Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some damn statistics for you (48Kb image)

Options
  • 22-11-2001 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

BroadbandGraph.jpg

- as featured in this months "PC Format" magazine.

Note total and utter lack of *anything* in Ireland either now or in 2005... the only other country similar being Portugal.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

no mention of the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland or Austria?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

*sigh*

Finland's 30% is phenomenal though, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oi Adam- ... each of those is > 78Kb, man!

Spare a thought for the bandwidth-challenged among us, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

That second one is very good adam.

In the original pic maybe the onset of global warming and rising sea levels has happenned and nobody told us 'cos we aint even on the map, maybe thats why the Netherlands are nowhere to be seen either.

What about BroadBand Britain we hear of?? They plan to be @ 15% in 2005, but prolly so do Ireland.

/me contemplates.... sufferance of scandanavian winter -v- broadband...hmmm!!??/

In the original pic maybe the onset of global warming and rising sea levels has happenned and nobody told us 'cos we aint even on the map, maybe thats why the Netherlands are nowhere to be seen either.

It's quite indicative really. In the new, largely Internet-driven world, Ireland is simple sinking without trace. Bertie's wonderful "e-hub" is nowhere to be seen. We're for the most part a non-entity, a First World country with a Third World e-economy.

This is bolstered by the lack of an "Ireland" option on most global sites. When we localise, we're sent to .co.uk. That says a lot for IE too. The IEDR spent tens of thousands of pounds on marketing IE last year, whereas IrelandOffline spent a small bit of managed time and energy. Who got more press this year?

What about BroadBand Britain we hear of?? They plan to be @ 15% in 2005, but prolly so do Ireland.

Broadband Britain isn't apparent for exactly the same reason "Interactive Ireland" doesn't exist - the incumbent operator didn't embrace data, they battled it. They saw a threat, when they should have been seeing a boon. All they had to do was rebrand and reinvent. The infrastructure is there, all they had to do is take advantage of it. But they didn't, they acted like children and kept the toy for themselves. Another parallel with IE.

We're in a different position now though, and some might say a better position. Due to the imcompetence and short-sightedness of Eircom - and everyone else involved - we don't even show up on that map, but we still can. We should be projecting above Norway, Finland and Sweden. And it's because we don't show up on that map that we can do that. We don't have to make the same mistakes.

But will we? Not unless the government extracts entire limbs from their rear-facing representative orifices and enacts legislation like the Communications Bill swiftly and with a minimum of bickering. And bangs more Bills on the table quick-smart. Otherwise we're doomed, doomed I tell ya. The end is nigh!

adam

We're in a different position now though, and some might say a better position. Due to the imcompetence and short-sightedness of Eircom - and everyone else involved - we don't even show up on that map, but we still can.

I agree and lets hope the politicians and players stop the bickering and rectify this pharce in the next Comms Bill.

However, some may also argue that esat kicking SNL in to touch also created an environment wherein the acknowledgment that things must change was created.

Perhaps we can say the telco's are by their own inadequacies forcing Macro-Economic Intervention.

HMMM Conspiracy Theory Possibly.... bring the Nation to its knees and then force the Govt. to come in and save the day?? But I dont even think that can be a called a conspriracy because We all know that whats goin to have to happen- whether it be thro' state employees laying cable or hyper-subsidisation of the Telco's to do so!

I'd love to have the map handy on 2005 to see what really has transpired

HMMM Conspiracy Theory Possibly.... bring the Nation to its knees and then force the Govt. to come in and save the day?? But I dont even think that can be a called a conspriracy because We all know that whats goin to have to happen- whether it be thro' state employees laying cable or hyper-subsidisation of the Telco's to do so!

It doesn't have to happen that way though. All that's needed to kickstart the process in Ireland is for Eircom to agree to reasonable, cost-oriented pricing for flat-rate and broadband bitstream products. Not US pricing, or even UK pricing, but pricing that genuinely relates to their costs. That's all the Regulator wants, that's all IrelandOffline wants. And let's be honest, it's not asking much...

adam

And let's be honest, it's not asking much...

Adam, when it comes to €ircom thats like asking them to solve world hunger, a cure for aids and global warming all at once.
    While it mighn't happen totally in the manner I outlined it will manifest itself along similar lines- ie GOVT Intervention- in some form or another.
    Not US pricing, or even UK pricing, but pricing that genuinely relates to their costs. That's all the Regulator wants, that's all IrelandOffline wants.

Of course thats what I would love to see but in t absence of legislation to force that then all we ever get is cosy cartel pricing arrangements:(

Overall...
    Unless the hand of €ircom is forced they are NEVER just going to agree to a fair cost oriented pricing regime. So I'd disagree w/ you there Adam.

The Shíts gonna have to go down like dat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

This really pisses me off totally, I was watching the news just now about rein air and air reinta. its not a totally different situation to this one. rein air, offered to put million upon millions into Dublin airport, but the government, in their infinite wisdom as prick teasers decided to piss about. so rein air ****ed off else were to do it, saying Dublin was to expensive and slow.

and I have to ask, is the government so arrogant to think the likes of BT, NTL and AT&T have nothing better to do here then sit around and hold their dicks, waiting for the government to sort out this mess. They two will eventually piss off out of the country. Sure why would they state, its not like they made huge investments here in the likes of LLU or Even built a half decent broadband network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Article here : (html code post thing not working)

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2826887,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01

Last paragraph is a bit interesting:

The European Commission is widely expected to soon target three specific countries that have hampered the roll-out of fast Internet

/me wonders who.....hehe

Originally posted by gurramok
    Article here : (html code post thing not working)

http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2826887,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01

Last paragraph is a bit interesting:

The European Commission is widely expected to soon target three specific countries that have hampered the roll-out of fast Internet

/me wonders who.....hehe

Yes, the EU is currently investigating Ireland WRT LLU, and will apparently be releasing a report on the matter next month. This is no doubt why Eircom have allowed Esat on their hallowed turf in Limerick, but it's a very small concession and won't fool the EU. The pricing issues still needs to be resolved of course.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originall posted by dahamsta
    This is bolstered by the lack of an "Ireland" option on most global sites. When we localise, we're sent to .co.uk. That says a lot for IE too. The IEDR spent tens of thousands of pounds on marketing IE last year, whereas IrelandOffline spent a small bit of managed time and energy. Who got more press this year?

Let's be fair here though. The IEDR, up until about 8 months ago was working from a little shack in UCD, and considerable time and effort was being spent on finding a suitable site for them, everything else got thrown on the back burner for about 6 months. And as well, 90% of people who I've said the words 'IEDR' to hasn't had a clue what I'm on about, but mention call costs to them and they'll be all on for it. :) Of course, they haven't got a great PR team like some groups do (lick, lick) :D

Talking of exchanges - is there anywhere to get a map with all or even some of the exchanges shown on it? I haven't a clue abou the specifics of the irish phone system, I really should learn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by seamus
    Talking of exchanges - is there anywhere to get a map with all or even some of the exchanges shown on it? I haven't a clue abou the specifics of the irish phone system, I really should learn :)

Hehe, I was asking the same kind of question last night in this thread.

Are we all planning on going into the ADSL business? :D

Advertisement