Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelance

• 23-11-2001 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering are we allowed post availabilty here if someone is looking for contract/permanent work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Forgot to ask aswell

How in the blue hell do you set yourself up as a freelance type person thingy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Real simple, get some business cards and NOD (knock on doors), you have to tell people what you can do, getting the first contract is the hardest, after that, if you do a good job people will spread the word

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    How in the blue hell do you set yourself up as a freelance type person thingy
    Depends how serious or how long you want to (or have to) go freelance. Entry level would be some business cards and a Web site to tout your services. If you decide to go in for the long haul, you should begin to consider issues such as incorporation to a limited company status, professional indemnity insurance and VAT.

Either way, income tax is an issue (unless you don't make any money ;) ) so I'd suggest you begin collecting receipts right away as they can be put against any tax you'll have to pay.

Also, either way, knocking on doors, networking and general whoring yourself around is essential. If you've got contacts, use them mercilessly. Attend industry events and subscribe to the various mailing lists. You may even get work from other freelancers, especially if your expertise is different to theirs. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

ok thanks for all the feedback, there is just one other question I do have

if, and I do mean if, I went down the freelance road, without doing the limited company, income tax thingy ;), would that affect my chances of going for a more permanent position, if I make reference to my "freelance" work on any cv.????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Ph3n0m
    if, and I do mean if, I went down the freelance road, without doing the limited company, income tax thingy ;), would that affect my chances of going for a more permanent position, if I make reference to my "freelance" work on any cv.????
    No. I'd actually have more respect for someone who had the initiative to source, execute and bill for his or her own work.

In the end, if you’ve tangible experience, that’s all that matters – that you can do the job, on time and on budget, regardless of whether you did it as a drone in sector 7G or from your bedroom.

(Edited a small typo)

• Advertisement
Advertisement