Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control unit for 4pin 80mm and 120mm fans

• 21-11-2001 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

looking for a control unit on sale here, something like a digidoc but that will work with 12v and 4 pin. they sell them at www.overclockingstore.co.uk, call them bay bus but i dont really want the hassel of ordering from england.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Goto the Hardware Tweaking board.

I'm working on a home made thing that would be very cheap. Can be easily adapted too.

The baybus is handy if you want something with a logo, warranty and a LCD temp readout. It has some nice features too, but the POTS (afaik) wil burn out eventually anyways.

The method I'm working on involves a voltage splitter so, hopefully, it won't generate heat and hence won't burn our. I hope. Involves divverent Ohm Resistors, bits of wire and a 2 or 3-way switch. Might want something to mount it on too.

I'll have a few diagrams of soemthing up soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

your thinking of the digidoc, the baybus is a straight forward on off type thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Syxpak, if you use resistors, you will generate heat. To avoid this, you will need to use switching voltage regulators, which still generate heat, but not nearly as much since they are so much more efficient.

I use variable resistors in my own machine, in fact they of the type that are used as volume controls in radios, they can handle a lot more power than your normal rheostat, since they are made quite differently. I am well familiar with burning out variable resistors, but these ones have been in my machine for a year or more, in use almost 24/7, and are still working fine.

Advertisement