Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laughing stock of Europe..surprise surprise..

Options
  • 23-11-2001 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Just back from Brussels
    And was so in shock at what id seen I thought id share...
    First off they pay 20 quid a month for adsl ("home" use,office is a tad more expensive but you get 4 dedicated ip's and connection sharing is alloweed hosting your own site et etc..not the crap that Eircom are on about),uncapped !

And Europe being Europe bumped in to someone from Holland too who explained it was 20 quid a month there too !

When I told the person I was doing the work for the story with Irish net access..i.e. no flat rate..the proposed prices for ADSL the caps etc he laughed his ass off..and his next comment was 'I thought you were the E-Hub of Europe or something?"

Then I had to explain that was bullsh*t,now he is not going to set up offices in Ireland because of the state of the net access here,he would have employed easily upwords of 30 ppl,and brought in more clients that would spend their money here adding money to the economy etc etc..

How many other companies are doing the same,I think Ireland is so far behind as regards decent Internet connections there is no turning back Adsl will be out dated by the time it gets to 60% of Irish house holds/regions id say..and then we will stilll be missing out on employment opputunites etc.

And the worst part of the whole trip was leaving Dublin airport I saw a sign advertising Eircom that read something like 'Welcome to the most advanced communicators in Europe" with "hi-tech" type crap all over it.

Our economy is being murdered by f*cking assh*les like Eircom..and the goverment seems to have no power over it..Ehub of Europe my ass..I find it disturbing that that term is such a commen term to people who live in Ireland and people who know of Ireland..beacuse its plain and simple lies/propaganda/bulls*it

rant rant rant etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

*bonk*

jaw hits keyboard

score punt ??

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Originally posted by NeMiSiS
    Then I had to explain that was bullsh*t,now he is not going to set up offices in Ireland because of the state of the net access here,he would have employed easily upwords of 30 ppl,and brought in more clients that would spend their money here adding money to the economy etc etc..

If this person would allow you to quote him on the above, it would make an excellent citation for a letter to your favourite TD on the subject..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Screw that Fergus, it would make an excellent citation for IrelandOffline in general. We can add it to the Genesis farce. NeMiSiS, how about asking your friend if he'd mind talking to someone from IrelandOffline about this? I'd be delighted to drop him a line some day for a chat.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

Even better.. if he'll agree to it! But I'm sure you have ways.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I wont be in touch with him till the new year and he's fairly busy up until then but ill be back over there in January.I told him to check out irelandoffline.com as he is irish and living in belguim.

But I will mention it too him when I see him next,but as regards what you wanna ask him im not clear.Like I know ppl that are moving to Holland for decent net access and they can properly telework from there..

Another thing thayt dawned on me was..ive been working in networking etc for nearly 3 years and that was the first time id ever been in contact with an ADSL connection,leased lines and things ive seen but never ever adls thats a sick joke realy aint it ?

anyway,gimmie a shout if ya need more info about why he wont move back to eire,and the other ppl planning on moving away because of the access

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

But I will mention it too him when I see him next,but as regards what you wanna ask him im not clear.

I'd like to talk to him about his plans to bring business to Ireland, and his final decision not to come over here when he realised the comms situation. If that really is the case, and he was going to employ a reasonable amount of people over here, that's serious ammunition to take to government. We need businesses to come into Ireland and employ people right now.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Sounds good,Ill mention it to him

Ask him how many people he would have intended employing,this may include contractors etc setting up his network security etc

Expected revenue from the venture etc

I can get the fella moving to Holland to mail you an explanation as to why he is moving there..like case studies as too why Ireland is loosing out in the tech sector.I also heard Microsoft withdrew a contact from Ireland because the comms infrastrucure was crap,ill get details on that on monday,

so like a case study on business who wont come here,people moving away becase the need decent internet connections to do their job,and of maybe Irish companies struggling with huge internet bills,Ill see what I can do and mail you whatever info I get directly and how to approach these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭MS

Hey im sure there must be loads of people and communication compainies out there that would like to express why they have not set up their buisness in Ireland if we just knew how to find them. We could ask them to answer a small Survey or something like that ? And present it to the ODTR, Eircon etc. Along with the price survey ?

MS

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by NeMiSiS
    I thought you were the E-Hub of Europe or something?

Yeah Dublin is the e-hub of Europe, but not of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Victor

Yeah Dublin is the e-hub of Europe, but not of Ireland.

hehe yeh , Adsl/cable/satellite is available in almost every major town/city in Holland....even in towns the size of athlone at irt cheap prices.
    As an example, cable is available in Hoorn, Holland (same size as prob athlone )....and adsl is available in Bocholt, Germany(same size as prob Galway city) for roughly £40/mnth with no caps, and it is WIDESPREAD not just for geeks !

• Advertisement
Advertisement