Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modem to modem networking

• 07-06-2000 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm toying with the idea of getting an eircom tie line (standard copper) from my house to my work, and putting modems at both ends for a slow but always-on connection to the internet. The tie line will set me back about £600, but before I splash out I want to know:

1. Anybody have any experience of this sort of thing? How do you get modems to connect if there isn't any sort of dial tone?
    2. Is there a RAS manager for Windows 98 that I can use?
    3. How do I get the damn thing to work, and would it be worth it.

I'm not in an area that's likely to get cable access any time soon, so this is my only choice, unless someone can tell me how to haxor my ISDN line to get x75 traffic routing correctly and pee off eircom.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Eh, if I post to this again, does it get moderated up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

hum.. how far away is your office ?
    could you not get your tie line then get necessary adsl equipment.. ?

mind u , ii'm sure the kit that get's install in the exchange that you would have o buy, would be whopping expensive

Just a FYI on a solution that may be of use to some of you: the cost of a 2mb HDSL link between two of our offices <5 miles apart is:

current costs: £700 for the copper lines (you need two pairs) from eircom, passing through two exchanges. This is the type of connection they give taxi companies in supermarkets.

capital costs: £4,300 for the HDSL stuff from Bull Cara, including 1 router, 2 HDSL 'modems', and £650 for an 'installation day' by engineers. £600 from eircom for setting up the pair of lines.

That is, other than the set up costs, you get 2mb between points for £700 pa!

Forget leased lines, HDSL is available now for remote sites, and it ****ing works. See if you can split costs with those struggling to pay for fat pipes, and screw the ISPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dollar

Will you just make some thing clear for me. You actually have a a straight copper connection between point a and point b ?

I remember reading some thing about how to set that up at one stage can't rember where , basicly the idea is that you have to get a speical modem that can power the line for you as eircom don't.

How hard was it to get the connection of eircom? I thought they didn't like giving them out?

Deregulation being a wonderful thing, they have to give them out now.

I'm talking about straight modem to modem, not ADSL. The equipment costs for ADSL make it prohibitive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement