Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another new tech coming to Ireland by 2250

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Looks like BT are a major force behind this new technology, and I wonder if that means Esat might roll it out across the Republic of Ireland if the tests in the UK prove successfull?

On a related note, what's happening with the IrelandOffline WAN? I haven't really heard much about it lately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Looks like BT are a major force behind this new technology, and I wonder if that means Esat might roll it out across the Republic of Ireland if the tests in the UK prove successfull?

*snort* If the anti-competitive - if not downright greedy - behaviour of everyone involved in the comms market in Ireland is anything to go by, I sincerely doubt it.

On a related note, what's happening with the IrelandOffline WAN? I haven't really heard much about it lately.

You mean IrishWAN? It seems to be progressing quite nicely. The numbers and locations seem to be growing all the time, and I think some basic trials are taking place. Also, the CorkWAN has met with the ODTR to try and clarify some stuff and generally introduce themselves. The ODTR has been very helpful, by all accounts. I reckon the next major step for the groups is to get some proper links up-and-running and to try and negotiate some bandwidth.

adam

Advertisement