Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J1 / Summers Abroad Experiences :)

• 23-11-2001 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Well what (if any) has been ppl's experience of working abroad for the summer on a J1 or within europe?

Personally I had a good time in NYC in the summer of 99.

I had a job going out, working the queens county Public Administrators Office- which is responsible for ppl who die in-testate (without a will) and then paying off their funeral and other expenses w/ their remaining assets. The job was fine, if not a little morbid, dealing w/ dead people all the time but evryone in the office was really nice. the pay was $12 an hour so that was compensation enough:)

I lived in an apartment on queens Boulevard in Sunnyside which I shared w/ a Ukranian dancer and Ballet Performist:p Honest to god, some of the wirdest folks I've ever met, but the place and the apartment was nice.

New York being New York meant there was never not something goin on, so I was also active. I obviously did alot of tourist things, but I also enjoyed museums and gallerys like the Guggenheim and the frick collection. Mostly myself and a few mates of mine who were living in Harlem went to see alot of Baseball. Mostly we'd just show up @ Shea Stadium and buy tickets for píssmoney off scalpers.
    Theres also this really cool bar down on Bleacher Street in Greenwich Viallge called the Edge which we used to go to alot. It had dart boards and pool tables and played cool music- which is rare for Manhattan Bars- so that was a frequent hangout as well.

Overall had a good time, made some friends I've kept in contact with and also have the job to put on my CV. So I'd recommend J1 for anyone thinking about applying in the new year.

I know I've been brief but I suppose if you are going to tell us all about ypur experience, stick to some essentials like....

When / Where did go
    Where to you work / live
    How much did you get paid
    What did you do for fun
    Advantages / Disadvantages
    Likes / Dislikes
    Any advice for others

Cheers. Look forward to hearing about your experiences:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

DCU T.V due to air in April will have a series of programmes called 'Let Loose', telling of students experiences in ny, toronto, L.A over the summer so look out for that................... i've seen the toronto one..it's gr8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lazer

i did that a few years ago. i put college off for a year after my leaving cert 99. i always wanted to go travelling, and still want to get back out there, but stuck in middle of degree hell?

anywho back to my story, in about feb`99, i booked a great package with www.trailfinders.com which took me from Thailand all the way accross to L.A. that summer after my leaving cert, i headed off in about july.

i flew from london to dubhai, and from there to thailand. i backpaced some of the way through thailand, but i was just gone 18, and was a little to much to take in.. anyone who was ever there will understand?

i got trains/bus/cars to a country called Java, and from there airport i flew to darwin(Oz). i knew people there, and the took me down through to sydney, via the east coast, which was soo beautifull....some parts were better that thailand?

from then on it was pretty much normal travelling to L.A. i didnt go as planned to and pacific islands( home sick...) but i am planning to do the whole thing again, and for more than 4 months this time, i didnt get to see everything, kinda ran past most of it, it was all done at such a young age,and soo fast, but to anyone who is reading this, and is thinking of going away, go for it? i only went fot 4 months, i went a bit to far to realy understand what it was like, but im def going again, but im going and dont realy no when im coming back. thats my idea of realy seeing the world, not to have everything planned

Advertisement