Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps2 Neo4 Chip

Options
  • 21-11-2001 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Hullo

I am getting a fair few of these in next week hopefully, anyone interested in having one fitted?

Comments

What is a Neo4 chip ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think its similar to the "mod chip" for the PSX. ie, allows you to play "backup copies" (ie pirated {!}) games. Might also allow region free dvd playback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

See www.playstationmods.com for more information on this chip.

It is similar to the original psx chip but also has cool dvd enhancements like multi region and no macrovision.

Oh yeah never assume that people who want a chip to allow them to play backups are doing so for piracy, this is a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    Oh yeah never assume that people who want a chip to allow them to play backups are doing so for piracy, this is a mistake.
    I don't think the "backup - not piracy" argument holds much water when very few people have the facility (ie - dvd writer) to actually back up PS2 games.

Not all games are on dvd btw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

You can play a small number of PS2 DVD titles off CD but it involves ripping off a lot of the content - music, video etc. Comes under the heading of "why bother" really...

Neo4 is much more useful for playing import titles. Games like MGS2 and ICO are out in the USA now and won't be available here for months...

no they are *not* all on dvd, SSX is not on DVD, Ridge Racer is not on dvd

the majority of new ones are dvd but 'ripping' is not required in all cases...

I got my chip fitted to get the import MGS2 , thats my xmas sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Pirated games can also come in multiple cds without ripping content out. Disk swapping can be annoying though.

Like Shinji said, it's good for playing imported games but it's also very useful if you are using your PS2 as your main dvd player though you can get other solutions for that like the datel mem card thingy.

I've been following the development of this for a while now and as far as I know it's still not available yet. You can only pre-order it. And there's another mod-chip called the messiah (also not out yet) which is meant to have very similar features for those who're interested.

Advertisement