Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how secure is your money?

• 21-11-2001 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

I went into the AIB last week to get money for my new comp, had my details n pass card with me and numerous forms of ID.

Anyway the amount was over £1k so she told me i couldn't use the passcard so she fills out the withdrawal and asks me to sign it. Fine says I, signed the slip n got the cash.

She didn't ask me for id, the only info i gave her was my account number and sort code that kinda crap. I thought nothing of it at the time, but afterwards i was just thinkin... [though]if anyone stole my wallet n got my account details they could empty my account!, at least the card has a pin number but if ya want over a grand just go and ask for it, sign a withdrawal form n you're away scott free! :eek:[/thought]

I should really go back and complain or something... but i'm too lazy :)

Madness

on another bank related matter, anyone hear about the guy who asked bank of Ireland to transfer £1500 to a spanish account, the amount came to 300,000 pasata's but someone made a mistake n sent €300,000 :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Something similar happened me before, I forgot my card and I said I'd give it a shot anyway.
    All they asked me for was my Date Of Birth and my address!
    Didn't really think much of it 'till that night

I didn't bother complaining either you never know when you might find a PASS card lying around the place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Same goes for plenty of things. The way it is (5 years ago anyway) in the place where you get birth certs(what's it called?), was that you walk in, give them your name, DOB, Mother's name and Hospital/Place of birth, and they give you a bona fide birth cert. Apparently loads of criminals, The General, et al, would do some research and get all the info for some child who died shortly after being born. Then they pop in and get the birth cert, then a valid passport, and for some reason there was never any link between getting a birth cert and checking for a death cert. This may be changed now, with computers and such, but giving the state of our Goverment Agencies, I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

as far as i know there were at least two computers in Ireland five years ago.

The problem is not computer records, the problem is that because a birth cert is hard copy, and has to be that way for at least another 10 years I'd say, there isn't really a good way to record em, scanning yeah and then ocr it but what about the signature of the doctor or whatever, its difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah but even once the death cert is issued they can just go and destroy any hard copy birth certs and put a big, red 'DEAD' beside the entry in the register of births, computers would have just made that easier, not possible. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

In england they are a lot more strict. However saying that I have no ****ing time for banks. The AIB gave me a £300 pound credit card and somehow managewd to let me spend £450 on it. I wrote letters the my branh of the bank and to the head office of the credit card people, but never got a reply. So now I'm £150 more in debt then I should have been.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Lump
    In england they are a lot more strict. However saying that I have no ****ing time for banks. The AIB gave me a £300 pound credit card and somehow managewd to let me spend £450 on it. I wrote letters the my branh of the bank and to the head office of the credit card people, but never got a reply. So now I'm £150 more in debt then I should have been.

CC limit-checking is based on a number of assumptions, which can lead you to overspending. Theres very little info about this available from your bank, but here it is....

1) Every shop has a "floor limit" which varies depending on the location and nature of the shop. Spend below that and you get "ghost authorisation" - basically your card is checked against the "blocked and stolen" lists, and then 1% of the transactions are actually verified against the issuer to see if it has available limit. Therefore, you could theoretically spend thousands over your limit in a single day, as long as it was in multiple shops. Before you spot a "rip-off" potential, please note you are still liable to repay these debts and they will take legal action if you try dodging it.

2) Some banks (including AIB) use a system commonly known as "behaviour scoring" where your limit is regularly evaluated, and modified up or down according to your spending and payment habits. You are not always informed of limit-increases - a practice I vehemently oppose. This is based on the premise that most cardholders "revolve" around 75% of their limit, and seeing as the banks earn a percentage when you shop (and some interest when you pay back in installments) they are trying to encourage you to spend more on the card to make them more money.....but only if your profile says youre a bood bet.

If you have a problem with this, you should contact AIB Credit Card Centre in writing and inform them that you do not wish to have your limit increased without your consent, and point out that they do not have any mention of reserving the right to do this in their terms and conditions (check first - they may have added it in since I checked). If they refuse, I would suggest that you change card-issuer. Pretty much any other issuer will be delighted to take your balance from AIB CC and put it on one of their cards.

Hope this is of some use.

jc

Advertisement