful regional newspapers. Tony Allen billboards could be the next step :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

If you want to hand out more flyers, you can find the original flyer at http://www.irelandoffline.org/files/blackout_flyer_small.pdf. It does have the date on it, so if anyone has Adobe Acrobat and can change that, it would be appreciated.

As for a fund, well, I want you all to remember that we have day jobs to pay the bills (and we all know how high those are). Managing a fund like that might end up taking a lot of time, and having everyone decide on an ad and where to put it could be...riotous to say the least :-). I'm not slamming the idea, I just want to make sure everyone realizes this...

E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

The security on the pdf doc prevents editing.. I'll can patch it up in illustrator, but I haven't got the fonts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The ad would provide a new advertising & promotional medium but does anyone have £10k lying about they're willing to donate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The ad would provide a new advertising & promotional medium but does anyone have £10k lying about they're willing to donate

sorry mate would love to help you but those eircom shares didnt work out too well for me :p

seriously thoughthe "flyer in the letter box " is a good idea

also discussed in another thread the idea of a website giving independent comparisons between the different telecommunications companies regarding their internet charges something similar to http://www.b4ucall.com

Plague the radio talk shows untill they get you on air

Im thinking liveline Gerry Ryan and maybe the last word as well
    if you get on the right talk show you wont have to pay for any advertisements.

well those are my thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

1. If the flyers were such a success - why don't we keep handing them out?

2. Wouldn't it just be great, if we could organise, some exact day and time, to protest peacefully and respectfully by standing outside Eircom's HQ with plackards demanding that FRIACO to be implemented, and how the absence of FRIACO is stagnating and destroying this country's future economy. If you had a group of at least 100 people there from 2:00 to 4:00 someday, IMO it would give this campaign the media exposure and coverage it truly deserves.

3. add campaign is a viable idea

4. seriously though the "flyer in the letter box " is a good idea

Ok the ad after seeing how much it would cost i think is a bad idea and as E said if we set up a fund for it that might create a lot of hassle too. However so far everyone thinks the Flyers were a good idea. The Blackout flyer could be modified and include also something on the lines of what 'fcddunne' said "giving independent comparisons between the different telecommunications companies regarding their internet charges something similar to http://www.b4ucall.com" and any other revelent information. Elana if your reading this could you ask u know who to see what she can do. The Blackout Flyer was MAGIC! :) And then we can see if anyone would be willing to supply / distribuate some / loads all over the place again for us :)

As for part 2. above. This is something i think we should aim for BIG TIME! I know people have jobs / mouths and hmm hmm future mouths to feed :P ( hehehe no insult ment ok :) ) So we should think strongly about it and set a date say.... for 3 maby 4 months time ? for it to happen. And rather than 100 people turning up for it lets try aim for 1,000 or more. Im sure if given proper notice we could get people from all over Ireland to attend. What do ye think ?

MS

PS E the eyes of Ireland are watching and waiting we better be the 3rd to know so make sure you bring your laptop hehehehe
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! I ment bring your laptop so u could email us :D LOL!

Hey also forgot to mention trying to get on to the Gerry Ryan Show and any TV show. Anyone got any friends there that might be able to help ?

WHEW! :)

MS

• Advertisement
Advertisement