Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heatsink/Fan for ABITKT7A

Options
  • 23-11-2001 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Howdy ,

Curious as to what people think is the best fan/heatsink for the board. Will be running a athlon 1.4 on it, probably not overclocked. ( for the time being anyway ).

Any old one ? I've seen ones on peats site, titan majesty, i think it was.. Any poblems with these ? Any opinions at all would be good.

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ive got a ABIT KG7-Raid with a 1.4 and im using an SK6 Heatsink -
    massive copper jobbie :) - atm im using a REALLY noisey delta 60mm fan that runs at 7200rpm - about 40cfm i think
    changing to a YS - TECH fan but i hear SUNON are good also - and much quiter ;) i got them here

<edit> theres a link for ya ;) </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Verb
    Howdy ,

Curious as to what people think is the best fan/heatsink for the board. Will be running a athlon 1.4 on it, probably not overclocked. ( for the time being anyway ).

Any old one ? I've seen ones on peats site, titan majesty, i think it was.. Any poblems with these ? Any opinions at all would be good.

Cheers,
    Gav

Im using the Globalwin FOP-38 with a 1.2hz 266FSB Thunderbird o/c to 1.4gz in the above said board without any probs....

Clocked to 1.4gz first time , can even go higher and Temp rarely if ever goes beyond 36 degress.

carbsy.

P.S. The coolermaster ATC-201 case makes a great paring with above cooler :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Do not use the Titan Majesty cooler. Despite looking impressive or whatever, its actually useless.

A decent cheap cooler is the top coolermaster model, can't think of the model number, but its a huge yoke, rated for 1.33ghz, but way better than coolermasters 1.4ghz cooler, which tries to use heat pipes and fails miserably.

Top of the line cooling would be the alpha pal 8045 from ocuk, about 30 quid sterling. It uses the holes around the socket to mount, so is very safe and secure. Its 80mm square, and so can use 80mm fans which push more air while sounding much less annoying.

I am currently building a machine with this cooler, and a 1.4ghz palomino (xp 1600). I don't have a fan on the heatsink, but a duct going to the 80mm fan on the back of the case, just to see if it will run ok.

Top temperature so far is 42 degrees, thats looping 3dmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I agree with Strat....I am using the SK6 + Delta 6800 Screamer and it is a screamer....

Ok, it does a great job in keeping the XP under 38DegC, but damn it is loud...I will probably source a quieter 5,500rpm fan somewhere else hopefully.

James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Any luck yet Verb? I'm in pretty much the same position, getting a cheap KT-7A RAID lookalike and 1.3GHz Athlon, not likely to overclock it. I'm looking at just getting a standard fan and heatsink from my local PC shop for 20 quid sterling, claims to go up to 1.5GHz. I'm also getting a heat extractor (fits in ISA slot) for a fiver. Might reduce the need for a more powerful cooler. On the other hand I could be talking ****e :D any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

With a 1.2ghz I'm using a SK6 with an 80-60mm duct/80mm-36cfm fan. Nice, efficient and quiet (29db).

BTW, a lot of people keep mentioning 'not overclocking' as if it's important for heat-levels. It's not really. The heat output is down to the speed, whether you overclock or not to get there is not relevant. Heat does become an issue with overclocking in that one of the reasons the chip might be rated as 1.2 instead of 1.4 is that it is not stable at the temp. it would run at 1.4 (just one reason anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

I bought a abit kt7a and a t-bird 1.33ghz 266fsb last wednesday. For cooling I use a dragon orb 3 , tis a monster of a fan , copper base with a 7000rpm fan ,the fan puts out 38cfm but only emits 37dBA which is a hell of lot quieter than a delta which is 10dbA louder. It works a treat, cpu never goes over 44DegC. I got the whole lot for 200 quid from dabs.com . I think the fan was 14 quid , well worth it imho

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

OK, I've got an ASUS mobo, but anyway....

I can heartily recommend the Thermoengine V60-4210, which I picked up from here. I'm using the "quieter" one - which has a 3*00 rpm YS-Tech fan, rather than a 6800 rpm Delta (also available).

It keeps my 1.4 T'bird loverly and cool, was Easy to install, and isnt all that loud.

Well recommend it.

You can find a slightly out-of-date comparison of the big players here. There are other, newer coolers about, but the Thermoengine is still a good bet, and not too expensive.

Oh - and as with any cooler, get rid of the PPOD (pink pad of death) or whatever is on the base, and use some silver thermal compound. When removing said PPOD, dont use anything abrasive to remove it. Peel it away, and if there's any residue use a cleaning solvent (nail varnish remover, meths, etc) to get a nice smooth finish.

jc

Advertisement