Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design = Hire me!

• 21-11-2001 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hey,

I am willing to do basic web design for small sites, such as a corner shops, cab companys..

I can do:

Graphics

Code [ html,php ]

I can setup all things in the cgi bin..

Basic Web design, cheap prices.. =D ..

I have my own site at : http://boxsoft.hackitude.cjb.net

That is my own personal site, i can do all sorts of layouts for you, cheap too =D

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Your site doesn't work. All the links on the top bar don't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

in future id appreciate it if you gave advice and useful information.
    lets try and be helpful instead of making sarcastic comments
    thats my job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shoe

Yes.. : /

I havent finished the site, dont plan too..

I didnt ask for comment on the content structure of my site..

It was to see the design and what i can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Shoe

Yes.

But those php errors were just like 404's, not code error.

Also, content can be fitted into sites easy, but as for the code, and design, that is where i come in. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

I'm sorry shoe, but this is the type of reply you get on public boards. People aren't here to mollycoddle you, they're here for opinions, insights, and are willing to help if you ask. I've been on different boards all round the net and it's the same everywhere :)

As for your site, it's alright I guess, if everything worked. You should never ask users to pick a resolution. A design like yours should be possible without this, revise your table html. I know a lot of people have problems with the guy for being a self opinionated arsehole, but if you get a chance to read 'Designing Web Usability' by Jakob Nielsen [1], or similar book, he makes some very valid and common sense points that people often overlook.

Gone Shootin' is right. Never send a CV/letter to an employer advertising a non working site. It doesn't matter if it's just to show off your graphics/site design, if there's errors all over the place, that's going to make a more lasting bad impression than your design might overcome.

Again, go over your HTML. Thankfully, people with IE3/NS3 or lower browsers are now in the tiny minority [2] so designing more flexible tables is a little bit less of a nightmare.

Good luck with the job hunting.

static.

[1] : http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/156205810X/o/qid=1006822668/sr=8-1/ref=sr_aps_b_1_1/202-8557133-1563861

[2] : http://www.webreference.com/stats/browser.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Shoe
    800x600 Bigger..

I can create all kind of sites, and i would also like to see you make better, all i can see is alot of talk..

Every single site I've ever written in the past 5-6 years is far better structured and better looking than that effort of yours, shoe... although, to be perfectly honest, that wouldn't be all that hard.

I've been a web-developer/designer by profession for the best part of the past 6 years and I'm currently on the lookout for work myself. We all know how dead the industry is at the moment.

Just a suggestion - make sure your own site is up to scratch (and not producing errors!) if you're going to mention it on a forum in which you advertise your web design services. It might also be an idea to show some examples of previous work done, qualifications, experience, etc. so that the potential customer knows that they're getting someone who knows what they're doing and not just some script kiddie youngster out to make a fast buck.

As an example, some of the (over 40) sites I've worked on thus far can be seen at http://niall.okeeffe.com/work.html - the most recent of my creations being the award-winning IrelandOFFLine web site at www.irelandoffline.com

Best of luck,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Also, those php errors werent errors, simple 404's,

Lets just clarify the concept of a "404"
    http://www.sendcoffee.com/minorsage/404error.html

a fw posts deleted due to having really no content.
    either be helpful, or be critical in a helpful way.
    god knows i dont like doing it, but even less on a board with no traffic at the moment.
    if yuou dont like his website and want to spend the time saying so, why dont you put in a little paragraph that will help as well.
    im sure you will all be delited to help, especially you terminator, since you are all experts in the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Shoe
    I havent finished the site, dont plan too..

What a fantastic web designer you must be then.

AAhhem, one for myself now

**Network Installations**

Run cabling to hubs, you can wire it up yourself

take server out of box, leave it to gather dust

HIRE ME!

I think I've made my point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Bard
    As an example, some of the (over 40) sites I've worked on thus far can be seen at http://niall.okeeffe.com/work.html
    Just a thought, Bard...

Especially with the number of dot bombs taking place nowadays, I’ve begun to check my past sites (at least the ones that I no longer administer) on a regular basis, as you may end up giving a link to a site that’s no longer there or even worse to a holding page saying that the company has gone bust (and what kind of psychological effect would that have on a potential client ;) ).

For example, Cyrona went bust the other month. While the site appears to still be up at present, but unless you now own it, it’s only a matter of time before your link to it goes dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

unfortunately, what you have posted on this board so far has been drivel.
    it hasnt been helpful in any way. nor has it made it any points.
    again if you can be bothered to take half an hour to post, try and make sure that what you post isnt going to be deleted.

and its really easy to make sure your post isnt deleted or edited.
    post helpful on constructive critisms.
    if you dont like it, then you are all together free to post rubbish on a nother board.
    it takes me less than 20 seconds to delete your post, so im not worried about it.

hope this has cleared it up.
    feel free to discuss anything of a work nature here.
    in fact, im not too worried about what you post on this forum.
    you can talk about the joy of sex for all i care, just try and make your points valid and non abusive, as per your last 2 posts.
    have a nice day.
    whitewash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Talk about overkill. No wonder nobody posts anything here.

I'm sure you'll delete this when you read it. So go ahead and get your little power trip.

Kinda sad really ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 badboy

Savages! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by 80project

Lets just clarify the concept of a "404"

I went to check up on the error but it said it wasn't there.

Originally posted by Terminator
    Talk about overkill. No wonder nobody posts anything here.

I'm sure you'll delete this when you read it. So go ahead and get your little power trip.

Kinda sad really ...

whatever.

however if you insist on writing drivel, and i keep deleting it and you keep coming back, i would have to say that that is kinda sad.
    really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

cant believe this thread is still going. but nehoo some constructive threads from me for a change *ahem*

http://www.websitetips.com/

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/design/

ahhh, look at the helpfulness...

now doesnt that make you feel all warm and cuddly?

nice one GS.
    this is exactly what id like to see instead of the usual 'you are crap'
    what we need is a 'you are crap, try doing this' approch :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Hobbes

I went to check up on the error but it said it wasn't there.

http://www.sendcoffee.com/minorsage/404error.html
    Worked fine just now:)

Must be the nature of the beast!

Advertisement