Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win2k/nt network printing

• 22-11-2001 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

i have a network with 7 workstations.
    the workstations all run win2k. sp2
    the server runs nt4.
    printer will install on server.
    printer will install on workstations.
    however, i cannot use the server as a print server. when i direct a system to the printer it will connect, but when i try to print it tells me there is no connection.
    however, if i direct a system to another workstation, it will happily connect up and print for me.

WHY?

i dont want to have one workstation as a print server.
    any ideas.
    the printer is installed as a network printer using jetadmin by the way and will install on any system. however i really want it to stay on the server and be able to just add systems to that printer as needs be instead of the whole rigmarole of adding the printer to each workstation yadda yadda yadda. you know what i mean!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Why don't ya just set it up in a peer to peer environment, leave out the jetadmin, share it out n map too it... not fancy but effective :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

however, i cannot use the server as a print server. when i direct a system to the printer it will connect, but when i try to print it tells me there is no connection.
    however, if i direct a system to another workstation, it will happily connect up and print for me.

it is set up as a peer to peer.
    it wont work from the server.
    the company is paying my company an horrendous amount of money to get to have a lan set up and they would like to print from the server. which means i have to get it working. i have tried with and without jetadmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I had a almost similar problem with 95 clients on an NT4 server.

I used another hp-utility, not jetadmin, but directport, (or something named very similarly), and it workid fine. Never did work out why.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Eamo have you made sure that the ports are right on the stations and server? Also the IP address aren't in confilct with any other systems?

beond that, make sure the printers are set to be shared and the users have access to the printers. (IE: The server is using local user accounts, different to the domain) or if theres no Domain server maker sure the same accouts are set up on the servers as the users log on with.

PS....win95 can have problems printing from a server if the names over 16 chaters long (spaces as well) IE: //printserver/HPlaserjet4050n

the progam Xterminator used, if I remember right from some research I done on this when I couldn't get 95 laptops printing on the network to some of the printers. It makes a local printer, but instead of using a comms port it uses a IP address (fools the computer to thinking its on the local comp) however if I remember right, this will by-pass the print server. (so there is no back-office controle over what is being printed)

But from what you've said it sounds like a user account prob. In my old place we had a printer that would only let Administator accounts print to it.

Originally posted by sutty
    Eamo have you made sure that the ports are right on the stations and server? Also the IP address aren't in confilct with any other systems?

ports are right. also everything is on dhcp server so ip address's shouldnt be a problem. printer ip's are in reserved scopes so they wont be used.
    beond that, make sure the printers are set to be shared and the users have access to the printers. (IE: The server is using local user accounts, different to the domain) or if theres no Domain server maker sure the same accouts are set up on the servers as the users log on with.

hmmm, local account on the server eh?
    not too sure what account is being used. i know its admin, but not sure if its admin in domain or local admin. surely it wouldnt make a difference?

PS....win95 can have problems printing from a server if the names over 16 chaters long (spaces as well) IE: //printserver/HPlaserjet4050n

but 2k and nt shouldnt have that problem. i do say shouldnt :)
    the progam Xterminator used, if I remember right from some research I done on this when I couldn't get 95 laptops printing on the network to some of the printers. It makes a local printer, but instead of using a comms port it uses a IP address (fools the computer to thinking its on the local comp) however if I remember right, this will by-pass the print server. (so there is no back-office controle over what is being printed)

i have tried with local address' and ipi address'. confused :)

But from what you've said it sounds like a user account prob. In my old place we had a printer that would only let Administator accounts print to it.

will get it checked out.
    cheers.

but ive asked about 3 people and they all gave me the same answer which was, oh, its probably justthat nt and win2k really dont like each other :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Right I had the same problem as you.
    I'm using Win2K Server and multiple Win2K prof clients with some NT boxes and a HP 4550N with JetAdmin with DHCP enabled.

1: Make sure the printer name < 16 chars
    2: Turn OFF the DHCP option on the printer
    3: Allocate a static IP address to the printer and reserve it on the Win2K server

Reinstall your printer driver and away you go

BTW make sure that you are using a static IP address for your DHCP/DC server.

If you have any problems post back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

but ive asked about 3 people and they all gave me the same answer which was, oh, its probably justthat nt and win2k really dont like each other :)

Thats 3 very foolish people. Win2k (as we all know) is based on NT, if it was the other way around, then I'd say maybe.....but there win2k stations connecting to a NT server right?

Oh....er.......what SP is the server running?

Originally posted by amen
    Right I had the same problem as you.
    I'm using Win2K Server and multiple Win2K prof clients with some NT boxes and a HP 4550N with JetAdmin with DHCP enabled.

1: Make sure the printer name < 16 chars
    2: Turn OFF the DHCP option on the printer
    3: Allocate a static IP address to the printer and reserve it on the Win2K server

Reinstall your printer driver and away you go

BTW make sure that you are using a static IP address for your DHCP/DC server.

If you have any problems post back

printers are already static.
    its an nt server, workstations are win2k
    :(

sutty, 2 of the three people earn more in one month than i do in 5 months doing network admin, so i gues they kind of know what they are talking about :)
    but it is true. there are quiet a lot of bugs that make nt and win2k incompatible sometimes. most of the time its absolutely fine, but sometimes there are issues.
    as for service pack i have no idea. i assume its 6a. or whatever the highest for servers is?
    not that it matters, ive talked them round to useing the workstation as a print server and they are now hapy with this.
    now my problem is mcafee being a useless load of crap and buggering up systems. god i hate this stupid app.
    i have never seen it work properly on any system. anywhere. ever. part 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Norton Anti Virus Corporate ed. all the way baby.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

sutty, 2 of the three people earn more in one month than i do in 5 months doing network admin, so i gues they kind of know what they are talking about :)

If they knew what they were talking about they could tell you more than 'they don't like each other'...:).

• Advertisement
Advertisement