Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best mobile out now?

• 22-11-2001 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good mobile phone? My parents want to get my older brother a quality bit of kit for x-mas and I've been given the job of picking one out. I know sweet **** all about phones so I thought I'd ask ye. The more gadgets the phone has the better. The price range would be in the 100-200 mark but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Thorbar1
    Does anyone have any suggestions on a good mobile phone? My parents want to get my older brother a quality bit of kit for x-mas and I've been given the job of picking one out. I know sweet **** all about phones so I thought I'd ask ye. The more gadgets the phone has the better. The price range would be in the 100-200 mark but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

If you are looking for a phone with gadgets, try the Ericsson R380. It is quite pricey, but you have the best WAP around (apart from the Nokia communicator,of course), e-mail, calendar and lots of other goodies. It looks like a normal phone (even though it is a little bulky), but the keypad flips down to reveal a large touchscreen that is used to write on. It makes sending SMS a hell of a lot quicker and sending e-mails is a dream.

As he dons his fire-retardant suit...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

bill pay or prepaid?
    if u are getting a bill phone - t39 by ericsson rocks
    its got everything & its v.small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wouldn't say go for an ericsson. From my experience, they are slow and break easy, and besides ericsson are pulling out of the mobile phone market, 'cos they're crap at it, and concentrating on the actual networks, where they own everyone :)

I see phones like OS's:

Motorola: The Unix of the moby world. Basic, but very stable and customisable, and will last you forever. No games(mostly)

Nokia: Windoz. Looks fancy and seems to have tonnes of extra features, but in the end they're just games, and padding. Break down every 40 hrs talking time

ericsson: MAC OS. Seems good and strong, but goes even slower than the nokias and doesn't even have most of the extra features. Breaks down.

All others: minority OS's. Nearly nobody owns them, and so they cost an arm and a leg.

laugh at me if you will, but this helps me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

A mate of mine has the Ericsson R380. Beautiful phone.

BUT, as I have always maintained since Motorola first brought out their "flip" phones.....anything with a hinge will break sooner. Especially bad with the R380, since the hinge contains a switch for changing from phone to PDA mode. I've already seen it be a bit jippy on a 2-month-old phone.

Personally, I'm a Nokia man myself, but I would have to strongly recommend the Siemens ME45, or perhaps the SL45 (same phone as the ME but with built-in MP3 player) or the SLX45 which has a PDA built in.

A cow-orker (or co-worker, take your pick) has the ME-45, and I must say I think its a lovely piece of kit...I just hate the Siemens menus. Sturdy, solid, highly functional. Well worth considering.

There you go. Some thoughts.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Thanks for the replies lads should help with picking out a decent gift for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Interesting and remarkbly true analogies Seamus:)

So thats a laugh w/ you not @ you;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by seamus
    I wouldn't say go for an ericsson. From my experience, they are slow and break easy, and besides ericsson are pulling out of the mobile phone market, 'cos they're crap at it, and concentrating on the actual networks, where they own everyone :)
    looks at his mobile hasent broken down and is 3 years old . tis my backup one though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

A Nokia 9210 is a very nice way to say "I love me ...err you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

If I was getting a phone now, I'd get the Panasonic GD-93. Sod games, it's a phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Right -
    here is a list of the phones i have owned in the last 3 years

Ericsson A1018s -
    pro 's
    very solid (read NIGHTSTICK)
    nice easy logical interface
    long battery life 4.5 days standby (actual)
    lowish sar

con's
    as with most ericssons the battery the battery is badly
    clipped onto the back of the phone (will fall off if dropped)
    bad headset socket (easily dislodged)
    volume bit low

Nokia 5110
    pro's
    beautiful build
    long battery
    good sound quality

con's
    bit big
    some people hate the nokia interface (i don't mind)

Phillips Savvy (first edition)
    pro's
    battery (6 days!!! with no calls (actual)
    sound quality

con's
    it looks like a sex aid
    it feels like a sex aid
    it's got sex aid written on the back
    (one of the above is untrue...)
    high sar 1.11 w/kg

Motorola Startac 70
    pro's
    small
    light
    very low sar (0.02 w/kg!)

con's
    cheap plasticky build
    motorola interface (someones said it was like unix, it is)

Siemens c35i
    pro's
    wap (wap was free all last january!, wap p0rn is awful,
    wap d0nkey p0rn is criminal!!!)
    very good build (same on all siemens)

con's
    the f***ing interface (same on most siemens), totally illogical
    transmitted sound bit dodgy
    highest SAR of any phone available 1.45w/kg (just within legal limit! 1.6w/kg),
    you can use it to warm up the dinner!!!

Nokia 8850
    pro's
    makes you look like a drug dealer (nobody will mess with you..)
    lowest sar available in ireland (0.24 w/kg)
    metal body
    high sound quality
    infra-red w. 9.6k modem

con's
    screen scratches easily
    you will get mugged when they find out your not dealing

for info on SAR see below
    http://www.sardata.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement