Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN questions

• 11-06-2000 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Im ringing up to get hi-speed installed tomorrow, but Ive a few questions before I do smile.gif
    Firstly, I have 2 computers, one downstairs one upstairs, I need to have both of these with access to the line and also a phone downstairs, the Eircom box will be in the study downstairs beside the phone and computer...........can you split these hi-speed lines up like ordinary lines? Basically i need the thing to serve 2 phones downstairs and the 2 computers, but only 1 phone at a time......... Im making a mess of explaining this I know frown.gif How do you go about splitting up the line? like an ordinary line? What sort of cable do I need to take from the box to the upstairs comp? And do I take both channels upstairs or is each channel a seperate line? (the upstairs comp wont need more than 64k)
    Secondly, Where can I get as cheap a TA as possible? The eircom one is £90, I have no bother ordering from the UK or Going to shops in ireland, wherever is cheapest...........there's no difference between the ISDN lines of ireland and the UK like there is in the telephone lines is there?
    I hope yis can understand those questions.
    thanks in advance smile.gif

I am inflatible !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

No idea about the first question, for the second, I think you can get a TA in IT Direct of Parliament St. for about 70 quid. Get the Eicon Diva internal card, best pings and software overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Ah thanks smile.gif Ive been told there's 2 phone POTS and 2 Internet POTS on the hi-speed box so that hould answer my first question smile.gif

I am inflatible !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ah Mills, don't join the evil realm of LPBdom... smile.gif

Famous last words: I'm waiting for cable.

Its not so much the low ping as te stable connect and lack of packetloss that I want smile.gif
    My line/esat combination is just TOO unstable and useless

I am inflatible !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Yes I agree about the DIVA. Class card, have one myself. That HiSpeed wall box sounds nice if it has 2 pots as well as 2 RJ45's as the standard ISDN box only has the 2 RJ45's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Mills, for ther first question. Get and ISDN modem. This has two Phone connections on it. These can be split like a normall line.

The other option is to get a cable that will convert the ISDN connection into a input for a normall phone.

I would imagine that the second option would be difficult. I will talk to you about it on IRC, when I´m in Ireland. Cause I´ll look at the IDSN modem and explain better.

John

Cheers john smile.gif
    It's being ordered this evening smile.gif

I am inflatible !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

What number did you ring Mills ? Think I got shafted with the one I tried.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Im now waiting over 4 months for my isdn installation.. have rang eircom up last week and they claim they cant find my order yet an eircom guy came out a month ago to make sure the house i was in was the right one...what a fantastic telco we have in this country..

Tincool: The number on that information yoke they sent out to me house............If they havent come by next monday im ringing up to hassle them about it...........it shouldnt take long up here in monaghan smile.gif

I am inflatible !

• Advertisement
Advertisement