Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Not working for some reason-HAAAA!!

• 22-11-2001 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Panic Stations.....:eek:

I haven't been able to connect to the www @ home for the last 3 days and the I'm dumbfounded as to the problem.

Basically my modem is working fine- no yellow ? or ! in the device manager- but once I dial up I'm downloading no data.

With whatever ISP I'm using the, I dial up, it goes thro the password and then has a conection speed-ie 42,000,bps but then thats it. It wont open up any pages @ all!!?? The downstream data figure has gone over a few hindred bits even if I send as many page requests as possible.

So does anyone have any ideas.
    I called eircom & the IOL but there has been no probs or faultsand the fact I connect @ usually 42kbps makes me think there maybe sommit wrong w/ the modem- but that dosen't seem obviously apparent.

Are there any settings that I should tinker w/ on the modem settings (its a 56k v.90 BTW) or anything else.

So if anyone has any bright ideas could they please contribute (Just a reminder I'm not at my machine currently:(, I'm in college)

80p signing off from his current information vacumn:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Have you tried

. Creating a new DUN connection (because Windows likes to break itself periodically...)
    . Testing the line/socket you're using with a phone
    . Pinging IPs once you get connected

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Beaver

Thx but..........

SWOOOOOSSSSHHHH

Way over my head. these sound like good diagnostics but you'll have tell me how to do them!

The line socket is working- bcos I tested a phone on it and also I'm able to dial up and connect- Its just that I cant d/l any data after that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Does it stop moving data alltogether after a few bytes?

A neighbour of mine had a problem like that. he was using a cheapo shít HCF (pure winmodem) card. Think he was on a DACS line too, like me.
    DACS is a thing Eircom (and other companies) use to split the bandwidth of a phone line to allow two numbers on it. Can't get more the 31200bps, and no hope of ADSL cos it takes a bit of frequency overhead with it too, right in the range tha tADSL uses afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When all else fails uninstall the drivers and power down
    take out the card boot up, power down and start fresh, there's no reason why this should work but hey you never know!

BTW I'm being half-serious here, also do you have an old modem
    card lying about, try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Same thing has happened to me a coupla times over the past year.

If you're using ZoneAlarm-Firewall, uninstall it. That solved my problem one of the times. The other 2 times I dunno wtf was wrong and ended up formatting after trying *everything* including uninstalling/reinstalling the PCI Bus AND buying a new modem.

It's a major bitch. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

DUN is Dial-Up Networking... just create a new connection to the Internet.

As for pinging IPs... it sounds vaguely like you could be having a problem with your DNS. Just to confirm, call EircomNet (or whoever) and get them to verify their nameservers to you, then fill them in under your TCP/IP network settings.

As someone else mentioned, you might have some luck with just reinstalling the modem.

As PiE said this is a major bitch.

I called up Gateway techie support neway and they gave me the usual....No yellow ? in device manager, then call your ISP. But I spoke to this guy whos command of english wasn't great so I might give that another go.

As for Mikes / Beavers suggestion to uninstall my modem, how should I go about that??
    Control Panel/ add/remove hardware, then reboot and then see if it detects new hardware??

The big prob is if I need new drivers I cant even connect to the flippin net to d/l them....URRRRHHH!!!

I'll give the ISP's another shot as well. I'm still on No-Limits so I have some techie support thats not goin to cost an arm and a leg in Phone Bills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think it's a nolimits prob. I was using it on Sunday in my mates' house and it kept doing that. I'd get maybe 30 secs of working connection and then it would just stop, and we'd have to disconnect and try again.

No its happennning w/ all ISP's :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 [-=DeathLord=-]

30 seconds on nolimits without being disconnected? That's actually relatively good.

• Advertisement

OK guys I've 30 mins before I head home from college before I'm left in an Information wilderness for the weekend so....

Please fire more suggesstions @ me Quickly

I might have to come into college over the weekend:eek: otherwise

Hi 80p

A collage age kid who can't rip out and re-fit a modem card?
    Tut-tut! ;)

If you are able to read this then its very strightfoward(!),
    first uninstall the drivers using the Control Panel click
    System then device manager and click modem and then
    remove.

Power down, open up the case and remove the card.

Power up and check the device manager just to see
    if the drivers have really gone!

Power down and refit the card, power up and then follow
    the on screen instructions, usually windows will detect the card
    and install drivers automatically but be ready with modem driver disk anyway (and copy of Windows just in case it should ask, which is unlikely)

The reason I suggest taking out the card and booting up then down is that sometimes a PC will not recognise the presence of the card after the drivers have been removed.

My way you can be sure.
    (I should be charging for this!)
    Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

80p , its a long shot, but this sounds like the old winsock2 ie5 problem, did you update ie recently?

This won't hurt you're pc , and perhaps may fix it..

(assuming here you dont need baby feeding)
    1) Empty your network box in control panel..say no to reboot when you click okay
    2)Regedit-->>delete "my computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2 -->>>note the winsock2!!! folder (not winsock)
    3)Close the registry editer
    4)Open up the network box and add back in what you removed earlier-->>Important, when you click OK, you may get a message about "a file being copied~~~"say NO to keeping the existing one.
    5)Say yes to rebooting this time.

This is an auld tech support fix (ie5 was HELL, with capital letters when it came out..this fix was eventually arrived at). When winme came out it was the same problem (ie exactly as you describe)..and the same fix worked.

May not do the trick 80p, but will not fupp up yer pc , so is worth a try.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

\o/

Dont ask me WTF happened but this morning, I decided just to do some cleaning up. I booted up in safe mode and then ran system maintenance- the usual scan disk, defrag and cleanup. Then rebooted.

In the interveining period, hop in the shower ready to head off to UCD. Then just gave it a quick try to see if anything would happen and hey presto.....like a rocket:)

I'M BACK BABY, I'M BACK !!!!

Thx to everyone and their suggestions.

BTW Mike Hardware is not my forté- I'm too over cautious when it comes to opening up the box etc. so I generally leave that to the experts:)

Neway thx again:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

hey 80p I used to be like that, but if you just open the box and have a look inside and just examine the hardware, their is abolutely no damage you can do, and then it becomes less daunting, I am still cautious though, its an expensive bit of kit not to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Baz_
    , their is abolutely no damage you can do, and then it becomes less daunting, I am still cautious though, its an expensive bit of kit not to be.

Whoa!!:eek: Anti-static yourself or leave the comp plugged in(but turned off :)) otherwise there is plenty of damage you can do. Oh and you'd be better off having clean, dry hands, but you'd cop that anyway. :)

Originally posted by 80project
    \o/

Dont ask me WTF happened but this morning, I decided just to do some cleaning up. I booted up in safe mode and then ran system maintenance- the usual scan disk, defrag and cleanup. Then rebooted.

In the interveining period, hop in the shower ready to head off to UCD. Then just gave it a quick try to see if anything would happen and hey presto.....like a rocket:)

BTW Mike Hardware is not my forté

All of which proves that Windows software is completly
    unpredictable and irrational. I'll happily wield screwdriver
    and soldering iron but tackling software is where I call
    the experts (after I've made everything 10X worse of course!)

Mike.

BTW 80p how did you put the circumflex over the e in forte?

Originally posted by mike65

All of which proves that Windows software is completly
    unpredictable and irrational

No argument there;)
    I'll happily wield screwdriver
    and soldering iron but tackling software is where I call
    the experts (after I've made everything 10X worse of course!)

I seem to be the opposite. Although you can really screw up your pooter w/ messing around w/ windows and other software, I've heard of alot more ppl opening up the box and ruining things

BTW 80p how did you put the circumflex over the e in forte?

Hold down Alt Gr and then press e...
    é like so:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

é = Alt Gr + e

Same goes for all the vowels.

For a full list of special characters open up

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Sys Tools -> Character Map.

That'll give u the Alt codes ie. Alt + 0176 = °

Hey, it's my 500th post. 'Bout time I posted something usefull :)

Advertisement