Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Rats (Spreading the plague)

Options
  • 23-11-2001 7:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I was paid a visit from one of 'their' rats last night who called at about 6:30 to try and persuade me to use their subscription internet service having being kicked from Eshat in June. Normally I'd have told him to f*ck off but I decided to confront him.

I found the whole situation hilarious. Like, this festering weasal of a guy standing in the dark, dressed in a suit and tie trying to get me to 'subscribe to eircom.' I spoke to him as I would anyone, let him have his say then, when he was least expecting it I said "I know your here to say nice things about eircom and you're just doing your job but.. I can't be bothered subscribing to a service that will cost me less for peak time calls when it's because of you that other companies can't offer competitive rates. And your rates are still far too expensive."

Rat: "*squeak* but Sir, we are the cheapest in Ireland.. And if you want low cost internet access and call charges......"

Me: "Move to england?"

Rat: Looking puzzled

Me: "What's the story with the Local Loop Unbundling situation.. When will I have a decent broad band service from a third party provider?"

Rat: "Well Sir, please see this leaflet"

Me: "Don't talk to me about I-Stream"

Rat: "It's not I-Stream, it's our high speed internet service" (He hands me a leaflet for f*cking ISDN!)

Me: "Hail IrelandOffline!" (I would love to have handed him a Blackout flyer at this stage but I didn't have any"

The nerve of these people..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

you know it would be great if eircom sent those guys out to all our houses, we could tell them in person like that DL did there :))

altho that may increase the number of deaths in the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

I hate salesmen and politicans at the door too (and I've a dog who can smell them a mile off :)) but you've got to feel sorry for some sod in a suit trying to get you to buy an Internet subscription at half past six in the evening. I doubt he's there out of choice.

Would most Eircom staff not want ADSL and FRIACO? The engineers get a rake of work doing ADSL installs and setting up FRIACO and the salespersons (let's not be sexist ;)) can sell products that people actually want. Yer man in the suit I'm sure would much rather be getting the commission on the hundreds he's taken off you for ADSL than an Eircom.net sub.

I'm guilty myself of having a go at Eircom when they ring but I think in future I might take on a patronising tone and explain the whole thing to them. Better they go away remembering you to be the first person to call on when ADSL does come out.

when i rang eircom about for ADSL info from canteen in cit they took me details and said they'd be in touch when it reaches my area. like about 2020 id say

nehoo 2 weeks later they ring me at home :

"mr rea, you were inquiring about ADSL in the cork area"

i thought my dreams were comin thru !!,,,,until

"well we can offer you high-speed at our lowest ever price"

i hung up on him, probably wasnt fair on him, but it was such a tackey sales thing to do that i was too enraged to tell him so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ha, they probably stoped that, id give him something to talk about allright.

btw i have to ask, are you one of the people that joined because we were on grafton street

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I had that same phone call where they said that they understood i was interested in i-stream in limerick

we can offer you our hi speed service they said

"was I interest en h speed " i asked him

no but..

guess what Im still not interested I asked about i- streem not hi speed because I dont see hi-speed as being value for money please call me when I streem is here inlimerick and not before that

didnt get a chance to hang up he done it first

and he didnt even say goodbye boo hoo

given the choice between eircom hi speed and chorus powernet I may go for the power net. I dont think i go through 3 gigs in a month then with the higher speed i might end up downloading more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Advertising ADSL and then trying to get you to take ISDN is very dodgy practise. That sort of thing is covered under the ASAI (Advertising) Code of Standards, and in the past complaints like that have been upheld. If you were contacted like that would you consider a letter to the ASAI?

Also, would the Data Protection Act not cover such behaviour? You only gave your details for the provision of ADSL, not ISDN. Unfortunately I have only spoke to Eircom once so much as I would love to make complaints about them I can’t :mad:

btw i have to ask, are you one of the people that joined because we were on grafton street

me ? no ive been a member long b4 that....
    would you consider a letter to the ASAI?

dammit i never thought of that...but its too long ago now to make a complaint...

ill keep that in mind the next time I wana buy a dog and i get info bout a pig ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

ill keep that in mind the next time I wana buy a dog and i get info bout a pig

ROFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 [-=DeathLord=-]

>> btw i have to ask, are you one of the people that joined
    >> because we were on grafton street

No, I've been a supporter since day one.. Just haven't posted before.

Advertisement