Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM or ROM

• 12-06-2000 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Should I but a DVD-ROM combo drive or a DVD-RAM?

A DVD combo driver can write to CD-Rs and CD-RWs. Most of my software is on CDs at the moment so this is an attractive option right now.

On the other hand, a DVD-RAM can write to a DVD which is the medium of the future and can also funtion as a 5.2GB removable HD. The problem is the disks for this are a whopping $34 in America and you can bet on paying 34 pounds.

The DVD-ROM is the best short-term solution and the DVD-RAM long-term. How long though is the short-term. It could last as long as 3 years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I wouldnt be so sure about DVD-Ram being the future.
    There's a second format, DVD re-Writable, that while a lot more expensive at the mo. (try 3000 for a drive), can create disks that can be played in a normal (movie) player. DVD-Ram can't.

DVD-Ram is not byte-for-bbuck on a par with CD's. so the real question is Do you NEED all that capacity on one disk or can you gte by for the next year or two on CD's?

I'd stick with the CD burner. The DVD-Ram is expensive overkill, that may well be obsolete itself before it comes into it's own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Totally agree with Creed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

I wasn't actually planning on being a big DVD pirate......but I suppose there's no harm in having the option! biggrin.gif

Thanks Creed.

Advertisement