Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL Trials Appear To Be On Again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 electroshock

I live in Skerries and the exchange hasn't been upgraded. They guy on the phone said it would be the turn of the year before it is upgraded.

Quick question: Even if the exchange isn't upgraded can they still run the line test?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Kappar it should do, but believe it or not ive two phone lines and i found out today, one goes to clontarf and the other to summerhill haaa

electroshock, no they wont, but you used to be able to buy a kit that would test the quailty of your phone line from cisco.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ekehoe: could ya do me a favour.

Could ya ask the engineer if the Dun Laoghaire auxilary exchange has been upgraded yet (wasnt last time it was 'supposed' to be out). Ive tried ringing em but the 2 times ive tried was busy and other time it rang out. bah@that.

ill keep tryin tho :p

ffs. whats an auxilary exchange!! :p and more importantly wtf am i on it ;)

ne ways ta if u see the engineer before i get through.

BK

id imagine its a temp overflow exchange from the main one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Right cheers
    ill keep tryin , bound t get through since no one else is havin this prob :p

i got a feeling im still stuck on this temp exchange :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Right, here's what I've gathered...I rang Eircom just now.

Glasenevin North is my parents house the fella tested that first...it's connected to the Santry exchange and he said that WASN'T upgraded yet...k?

After that, he asked had I received a letter...I mumbled the same thing as I heard on here "ugh...yeah...it's somewhere around here" and he really saw right through it.

Then I asked about my own house in Ballymun *blush* and basically what he told me was that that was connected to the Finglas exchange and it WAS updated and some exchanges weren't upgraded and that was it really. He just said bye...

But that makes no real sense? He told me the line worked etc...then hung up? Grrrr...I think I'll call back tomorrow.

By the way...Santry upgrade is scheduled for Christmas .

Cheers for the info NoelRock, there is hope for us yet :D

you could allways get a secound line and request it off the main exchange, might not be enough to get you on the trial but maybe for when they roll out adsl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by El_MUERkO

Cheers for the info NoelRock, there is hope for us yet :D

No problem of course, and yeah there is definitely a sense of rejuvenated hope amongst us it seems.

Is that line open on Saturday, does anyone know? (I want to catch this nice Rosemary person :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Telgere
    rang number and im living on lower mount street they said that my number wasn't able to trial

where is the nearest excnage from here ?

Merrion Exchange is off Upper Merrion Street (behind Dunloe Hall Apartments). It's unlikely that you would be on Beggar's Bush Exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

A good bunch of ye don't seem to know how the DSL is implemented. I won't pretend to know it either, but here's a quick run down.

1.Uses a higher frequency range above that used for normal anologue voice calls, hence why you can dial ordianry numbers whil being online 24/7, and why a splitter box is needed to separate the frequancies.

2. Does not, repeat, DOES NOT work on ISDN lines. Jut doesn't. Different technology. xDSl is for POTS, Plain Old Telephone System

3. One reason I can think of why alot of ppl with brand new lines are failing the test is cos they don't actualll yhave 'whole' new lines, merely a half of another one, even half of their own line if they got a second 'one' "installed".
    Eircom and other telcos do this on PSTN lines using a DACS box.
    I ahve one on my own pole. Limits modem speeds to a max of 31200bps, effectively halfing the connect speed. It is comonly called a 'line-splitter' for this reason.
    The controller used to do the splitting takes up an band of frequency which xDSl uses, hence why you can't get it if you ahve one of these 'lines'.
    It's a bi4tch, more-so cos it's widespread and Eircom sure as fluck don't advertise it. Cheap basterds still charge full feckin price for the line rental too.

I live 8 miles outside Galway.
    Shugger and Shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

This sounds fantastic for all you Dublin peeps , but wot about this poor ol' cork soul??

A net veteran who was introduced to the net as a pioneering user in 1993 when www woz text based !! hehe

But where has it got me ??? feck all I tell ya!

Please has ne1 got ne news on ADSL in the Cork City area as its drivin me nutz!! hehe

thanks for the help :)

carbsy.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 JANER

i am in dominick st dublin 1
    less than 1 mile from summerhill exchange.....but line is shyte
    i am isdn and got in a "normal" line as well at a cost at over a ton....what a waste of fvcking money....but tbh i wasn't really expecting much from the shyte pots!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Syxpac, I dont think the use of DACS boxes is as widespread in Dublin as it is outside dublin, could be wrong tho.

As far as areas outside Dublin goes, Eircom said they would upgrade the major cities once most of Dublin was done and gave a vague "within the year" type of statement (to me anyway). In fairness to them, they have upgraded these new exchanges when they said they would, so they might come through for cork ppl soon :) We know at least one exchange is limerick is upgraded anyway as Esat are trialling there.

Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak
    A good bunch of ye don't seem to know how the DSL is implemented. I won't pretend to know it either, but here's a quick run down.

1.Uses a higher frequency range above that used for normal anologue voice calls, hence why you can dial ordianry numbers whil being online 24/7, and why a splitter box is needed to separate the frequancies.

2. Does not, repeat, DOES NOT work on ISDN lines. Jut doesn't. Different technology. xDSl is for POTS, Plain Old Telephone System

3. One reason I can think of why alot of ppl with brand new lines are failing the test is cos they don't actualll yhave 'whole' new lines, merely a half of another one, even half of their own line if they got a second 'one' "installed".
    Eircom and other telcos do this on PSTN lines using a DACS box.
    I ahve one on my own pole. Limits modem speeds to a max of 31200bps, effectively halfing the connect speed. It is comonly called a 'line-splitter' for this reason.
    The controller used to do the splitting takes up an band of frequency which xDSl uses, hence why you can't get it if you ahve one of these 'lines'.
    It's a bi4tch, more-so cos it's widespread and Eircom sure as fluck don't advertise it. Cheap basterds still charge full feckin price for the line rental too.

I live 8 miles outside Galway.
    Shugger and Shíte.

I find this insulting, to presume we don't know what were talking about is balox.
    second what your talking is about 40% correct.
    you can get ADSL on a ISDN line but not with the variant eircom mare using.

Second news lines mean nothing, sometimes your new phone line is connected to a different exchange to the first, which could be several miles away.

the copper used in the line might just be site.

aluminum or some other not copper metal may be used somewhere along the new line. BT are bastards for this, id imagine eircom are to.

and last, the engineer could be a total cowboy and fail to have put your details into the main system, this is usually fixed in a few months.

its amazing when you start to ring eircom you find out just how bad your line is

OK, I rang eircom again...here's what I got this time...

Nice guy called John-Paul on the phone...answered straight away...no hold at all...and told me that.

My line (Ballymun) is indeed capable of aDSL...he asked is it for business or residential use...I said business...and that's where I messed up...it's available for residential trials there right now...and business in January --_--...

Any quick advice? I said "Both, but mainly business". Should I ring back and retract this statement? Or should I wait till tomorrow?

:P He told me to enjoy my weekend...sorry...I suddenly like that guy now...friendliest phone guy I've talked to in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Anyone from the Capel St/Markets Area (Dublin 7) got any info?

Tried to ring a few minutes ago and it rang out 3 times.

Just to continue...I ran downstairs to check my phone bills, and officially I am a residential customer, so hey, I'm within my rights :P I called back.

Someone else answered, I asked was John-Paul still there...sadly he had gone home...no wonder he had wished me a good weekend (hope he has one too ;) ) .

But this new guy tells me the exchange HASN'T been upgraded. (December apparently)

So out of 3 calls I have: 1 definite yes, 1 definite no, and one guy saying yes but then mumbling something about some exchanges not being upgraded and then saying "and well, that's it really, bye"

Can anyone give me a definite answer?

PiE...might've been my fault...this guy took a while to do his checks and we just chatted inbetween...anyway, it seemed as though he was alone in the office place. So maybe try again now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I rang at 6pm earlier to downgrade my line from isdn to ordinary pstn(it was upgraded from pstn to isdn in first place 6 mnths ago)
    Apparently Finglas exchange is on dsl trial, so engineer is supposed to downgrade line on Monday, cost £15.76.
    Fingers crossed, my old pstn line passed test 6 mths ago so if it passes, it passes.
    if it don't i'm bak on 56k......no more extortionate bills from eircon(cutting down on bill anyway)
    Deadline for registering your interest for the trial, i was told Fri next( 30th)
    btw friend in Donagmede (mayb Belcamp exchange) is getting installation Dec 10th

Test failures on new lines seems to be because a DACs box is used to split new lines got over past couple years r so, typical eircon.

Hmmmmm...this is where my problem arises...the Finglas exchange...oh well...only time will tell...in the meantime I'll keep calling until I get some kind of solid "yes" or "no"

Best of luck with the trials by the way Guramok! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Phoned em up and was told Finglas exchange had been upgraded but i was too far from the exchange. Strange considering in living there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak

Seems to be only valid in this country, ADSL does work on ISDN lines in Uk + Germany, ISDN users have converted their lines to ADSL with NO extra cost r hassle.
    Apparently, eircon have to be different, mayb its related to greed i wonder r is there a good technical explanation y they have to be different in this area ?

Originally posted by Dotsie~tmp
    Phoned em up and was told Finglas exchange had been upgraded but i was too far from the exchange. Strange considering in living there.

Heh...freaky eh? I'm in Ballymun and I'm told by two of three people the Finglas exchange will work for me...odd to say the least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

To settle the argument, yes, it's technically possible to get ADSL over an ISDN-enabled line, but it's a recent development and not widely available. And it's certainly not available in Ireland.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Moved apartment recently (used to be on North Main) and wondered if i was now on the Summerhill exchange which others said appears to be valid for the trail.

So thinking i'm a right cute hóar i call repairs..and say, opps i called the wrong number but could they tell me what exchange im on (these guys do repairs, they must know this stuff i reckon). Yer on the Summerhill exchange alright, OMFG i think, could it be possible!!
    So with trembling fingures i call the adsl trial number, talk to a nice lady who says that yes i am in the trial area, but i'm on the North Main exchange (aggghhh)..and she needs to test my line first before signing me up....cold sweat running down back ..

Calling from work, but she says she can test the line without me using it..it FAILED....i almost wept with the frustration...i kid you not..so if it is rolled out...i'm not going to get it anyway..agghhh

Please someone tell me the line test failed because the phone point is at present connected to a 30 foot extension cable into my pc??? and not a phone that will ring etc???!! Please tell me its beause of that...please :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by Longfield
    Please someone tell me the line test failed because the phone point is at present connected to a 30 foot extension cable into my pc??? and not a phone that will ring etc???!! Please tell me its beause of that...please :(

Longfield, I dont think it is because of that because I have a 50 foot cable going from downstairs to my PC upstairs and I passed the test.

Just out of curiosity, who else got the letter inviting them to trial?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just out of curiosity, who else got the letter inviting them to trial?

Heh, they probably only sent out about twenty. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Bet some big wig in Eircom has a fit when they see this post :)

They've just signed u a bunch of their biggest critics as testers of a service they've been campaining for :)

I'm going to ring again on Monday to ask about the the Santry/Glasnevin North exchange, hopefully thats the route of my problem. If so when it gets upgraded I may have hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

i'd like to see a list of things what might make your line fail the test

i'll start the ball rolling

1. distance from your exchange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by pete
    i'd like to see a list of things what might make your line fail the test

i'll start the ball rolling

1. distance from your exchange

2. if the eircom tester hasnt had a shag the nite b4 from the his missus.

3. if he's late for lunch.

Advertisement