Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Operation Flashpoint Board

• 21-11-2001 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭

I think this is my 1000th post.

For this occasion may i ask you to further the cause of gaming by creating an Operation Flashpoint board in teh games forum???

I should be able to moderate it(with a spot of help from equally-minded souls), seeing as how I'm
    a)willing
    b)in college with a god connection a a fair bit of free time
    c)being a good ikkle lick-arse for this.

Do the right thing.
    Save Timmeh.
    The Hind coming over the horizon has it in for him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

New board requests go to Admin. Besides, it gets more traffic :)

[moved from Webmaster]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I like op flash and all but there isnt really a need for a board for it. Look at the games board, how many topics on op flash in the last 3 months? As said before, the games board isnt exactly over flowing with topics so that youd miss the op flash ones like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

It sounds really good but I'm wondering will it end up like the tribes2 boards which has got to yhe point of dissuse, but I think it has more promise. I like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I just bought Op Flash recently and while it's a great game I really don't think there'd be enough interest in it for it's own full board. Maybe a community board but even at that I don't think there's more than 20 people in Ireland that play it regularly.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Yeah, there was a load of people calling for a Black and white board. And yet who plays B&W now? I think the criteria should be: if enough people still play a game 6months to a year after it was launched then it deserves a board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Id like to see an OpFlash board. The interest is there and the game is fantastic. Even if it was just a community board for now, I'd still like to see it.

Alot of people are intersted in it..theres 2 lans happening in Galway and Dublin already.

Go for it, I'd say.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

In my opinion the criteria used when deciding whether to give a game it's own forum is this:

The game should be a popular multiplayer/online game as these tend to have a much longer lifespan (look at Half-Life).
    Single player games tend to fall out of the limelight after about 6 months (example Black & White as Amp pointed out) no matter how popular they are.

Without multiplayer and/or mods people just don't go back to play games over and over.

I do have Operation Flashpoint and it is indeed a very good game but I reckon that such a forum would be dead within months unless it were to take off as an online game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Ok stoopid idea here but what if you made a merged tribes / op flash board? seeing as el marco said that the tribes board is hardly ever used it would get a bit of activity going without having two semi-dead boards on the trot?

like i said, stoopid idea.

PS there's an Operation Flashpoint Gold Pack and Gold Pack Upgrade released the end of the month for those that are thinking of buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Hmmm... its true that the Tribes board is dead beyone reincarnation at this stage (it was hoped that T2 would give it new life, and it did, for a couple of weeks). For those of you who dont remember, it was just as big as the CS board in its own heyday... but then again, CS will probably be the same in a year or two.

What im wondering is what is the sense in merging a dead forum with a potentially dead forum? You end up with one, big, dead forum.

If there were to be another forum, i would suggest Final Fantasy - this forum did exist for a few weeks just before the boards got its boards.ie domain name, and was doing quite well... I recall it being reengineered out of existence 'because it was easier to move a couple of hundred posts than a couple of thousand' (referring to the tribes board).

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by Asuka
    What im wondering is what is the sense in merging a dead forum with a potentially dead forum? You end up with one, big, dead forum.

Better One Potentially dead board than two. Plus it'd give those whingy op flash people somewhere to post :P And with the release of the gold edition there MAY be a few more players than there are now.

What about RTCW??? It's out friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I didn't remember the Admin boards till i clicked on Dev's 'Furture of Boards.ie' thingy.

Sorry :)

Anyways, when i was asking for a board I thought commuinity boards were only for clans and radio stations.
    Any board at all where people can post links to good resource site or links to any maps, units, weapons they've made and to gernerally discuss the game and stuff would be fine.
    I know a full board is too much, and it would be pretty sparse.
    If the broadband thing comes together in this country this is one game that would take off, imo.
    It really needs at least a 64K ISDN connection, but I reckon you could try and get away with a good 56K.
    I'm on 28.8K atm, and nearly connected to a game a few months back over in the US, though I was kicked I think. Was using Gamespy Arcade for the first time.
    Surely if someone setup a dedicated server (which, afaik, is very small in install terms) it could be playable. I find a 200ping in CS to be adequate, if not what I aspire too.

The game has only been released for about 4-5 months over here. There are at least 7 mods in the pipeline, most being done to a high standard (these mods take more work and larger teams for all teh modelling and texture work - whole islands have to be created from scratch).

There is a good OP|Flash player base in Galway, so I reckon there's at least twice as many people in Dublin who'd play it.
    It just hasn't gotten the publicity of Halflife, it's a new game after all, not an enhanced version of a previous engine (ie. HL and Q2).

I'm by no means demanding a board, just think a forum of some kind could be benificial to people who are sick of kiddie l4mb4rs ranting about CS (ie Linkin :D)

Salut mes jeueurs

Advertisement