Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL Trials Appear To Be On Again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

i was told my line failed (i live 100m from the exchange) and if i switched from NTL to Eircom it might pass, sound like they're trying to make me swap over? i thought so, i dont mind changing once i can get ADSL my area is on trial atm and a few people around where i live are getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Any equipment connected to the line at your house can cause the test to fail more easily, especially if you're a good bit away from the exchange. You should disconnect everything on your phone line, including any boxes for esat/ntl and you may pass the test then. This is the way it is with the testing in the UK anyway....

Brendan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They've just signed u a bunch of their biggest critics as testers of a service they've been campaining for

Think about what you're saying for a second now El_MUERkO, or at least think about it from Eircom's POV...

i was told my line failed and if i switched from NTL to Eircom it might pass

Unless you have some NTL equipment on your line, that's absolute rubbish. A line is a line, particularly these days when operator preselect is done at the exchange level. In fact, Eircom could be breaking the terms of their licence with that suggestion. If I was you, I'd fire an enquiry off to the ODTR about that.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Our line failed :-(. Flippin' DACS boxes...you can see it all up and down our street.

The woman who told me that we failed (sob!) said that they do different trials in different areas...one trial area was for lines that were "imperfect", and the one for our area is for perfect lines.

FFS, we live in Dun Laoghaire...with all the road work and crap going on around here, NO ONE has a perfect line!!! Anyone else here in DL pass the line test (and where do you live? I'll pop over with my ethernet hub :-) ).

E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by d4r3n
    i was told my line failed (i live 100m from the exchange) and if i switched from NTL to Eircom it might pass
    If you're using the carrier preselect service from NTL, this should not make a difference. Eircom are testing the physical line that runs from the exchange to your house. This does not change when you use a carrier preselect service such as ESAT or NTL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Sounds promising... But I caved under the pressure and got ISDN installed, so... erm, shat!
    Surely they don't expect you to pay £99 to get your ISDN 'downgraded' to POTS? :(
    Bad enough paying £99 to get the crap installed in the first place.

Originally posted by Dead{o}Santa
    Sounds promising... But I caved under the pressure and got ISDN installed, so... erm, shat!
    Surely they don't expect you to pay £99 to get your ISDN 'downgraded' to POTS? :(
    Bad enough paying £99 to get the crap installed in the first place.
    The other option is to get a new analogue line installed for £99. If this fails, then you don't need to spend another £99 to get it upgraded back to ISDN. The disadvantage with this is that this new line may be DACSed, in which case, you've spent £99 for nothing. Eircom have no obligation to supply you with a proper line even if it is required for ADSL.

With the first option i.e. downgrading an existing ISDN line, you are, at least, guarenteed a straight copper pair to the exchange. However, you are liable for another £99 charge if the test fails and you want to upgrade back to ISDN.

You can't beat the phone company, as they say. ;)

Originally posted by ekehoe
    Our line failed :-(. Flippin' DACS boxes...you can see it all up and down our street.
    So, are you currently getting less than 33kbs on dial-up? From what I've read, this is the absolute maximum for a DACS line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rayatron

does any1 know if drimnagh is available for the adsl trials, its beside crumlin :) its dublin 12 . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

you are liable for another £99 charge if the test fails and you want to upgrade back to ISDN.

You can't beat the phone company, as they say. ;)

..and it prolly would fail too :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I remember reading on a site (lagless.com) about how to deal with BT Engineers installing DACS boxes.

Their advice was, to save yourself £99 quid

Ring operator, specifically request a line for data/internet usage.

When the engineer turns up, ask him is he going to split the line or install a DACS box on it. If the answer is yes, tell him not to bother, and save yourself £100.

That's all I can think of to prevent them from ripping you off of £100.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

what the hell does a DAC look like? My phone line comes into my house and is split into 2 lines (1 phone upstairs, 1 downstairs) It was installed by eircom years ago. Is that a DAC ? EVERY time now, I connect to ISP at 31.2 Kbps, no slower, no faster... but my download speeds are usually between 30-43 Kbps.

I've ordered a new phone line for the trials, but how to I persuade eircom not to use DACS on the new line? I swear, if this new line fails iswell, I'll go mental. Only thing I can do now is wait the 6 weeks for the line to be installed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by ando
    what the hell does a DAC look like?

If you just have a phone extension upstairs (ie both phones have the same number and ring at the same time) then its not a DACS box. However, if they are separate phone lines then there might be a DACS box. Most of them are the size of a small shoebox and are either where the line comes into your house, or it could be on a telegraph pole. In that case, your line is shared with a neighbour and it might be DACSed before it even comes into your house :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Add Malahide to the list of exchanges NOT upgraded or available during this ADSL trial.

I just phoned and got the usual guff about not knowing when exchanges would be upgraded, or the content of services, or the state of play with the ODTR or just about anything of use at all... as usual.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

strange, they are not open at the weekend, so how did you jsut ring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by ando
    I've ordered a new phone line for the trials, but how to I persuade eircom not to use DACS on the new line? I swear, if this new line fails iswell, I'll go mental. Only thing I can do now is wait the 6 weeks for the line to be installed :(

Ando, a word of caution.

I read an earlier post on this thread that said the closing date for people to apply for the trials is Nov 30th.

If you're going to have to wait six weeks for your line to be installed, the trial will be half over by then, and you may find yourself out of pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Kappar
    I liv in Ballinteer and I called last Night and the said the line was degregated so NO!:( and today the have no more trials for the Ballayboden Exchange

Did someone tell you that Ballinteer was connected through BallyBoden?? ffs!!! :rolleyes:

someone said eairler that Ballinteer was Dundrum

Yeah .. that was me. Ballinteer's local exchange is DSL enabled (being Dundrum)

hmm the only way you will stop him is if your dear when he comes to install it, tell him you dont wwant a dac version, and unless its not dacs your not paying, test the line by dialing up to the net.

btw you shoudl really read my first post were i said that getting a new line wont get you on the trials, the trials will close around tuesday-wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Damasta,

The fact they've signed up there biggest critis.... I dont think this will go any way to silencing the IoffL massive ;)

It gives people who know the difference between a quality service and an inferior 'eirconeditioned' service.

I'd rather have a few of us trying eircoms aDSL and being able to give a more accurate quote on bandwith useage than someone Eircon chose to be the 'average' user.

PS: if I was supposed to think of something else I blame drink :) Please enlighten me/us :)

Seems to be a lot of people failing the ADSL test. More so than the last time.

• Advertisement

1> If I ring Eircom, I'm in the right area and the test passes, I can sign up for a trial of their ADSL service, right?

If Eircom say you can, you can. It's up to Eircom.

2> Will any new lines/boxes have to be installed? I'm not on ISDN, just standard phone line.

Yes, they have to split the line with a filter, like an ISDN terminal adaptor.

3> I'll have to get a new modem... is their anything else I'll need?

No.

4> What will it all cost me? Since it's a trial I'm wondering if it's free (it seemed to be from one of the first posts on this thread) ..

Eircom can't charge you for the service right now. The Regulator has stalled retail sales of DSL because of (legitimate) concerns with the pricing of the wholesale product. There might be exceptions for the equipment, but I doubt it. If Eircom try to charge you, wait until they install it and then report them to the ODTR. I mean it.

I just can't see how they'd give you a modem and let you keep it?

Again, I'm not sure, but I would presume you won't be charged for the equipment and it will remain the property of Eircom.

Or will they continue the service after the 'trial period' secretly starting to bill me without mentioning it.

No. Like I said, Eircom can't charge you for ADSL at the moment. If they bill you without informing you, they will be breaking the law.

5> What will be the monthly cost of the service when they charge?

We don't know. The price Eircom currently wants to charge is over £100 (£103 I think) per month. Ultimately, they can charge what they want, but the wholesale product has to be cost-oriented, and if the wholesale product is sold at the price the Regulator wants to set, Eircom won't be able to compete with the people who buy wholesale. In the end though, the price could run anywhere between £40 and £100.

HTH,
    adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭TrickyKid

Might well be out of the Dolphin's Barn Xchange, which IS going to be put on trial.

As I said Earlier, My apt on Dean St, in the Coombe passed the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Just rang eircom, Clondalkin is upgraded but my line failed the test. :mad:

Anybody know why some many people's lines are failing tests? I know for a fact that I am only 50-100 meters from the exchange so it cant be the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I just called up and was accepted on the trial. My house is on the Sandyford Road & my address is technically Dundrum, but I'm connected to the Sandyford exchange.

The installation is scheduled for Dec. 19th- I was told it will last for 2 months.

Just a few moot points...
    I think there is a bit of confusion for ppl living in Balinteer. My uncle (ex-€ircom employee) was on the ISDN trials a few years back when they were offering it to employees. He lives in Broadford and is connected to the Ballyboden Exchange. It seems ppl east of Superquinn(Ballinteer Ave.) are in the Dundrum Exchange.

AFAIR, David Long (Dangger-IOffline- Vice-Chairman) told me @ the Seminar that he gets to keep the equip after the trials end!? I think Hudson said sommit about that too. If this is the case does that mean a potential saving re: Installatation and equip when it does eventually become available? Hopefully:)

The other thing is for the 2 months I suppose I'll have to keep paying for No Limits 'cos once I stop paying then theres no chance of getting back on:(
    So anyone who's not on No Limits, take solace that I'll be paying for 2 months of no-use, so you can use my bandwidth and absorb my "75 hours" :p

I suppose a caveat for everyone who does get accepted is to remember that circumstances may change in the next few days when the ODTR / €ircom spat comes before the courts, so dont be suprised if you get a call saying, "NO the trial the trials aren't going ahead".
    Thats me just logically thinking that if they do get the go ahead for a commercial launch very soon, they might lose out on some lolly from potential customers installation and equip fees- ie those of triallists?? Who knows, I aint holding my breath despite the immediate joy!

of course you get the modem to keep, what are eircom going to do with it? they cant by law resell it as new, and everyone going onto eircoms adsl will have to buy one.

80p at that stage ill take eircom to the small claims court as the got me to cut off ntl with the promiss of a place.
    Also i was told 3 motnhs, i dont think those on the first 9 echange trial have been cut off yet.

Keep one thing in mind, when Esat roll out adsl as well, chances are they will use the same modems and the line will be eircoms anyway. so even if your never going to use eircom hold you may still save alot of money on the trial

BTW dahamsta, thats a little incorrect, it they get the USB (i advise against it) then they need nothing else, but if they go for ethernet (the one to get) they will need standard cat 5 cable, and an ethernet card. Eircom will not supply these. I asked!

I suppose a caveat for everyone who does get accepted is to remember that circumstances may change in the next few days when the ODTR / €ircom spat comes before the courts, so dont be suprised if you get a call saying, "NO the trial the trials aren't going ahead".

Afraid not 80p, the court case is in relation to Local Loop Unbundling pricing, and not bitstream. The bitstream pricing problem is being negotiated directly between the ODTR and Eircom, and even if the pricing is agreed tomorrow, Eircom can't roll out a commercial retail product for another six weeks.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger

Ando, a word of caution.

I read an earlier post on this thread that said the closing date for people to apply for the trials is Nov 30th.

thanks for the warning ;) but I'm willing to pay the 100 quid just to have a go at it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Adam:

The sentiment was dont hold your breath when it comes to €ircom promises more so than anything specific. But would not both the LLU and Bitstream pricing issues impact on the commercial plans of €ircom in the near future? Thus possibly leading to a retraction of trial offers??
    I'm speculating I know but all w/in the realms of possibility!

Boston:

Unless you have that written down or have some form of memorandum re: €ircoms promise of a trial then you cant really claim anything in ANY court! Perhaps call them up and ask them for a written letter stating that you have been accepted, if you want any recourse at a future date:)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I just phoned in and was accepted in Brookhaven, Blanchardstown.....

A mate of mine in castleknock however wasn't accepted because his exchange wasnt upgraded.....

For the many of you wondering were brookhaven is - it's near the new IT and beside all the industrial estates on the far side of blanchardstown.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Does anyone know if the Dundrum exchange has already been trialled (for def.)??

Cause I got 2 conflicting answers from I-Scream employees. The 2nd one (the "No" answer) sounded a bit like he was spouting sh*te).

Advertisement