Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geforce 2 PCI 64mb Tweaking

Options
  • 22-11-2001 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Listen up lads, i got a problem.

I bought a geforce 2 pci 64mb the other day and when i play counter-strike i get 30fps and lower. Like absolute crap.

I have all the latest drivers and i use tweaking programs like NVmax and still no change.

Most of the time i get like 15-20fps.

What is up with that, any idea's anyone?

- Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Gargh. What did I tell you about starting new, near-identical threads? About how annoying it is?

This is better on the tech board for a start.

Second of all, what the hell is your PC spec? For all we know, 30fps could be phenomenal given your hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭linkin

AMD k6-2 550MHz, 256mb ram, 20gig hard drive. And of course the geforce 2 pci 64mb tv out card.

Now tell me i should get more than 20fps(That's what i'm getting now).

I might change it if nobody has a solution.

- Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

With a k6-2-550 you're not going to get good FPS.

I assume you're running it at 1024x768 simply because you have a gf2.

Try running it at 800x600 and see what it gets up to.

Come back with the results.

In this case your cpu is the limiting factor. The graphics can only improve performance to the level that the cpu can work at. K6-2's are a piece of crap.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

1 Question.

Are you running HL/CS in DirectX mode???

If you are you've been ignorant of a thread (on which you actually posted) about DirectX 8.1 where i explained that you should only run HL/CS in OpenGL mode if possible.

Please tell me your'e not running it in DirectX mode.

It's been explained so so so so many flucking times allready. To yourself at least twice I can recall.
    If you want more fps take an interest in what actually gets those fps, do a bit of research, read magazines etc.

[EDIT] Just saw Logics post.
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark here.
    You have a GeForce2 MX200 64Meg
    What version of detonators do you have?
    The only version I reccomend (from personal experience and a GeForce256) are the 12.41s
    I've had nothing but strife over the 21.8xs
    That extra 32 megs of ram will give you a 1fps increase over a 32meg card.
    The PCi is slowng it down too.
    You have integrated graphics, don't you. (rhetorical question :) )
    again stabbing in the dark (this place is getting more like Limerick every day ;) ) I'll guess you have not uninstalled the old drivers or setup the comp properly for the new PCi (instead of the AGP on-board).
    More specific info is needed Linkin.
    Also, overclock it ;) j00 kn0 j00 w4n t00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭joev

Originally posted by linkin
    AMD k6-2 550MHz, 256mb ram, 20gig hard drive. And of course the geforce 2 pci 64mb tv out card.

Now tell me i should get more than 20fps(That's what i'm getting now).

I might change it if nobody has a solution.

- Shane

Probably not.... the PCI bus is slow.

Your CPU is slow (comparative to todays medium-to-high fps Gaming Rigs)

You haven't specified what OS, Driver set etc you're using...

Recommendation: Send the damn thing back for a refund, spend the money on a decent AGP capable motherboard and chip and get yourself an AGP card at a later date. :)

Alternatively, the PCI based VooDoo 5500 outperforms the geforce (at 800x600, which given your CPU, you should be using) and, if you can get your hands on one, is about the same price.

joev.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭linkin

I'll check when i get home, cause i'm in netshop now.

I'll give yeh's the info when i get back, thanks lads :)

- Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

reformat and reinstall from scratch then tell us how the card performs...............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think people are pretty much misunderstanding what this board is about. As justhalf said, this should be on technology, as it involves mainly software tweaking. The line is kind of blurred though, perhaps you could clarify this yellum?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Well my definition of Hardware tweaking would be modifying or 'tweaking' (no shít :)) hardware physically, or using a software app to tweak it ie: overclocking can only be done with software on most graphics cards.

Having problems with graphics drivers is not a hardware tweaking issue imo.

This thread is equally pointless cos there was a near identical thread just below it.

Linkin, you've allready posted on this thing in the CS boards I think.
    The technology boards is where it *might* be relevant.

Also this is kinda common sense.
    Changing a graphics card is not something a system should be doing everyday. The card's drivers kinda expect to be installed in a nice clean OS, without having to deal with bítchin from another set.

You wouldn't invite guests in to sit on a shít stained couch would you? Same idea here.
    A reinstall would be a safe bet, easy to do if you have a form of backup.

If you intend to get higher FPS in games etc. you really actually take a bloody interest in what can be done. You can't expect people to help you with something like this that has been explained time and time again, and really is just a bit of common sense.

Go back to hangin out around the TBMC..... :D

Advertisement