Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyandsell.net to close

Options
  • 22-11-2001 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

http://www.buyandsell.net/?section=isp

> Important news for BuyandSell.net ISP users
    >
    > BuysandSell.net is withdrawing from the ISP (Internet Service Provider)
    > market. This follows from a decision by our former majority shareholder,
    > Scoot.com to discontinue the ISP business as it was not considered to be
    > part of their corporate strategy.
    >
    > We have made arrangements for our dial-up customers with an alternative ISP
    > supplier, UTV Internet, to ensure that you continue to access the Internet
    > and/or use e-mail.
    --snip--

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yikes! I was just writing an article for the National College of Iireland's "Grapevine" magazine, and one of the things I wrote was:

"when it comes to the Internet, when we look at the countries all around us, we appear to be going backwards"

I guess I can safely replace "appear to be" with "are" now, yeah?

THE END IS NIGH!

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

darn i knew i shoulda bought eircom shares instead !!

as seen on ie.comp regarding same article...

I sent a short note on this to Jamie Smyth (IT), Andrew McLindon (ENN) and Tim Richardson (The Reg):
    "BuysandSell.net [can't even spell the name of their own service] is withdrawing from the ISP (Internet Service Provider) market. This follows from a decision by our former majority shareholder, Scoot.com to discontinue the ISP business as it was not considered to be part of their corporate strategy. We have made arrangements for our dial-up customers with an alternative ISP supplier, UTV Internet, to ensure that you continue to access the Internet and/or use e-mail."

http://www.buyandsell.net/?section=isp

If you feel like giving IrelandOffline a mention: "We've been saying for quite some time that we feel like we're going backwards in Ireland, and now that feeling is even more apparent. Eircom must roll out flat-rate services soon if Ireland is to become at all competitive. A recents study[1] of FRIACO in the UK has proven that unmetered services are viable and even necessary in the marketplace. Eircom's excuses are sounding more and more like FUD[2]."

[1] http://www.analysys.com/Articles/StandardArticle.asp?iLeftArticle=926
    [2] http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/FUD.html

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Shame to see any ISP going out of business but buyandsell.net was a fairly badly handled implementation anyway. You'd probably have to issue a press release for ENN to run it Adam. There's probably a good post-mortem story for Business And Finance or Bizplus. (Actually Bizplus had a nice piece on Buyandsell when it started.)

Regards...jmcc

No wonder UTV Internet has been so ****e over the last few days!

I can't get on UTV at all. It hangs at authentication. Very annoying.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Bah. I knew this internet thing was just a fad.

*warms up his smoke signalometer*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I hear the latency is better with flashlight803.22x

Shame to see any ISP going out of business but buyandsell.net was a fairly badly handled implementation anyway.

Another Mary Mangan beauty, eh John? :)

You'd probably have to issue a press release for ENN to run it Adam.

Ya think?

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=4763346

:D

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Shame to see any ISP going out of business but buyandsell.net was a fairly badly handled implementation anyway.

Another Mary Mangan beauty, eh John? :)

Yep. :) She was MD of IOL before it was sold to Esat for a huge amount - naturally she left first. MD of Buyandsell.net - buyandsell crashes and burns. Now Chief Operating Officer of ireland.com - most journos probably have ireland.com's obit written and undated. Not that we are a cynical bunch or anything. ;)
    You'd probably have to issue a press release for ENN to run it Adam.

Ya think?

[/B]

Damn - that is almost a good enough story for Hackwatch - ENN runs real news without receiving press release. ;)

Regards...jmcc

Yep. :) She was MD of IOL before it was sold to Esat for a huge amount - naturally she left first. MD of Buyandsell.net - buyandsell crashes and burns. Now Chief Operating Officer of ireland.com - most journos probably have ireland.com's obit written and undated. Not that we are a cynical bunch or anything. ;)

And she's going to have to tread carefully in ireland.com too. At a recent IIA event in Cork (sorry), she said that they'll be charging for content next, or at least the archives. It's not impossible, but it'll be bloody tricky.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by jmcc

Damn - that is almost a good enough story for Hackwatch

Ohhh - so you screen out stories that aren't "good enough"?

Nothing must have been *really* newsworthy in the past... ooh... 17 days or so, then...?

Chris_533976: REMOVE THAT SIG OR I WILL REMOVE YOUR POSTS.

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by dahamsta

pld Mr. Beecher:)

Originally posted by Bard

Ohhh - so you screen out stories that aren't "good enough"?

Yeah it is called editorial control. Unlike ENN, I don't run press releases verbatim and call it news. That is not journalism - that is PR. The stuff I run in HW is objective (or to quote some people, objectionable) coverage.

Nothing must have been *really* newsworthy in the past... ooh... 17 days or so, then...?

A lot of stuff but since I am a bit busy building *the* best Irish search engine and working on the whoisireland.com project, I have had little time to update HW.

Since I have now properly indexed 62OOO Irish owned domains and their websites, maybe I will get the chance to upgrade HackWatch to a CMS with more frequent updated articles.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement