Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The little browser that could... version 6.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Must you pimp your FREAK of a browser here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Oh by golly YES!

(It's great, you see...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

boo-yar.

Hmmm... well it understands boards.ie's menu now, and colours the buttons better. I might actually use it for a while.

Still boo-yarin' but is it just me or does this version seem to hog a lot of bandwith?

• Advertisement

Don't really notice it meself.

Actually I've noticed a slight *improvement* in speed, if anything.

The only real bug I've noticed in version six is that it doesn't seem to handle meta refresh tags... for example the one on the page http://www.boards.ie/irelandoffline/ which should have sent me to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=60 ...

not a MAJOR problem and easy for them to fix, I'm sure,--- bit of an oversight, though!

Hmm, must be just me after all.

Btw, Bard, sig looks rubbish on the dark background, jus so u know :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

amp ye bastid, why did you delete my post... GRRRR

and pie, stop using the dark background;), come to the light side

Originally posted by Baz_
    and pie, stop using the dark background;), come to the light side

nevaaaaaaaaaarrrrr...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭corkie

Pitty about the large banner ad on the navigation menu!
    Yes I know can pay to get it removed or use an older version!
    Or I can wait for Mozilla 1.0 Which hope fully will be out by the End of April.

Until then I will stick with IE6 which I have tweeked to make it run the way. I want it to!

But I will run opera once and a while to compare it and also probably test some of my own code!

Now where do you get the Java for it?

should be somewhere on the site.

Or if you mean without the long download, I dont know, you also should be able to get it from sun somewhere www.sun.com but you're better off getting from the opera site.

Originally posted by PiE
    Btw, Bard, sig looks rubbish on the dark background, jus so u know :cool:

Cheers,... I presume you're talking about the "fiery" one... it's only a temporary one until I find the time to make a deadly-sexy-cool one :rolleyes:

Anyway... the dark background manages to look rubbish all on it's own :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Java Plugin home page

I first got Opera so I could post polls here, but I haven't look back since, IE begone from my life.

I like the advance features of the Download utiity that comes with Opera.

Now downloading 'jre-1_3_1_01-win.exe' at 4.0 KB/s

The thing is I may allready have an older version with mozilla.

I am just hoping that the download is successful first time round!

It took me four attempts to get Opera 6.

The first time lost connection at 85%.
    The second attempt it load to 95% and stalled and was curropted
    The third using FTP. But when I tried to run the installer I got an error 'Does Not Work in DOS' even when I was running in windows.
    The fourth attempt I used Bard link for it!

Added after download!
    Okay got the JAVA on the first try!

I also note Dynamic HTML doesn't work with opera
    (i.e. coolmenu3 see dhtmlcentral Just something to note when building website's )

Netscape used to be my main browser. But IE6 recently became it because I found Netscape latest version to resources dependent. I have only a P 166 here with 32mb ram. It does the Job for me and until we have afforable broadband in Ireland, I see no point in upgrading!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

d/l'd it last nite to use in work. Pretty damn good. Especially the whole multi window stuff. Better than having 20 instances of IE hogging up memory. Few bugs, but hey, what can you do? Actually is there a setting for executing files d/l'd automatically? Whenever I click on a .exe, .swf, .zip etc link, it just takes the file and displays it as text in the browser window :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Here's a question for you - what's a thread on a browser doing in the Webmaster forum?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

because people who use opera are WEBMASTARS!!!!!!
    obviously ;)

Duh.

What, all of them?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dahamsta

What, all of them?

Most of them at least, you have to know how you're site looks in different browsers. I have a question for you.

Where else do you think it should be put???

Most of them at least, you have to know how you're site looks in different browsers. I have a question for you.

You mean the only people who use Opera are webmasters who just use it to check that other webmasters, who won't be visiting their sites because they only use it to check their own, will be able to view it if they visit their sites, which they won't, because they'll only be using it to check their own sites? (And so on, and so on, on the Möbius strip that you seem to believe is Opera.)

Wow!

Technology.

adam

You mean the only people who use Opera are webmasters who just use it to check that other webmasters, who won't be visiting their sites because they only use it to check their own, will be able to view it if they visit their sites, which they won't, because they'll only be using it to check their own sites? (And so on, and so on, on the Möbius strip that you seem to believe is Opera.)

Exactly. I can see you're no fool.

Here's a question for you - what's a thread on a browser doing in the Webmaster forum?

adam

This thread has gone where no thread has gone before

It could easily be moved to the humour board.

But here is a scary thaught if
    Opera/Netscape/Mozilla are only use by webmaster as adam
    suggested then you know what that means don't you?

But we are forgetting that the MAC and LINUX user who don't get
    IE forced on them. But then again these minority user of those systems are more likely tech/webmaster's anyway!

Technology.

adam [/B]

Nah, browsers are well within the scope of Webmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

LOL - like it! I used Opera almost exclusively for a few months, stopped using it when I reformatted and because I had trouble on boards.ie with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I can't seem to post polls. Is this cos of Opera v. 6, or cos somethings happened with boards that I don't know about?

Advertisement