Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband access for Dublin..... whats the story?

• 12-06-2000 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

I'm getting well tired of plodding along at standard modem speeds/dropped lines/repeated dial-up attempts and, like many others i'm sure, am eager to get some decent bandwidth into the house particularly since i want to get back to Quake et al online.

Anyone know what the latest is on NTL/Cablelinks offering or Eircoms vapourware ADSL service???

I'd be *real* ****ed if i stump up the £££ for ISDN now and find i can get decent cable access a couple of months down the line.

Any rumours/recommendations welcome!......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

LOL
    Yep, that's all I can find too, speculation.
    I've been haunting the Cablelink site for months, but the section about cable net-access hasn't been changed in many months.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Rumour: NTL is ready to rollout cable.
    Actual chance of this happening this year: Bugger all.

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Just to add to the latest rumours i've been 'reliably' informed that Eircom are preparing to roll out a dsl service in about 6 weeks time, installation charge £200, dunno *any* other specifics yet.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

ntl called here this morning to tell us that they are installing fibre optic cable to out road and area this week.
    the woman said that they're should be high-speed access soon

hmmm
    doubt it
    but its a good start

MiCr0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Ok lets get this right. Ok ADSL (HDSL or DSL)
    can be setup to work at any range up to 15Km away from the telphone exchange, what is the main desider in the range is the telphone company and what speed they want to give people you can have up to 56mb a sec under 1km but then you lose 50% of the people as most people live more than 1km away from the exchange, and is can be setup to go as far as 15km with speeds of 256K it's up to the telphone company. Eircom has ADSL working there is no reasn why they can not bring it in. but eircom will lose too much money from bring it in, the large money they make from tie lines (lease lines) there is no benfet to them. users will pay no telphone call bills, you could video call someone insted of telphoneing them and you do not pay a telphone charge, the ISP's would need to have 20 times the bandwith for the same number of users(all large ISP's in ireland owened by the telphone companys(Esat and Eircom)) the IPS's would not make any more money from users so profit would be less (IPS's get part of the call charges you pay about 45% of your tellphone bill goes to them, that is how free ISP's work) so there is not one large company in ireland that wants to bring in ADSL, Esat could bring in HDSL today insede of lease lines that they charge a mint for.
    (HDSL is setup over a tie line from your place to the ISP which is not cheep about 3 grand a year in ireland for the tie line and then what the ISP chared for the speed of your con, but it can be up to 20mb a sec and no need to get in to the exchange to set it up, so esat could bring that out right now)
    and as for cable the one company that might have been able Cablelink, can not bring it in. Why ? becose the two comapnys that owend cablelink befor NTL were who ? Eircom and RTE , and what could a cable company do? bring in cheep telphone calls and 200 channel TV and very cheep, so what do Eircom and RTE do know well that they would be made to sell cablelink in the a few years, they make sure that anyone one who buys cablelink will have to speen 500mill to upgrade the cable network becose Eircom and RTE did not spend money on it. (which means that NTL will not have cable for at least 1 to 2 years, sorry )

Coyote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

well not with that attitude anyway.

Just keep saying to yourself:

"cable is coming"

"cable is coming"

"cable is coming"

"cable is coming"

"cable is coming"

"cable is coming"

"cable is coming"

"cable is coming"

"cable is coming"

"cable is coming"

"cable is coming"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Bluehair:
    Just to add to the latest rumours i've been 'reliably' informed that Eircom are preparing to roll out a dsl service in about 6 weeks time, installation charge £200, dunno *any* other specifics yet.........

Sounds like the same propaganda that they were feeding to the JAFA technology journalists in the Irish Times and on most of the rags. Eircon put this story out everytime something bad happens to them. The cluess JAFA technology journalists don't have the brains to spot this kind of disinformation program and run the story.

A source said that Eircom have delayed the rollout of DSL until second or third quarter *next* year.

NTL are telling people in their Waterford base that they are going to be selling services from next month. I have to get some confirmation on that though. I'd expect all hell to break loose when NTL start pitching phone/internet service. Eircom's share price should take a major hit as it will signal the end of business as usual for Eircon.

Until there is competition, it is unlikely that Eircon will get their corporate asses in gear and give the people fast connections.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement