Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL Trials Appear To Be On Again

Options
  • 22-11-2001 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Just received a letter today (inluding some flash cd-rom) extolling the virtues of ADSL and it also stated that they would like to offer me a trial. I rang the number and was accepted after the line check and i'll be upgraded on the 6th of December.

They also stated that the trial will last a minimum of eight weeks. This is bizarre because I never heard that they were starting another trial. Did anyone else get this letter?

BTW, I live in the Sandymount/Ballsbridge area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

I've just confirmed a Thursday 6th Appointment in the Coombe (out of the Dolphins Barn Xchange)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

What did you say that number was? :D
    I wouldn't mind a couple of months of ADSL.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

NUmber is 1800-20-22-75

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

rang number and im living on lower mount street they said that my number wasn't able to trial

where is the nearest excnage from here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Yeah, got a call from a friend of mine Living in Sandymount and he told me eirconn rang him up to see if they could interest him in "hi-speed".
    he told em no.
    they asked why not.
    he said cause i want dsl.
    they said grand do you want to take a 3 month trial period, they'll provide everything and charge nothing. :eek:
    he said he would so.

he also said that even at the end of the 3 months if he didn't want to continue, cause of the £98/month fee, he'd still get to keep the modem. (but he's prone to hyberbolae :rolleyes: )

i rang em but i'm in blackrock and the exchange aint upgraded.
    the bastids.

i also asked em about using 3rd party modems and yer man said only the one they provide will work with i-scream......dodgy....very suspect....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, looks like Eircom have decided they'd better start rolling it out anyway or they're going to be in trouble... :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I called them and the exchange is upgraded but he said the line was degregated :mad: but there was loads of eircom vans around here the other week i dont know what they were doin but the could of fixed the line while they were at it.

Question: Could the line Degreation be internal cause the Phones in this House are done Arse ways or could i get a new line in for it that would not be degregated?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

yeah..

i just rang them too

he asked me if i had received the litreature in the mail "eh...yeah.. its.. eh.. here somewhere" i replied

basically he said i wasnt able to get it (i live on parnell street in dublin 1)

/me is shattered

he said that there was some problem with the "north main line" or something and that i couldnt get it.. and that i might be able to get it sometime next year (depending on when eircom can fix/isolate the fault in question) he also said that eircom were using this time (until late january) to keep the technology in use...

basically im gutted.. so im off to tap my fingers and wait for ntl to get its act together..

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

going to ring them again tomorrow they said same to me that could be up to half way through next year until they can find out what problem is as i got a red light ?? not a green 1 and they and they cant find out what is till later next year

going to have to order isdn tomorrow
    its depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pimp

just phoned them as well,

they are looking for people on shankill exchange..... but my line test failed(**** i'm depressed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Heh, looks like Eircom have decided they'd better start rolling it out anyway or they're going to be in trouble... :)

adam

Good point, adam. Maybe, just maybe, someone in Eircom has copped on and realised that they are going to loose the battle with the ODTR in the long run and are going to be forced to introduce ADSL at more reasonable prices in the future anyway, whether they like it or not.

Perhaps this is a sign of things to come. I hope so but, then again, I'm not getting my hopes up too much as this IS Eircom we are talking about after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Just rang them - I passed the pre-qual. Thery're to ring me back before 5.00pm with an appointment to install. I'm in!!! - Summerhill exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Just rang them and am on the trial Drumcondra/Phibsboro exchange.

I have two weeks to store up brownie points with the Girlfriend before I mind melt with the web.

It's funny that they are not releasing the monthly charge of of the product yet.

What are the odds on the trial not going ahead because of Eircoms dealings with the ODTR.

One of the guys in here you previously tried to get ISDN but couldn't because of a bad line just also got accepted. What's with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just rang them ...

Dundrum Exchange is being tested. My phone line also just passed the 'whoosh' test thingy.

Incidentally ... Ballinteer is feeding into the Dundrum Exchange for those who are unsure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

my exchange is being put on the trials, but my line failed :(:(
    It will take 5 to 6 weeks to get another phone line installed :( and even then, that one might fail the test iswell ???? after paying the £100 quid for the new line ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

just rang, southern crossroute in bray is out of range ( i reckon this is bull****, i'd say he knew i was chancing my arm, ah well guess i'll have to wait another 100 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

but my telephone line seems not to be up to the ADSL standard. its kinda weird cause they installed a brand new line 2 months ago. :confused: must be the exchange itself.

if anyone from swords gets the go-ahead for the trial can you mail me please so i can see what the story is.

the person on the phone also mentioned xDSL to me which is also weird cause i never heard Eircom was interested in that form of DSL :confused: whay dont they ever make sense ? :p

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Sounds like we're in too...as long as the line isn't degraded (down on knees.....). Info from nice ADSL woman on phone:

30 exchanges in Dublin are enabled
    Need Win95, 98, 2000 (I said that we'll probably use a Linux box on it, and we'd set that part up. She seemed to have no problem with that).
    At least 32MB RAM
    At least 150MB free space

Ethernet/USB is a choice

I'm trying to talk to 1901 to find out where my exchange is and how far I am. Second phone call now (the first woman gave me the engineer for our area's phone number, which didn't connect, so I'm trying again).

Got the engineer's mobile number (no, I'm not going to give it out! :-) ), and he says our exchange is on Patrick St. in Dun Laoghaire itself, so we're set hopefully. More details later!!!

Keep fingers crossed for us!

E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 megavolt

I just rang Eircom for the sake of it but was told I'm too far from the exchange. :(
    They do seem to be fairly interested in getting people setup for trials as he did do a proper check on my house.

Pity I'm too far, maybe NTL will be coming my way soon :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 megavolt

I just rang Eircom for the sake of it but was told I'm too far from the exchange. :(
    They do seem to be fairly interested in getting people setup for trials as he did do a proper check on my house.

Pity I'm too far, maybe NTL will be coming my way soon :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

We should try to get a list of enabled/not enabled exchanges up here for tracking.

Whitehall exchange isn't upgraded :(

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Just off the phone to them.

I'm near mountjoy square, summerhill exchange, and my line passed muster.
    I mentioned I had a number of boxes (home office) and they asked did I want the multiple node modem instead of a single connection one. Doing so seems to have added a bit of delay since they are having some techie issues with those setups at the mo', but I figured it was worth doing. (I do have an airport network set up for all my macs though, so I'm not so sure now).

As mentioned, nice woman on the line. Rosemary.

They set up an eircom.net mail account for you if you don't already have one ( I didn't).

I won't be paying eircom's prices for dsl in this lifetime, but a couple of months gifthorse is most welcome:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 solitas

no joy in the merrion exchange :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Cool, so far we have

Enabled Exchanges
    summerhill exchange
    drumcondra/Phibsboro exchange
    shankill Exchange
    Dun Laoghaire exchange
    Clontarf Exchange
    Custom House Square Exchange (IFSC)
    Lucan Exchange
    merrion
    Belcamp Exchange

Disabled Exchanges / Pre-trialled
    whitehall exchange - will not be upgraded for some time.
    swords
    Problems for anyone on the north main line
    Rathmines Exchange
    Leixlip Exchange
    Blackrock Exchange
    FOXROCK
    blanchardstown

Unsure - Waiting for confirmation
    Dundrum Exchange

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by Lemming
    Just rang them ...

Dundrum Exchange is being tested. My phone line also just passed the 'whoosh' test thingy.

Incidentally ... Ballinteer is feeding into the Dundrum Exchange for those who are unsure :)

Just rang them and Dundrum Exchange is not part of this trial at the moment (according to the person I got thru to).

(I live in Ballinteer as well)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Put the Dun Laoghaire exchange on that list as well. I'm currently waiting for a callback to tell me if my line is crap or not.

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

Anybody think it's worth a call from Cork?

Just to let them know that more the majority of people are outside the pale.... :)

Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

Rathmines is not enabled. (It was on the last trial and they are enabling different exchanges).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by gandalf

Just rang them and Dundrum Exchange is not part of this trial at the moment (according to the person I got thru to).

(I live in Ballinteer as well)

Gandalf.

If that's true ... AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
    :mad:

But they were gonna see about an appointment date to get the trial thingy all sorted out, so its possible you got someone who didn't know what was going on. Of course ... I might have gotten the other endof the stick, but I don't think so, cause the girl on the other end checked the house details, line-test, etc , etc took my home email account details, contact, etc ,etc. and then mentioned about getting back to me shortly about that appointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Just Phoned...

I live in Drumcondra, but am on the Whitehall exchange. Whitehall is not dsl ready and will not be upgraded for some time.

Vex.

Advertisement